Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: The Carryover Factor

On Russell gamer MLB jerseys, I have seen the 1992 design Russell tag pop up on jerseys issued for 1997 and even 1998. It's not common, by any means, but it does happen.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Speaking of carryover - Just recently I held a 1976 George Foster Centennial bat that was purchased from the Reds 580 gift shop and it had the date of use as being 1978. TWO years later.

Could it be a batch that George just liked? I don't know the reason why he would use a bat that is two years old..but he did.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsportstuff View Post
    Speaking of carryover - Just recently I held a 1976 George Foster Centennial bat that was purchased from the Reds 580 gift shop and it had the date of use as being 1978. TWO years later.

Could it be a batch that George just liked? I don't know the reason why he would use a bat that is two years old..but he did.
    Also possible that the gift shop made an error when labeling the date of use.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

The hologram numbers on the baseballs are LH299471 & LH299474....I believe it was jackie Robinson day too if they did anything special w/ the balls that day....
    Hologram number LH299474 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
    Session Product Description:
    Session Name: CWS AT DET
    Session Date: April 15, 2009
    Autographer:
    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
    Additional Information: CHICAGO @ DETROIT
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    The hologram numbers on the baseballs are LH299471 & LH299474....I believe it was jackie Robinson day too if they did anything special w/ the balls that day....
    Hologram number LH299474 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
    Session Product Description:
    Session Name: CWS AT DET
    Session Date: April 15, 2009
    Autographer:
    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
    Additional Information: CHICAGO @ DETROIT
    Thanks Dale for pulling out the baseball to get the hologram numbers. No mention of PCL or International League or being a BP baseball in the MLB database for those baseballs. I don't think Jackie Robinson's Day would be a reason to use minor league balls during a game either. Robinson's only minor league team coincidently was the Montreal Royals, a International league team so why the PCL ball if this was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawknet View Post
    Do you think they were actually used in the game or just tagged incorrectly ? Having caught dozens of these in bp from the Tigers over the past 3+ years , I would think that an authenticator either was lazy
    and didnt look at the balls they were authenicating or just didnt know any better. Im curious what kind of trainning these authenticators go through , and what exactly happens to the bag of game balls after the game . Do they get locked up out of reach of anyone or are they just sitting in a corner somewhere until they get tagged . Im guessing that someone probably picked up a few balls laying around and tossed them into the bag of game balls. And as above , the authenicator didnt look all to closely at what he/she was doing .

Considering how different the seams are on the minor league baseballs I would think the umpire would surely notice when/if he grabbed one out of
    his bag. And the pitcher would probably have a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon given the opportunity to throw one of these again

And yes in April of 2000 a few gamers game out of Wrigley as National League . And in 2005 , after the all star game , two game home runs that landed on the streets were 2005 Comerica Park all star baseballs
    This is only my opinion as I have no first hand knowledge of the logistics of storing bp and game used ball at Comerica. Where did the PCL baseball come from? The Detroit equipment manager would never order PCL baseballs since none of the Detroit's affiliates play in the PCL. Taking into consideration Ballhawk’s experience, the intermingling of warm-up baseballs from visiting teams with a PCL affiliate seem like the best explanation. One of the two teams must have picked up a stray baseball somewhere along the way when playing a team with a PCL affiliate and kept it in their practice ball bags. Chicago’s AAA affiliate wasn’t a PCL team either, so this PCL baseball probably was a BP ball left from an earlier series or a stray collected by Detroit personnel in warm-up. Teams could care less what baseball they use for bp. I agree, training of authenticators to be more thorough is in order
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Back in the early 90's there was a Gone Bats article in SCD which reported that the HOF had the bat which Willie McCovey purportedly hit his last home run on display. Problem was the bat was an early 70's HB old label bat and McCovey's last season was 1980. Vince Malta was the one who pointed this out to the author Mike Montbriand.

Speculation was that it may have been an error or perhaps Stretch did pull out an old bat for his final season.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Banned

Just saw a Padres 1997 home Tony Gwynn in Legendary Auctions' current event that has an Alicia Gwynn LOA. It has a 1992-style Russell tag.

Dave M.
    Chicago area