Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The Carryover Factor

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Chris,

You mean independence wasn't in 1796?

I thought about posing the Maris Jersey as a scenario to Justin but I don't know him too well yet. Besides you tell the story better than I would have.

Thanks for the additional example too. One of the things that strikes me about carryovers is that I see them as a possible steal as many collector will shy away from such item if they are not open to the possibility of crossovers, resulting in less bids at auction.
    1796? You mean I missed the 're-do' of our Bi-Centennial 14 years ago???

I agree with you about the 'steals to be had' if you'll just keep an open mind - and do your research. It may not be the 'exact' item you had in your mind's eye, but that doesn't make it any less real or valuable or historical... an item is what an item is.

As far as the additional example, it's what keeps me in the hobby - finding those steals and doing my homework... if you don't know the story, ask me about my $25 (DLVD) Clark Griffith single signed ball sometime - an eBay steal - for a HOFer whose single signed balls range around $2,000 - $3,200.

Oh... and thanks for the kind words on my 'condensed' version of the Maris jersey!

All the best -

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Joel -

Now Joel - and I'm surprised no one else caught your typo - I'd like to see photo proof of this one:

Chris
    Chris, here is the photo. I need to ask about that other baseball sometime.
    So its a 1976 bat used in 1977, when Munson and Jackson first became teammates.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Chris, here is the photo. I need to ask about that other baseball sometime.
    So its a 1976 bat used in 1977, when Munson and Jackson first became teammates.
    Great pics!

And a collector would throw that bat 'out of bed' why??? Because it's a 'carry over'?

Just like the story in this previous GUU thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=26088

About Josh Hamilton using a 40 YEAR OLD LVS of Joe Macko's.

Not ONLY a different player's bat, not only a 'carry over' from a previous season... it's a Carry Over from 4 decades earlier!!!

I'd LOVE to have it in my collection!!!

- Chris

HAHAHAHA... Joel.... you're killing me!

It just hit me why you put the photo up... I was being sarcastic about seeing photo proof of him using it in 1997!!!

I need to get off of here and go to bed... it's a work day tomorrow... drop me an eMail and I'll tell you all about my Griffith ball...

All the best -

Chris
    xpress34@comcast .net

these two baseballs were bought at comerica park last april...both authenticated as used in the april 15th game....both minor league balls...different minor leagues at that!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Two bats I have which Gary Carter used to obtain milestones in 1986 (his 250th home run and 900th RBI) are from the 1985 season.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    HAHAHAHA... Joel.... you're killing me!

It just hit me why you put the photo up... I was being sarcastic about seeing photo proof of him using it in 1997!!!

I need to get off of here and go to bed... it's a work day tomorrow... drop me an eMail and I'll tell you all about my Griffith ball...

All the best -

Chris
    xpress34@comcast .net
    Chris,

I thought I would come clean before I get labeled as a revisionist historian as I misspoke on Dave's location of his HR catch too. hahaha.

I got the photo from another thread on here while doing a search. There are more posts about jersey carryovers when I searched for examples. I appreciate others who contributed other examples from their own collection in this thread.

I will send you an email on the baseball story.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    these two baseballs were bought at comerica park last april...both authenticated as used in the april 15th game....both minor league balls...different minor leagues at that!!
    just curious what is on the mlb database. can you share the hologram number?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    If you dont mind , what are the authentication #'s on these two balls.
    Do you think they were actually used in the game or just tagged incorrectly ? Having caught dozens of these in bp from the Tigers over the past 3+ years , I would think that an authenticator either was lazy
    and didnt look at the balls they were authenicating or just didnt know any better. Im curious what kind of trainning these authenticators go through , and what exactly happens to the bag of game balls after the game . Do they get locked up out of reach of anyone or are they just sitting in a corner somewhere until they get tagged . Im guessing that someone probably picked up a few balls laying around and tossed them into the bag of game balls. And as above , the authenicator didnt look all to closely at what he/she was doing .

Considering how different the seams are on the minor league baseballs I would think the umpire would surely notice when/if he grabbed one out of
    his bag. And the pitcher would probably have a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon given the opportunity to throw one of these again

And yes in April of 2000 a few gamers game out of Wrigley as National League . And in 2005 , after the all star game , two game home runs that landed on the streets were 2005 Comerica Park all star baseballs

Banned

Carryovers are more common than you may think. Especially if it is Yankees related.

I own a number of carry over items / recycled items from the Yankees.

I actually have now which I am selling a Yankees pair of game used pants from 1978 that was probably used then (But can also be dated to being used by a specific player from 1980)
    So here is a pair of pants, Used by one player and then most likely not used again till 3 seasons later.

I have in my own collection Darryl Strawberry Rookie Game Used Road pants but it was issued to another player. Since he was a mid season call up he didnt have his own pants and they gave him someone elses.

Now to answer your question would I prefer items to be originaly intended for (Player A) to be used by (Player A) - of course, but some times that item may not exist.

Sometimes you can luck out with a carry over item and you pick up some no name player Jersey later to find out the year before it was worn by a superstar.

I think batting helmets are famous for this many times you will find manufaturer dates on the batting helmets and then not actually used till years later.

I think the Maris Jersey has to be one of the most coveted carryovers if you think about it.
    1960 Jersey used also in 61
    1960 Maris MVP
    1961 Breaks Home Run Record
    1961 World Series Champs

So many significances to that Jersey WOW