Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: The Carryover Factor

Two bats I have which Gary Carter used to obtain milestones in 1986 (his 250th home run and 900th RBI) are from the 1985 season.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by xpress34
      HAHAHAHA... Joel.... you're killing me!

It just hit me why you put the photo up... I was being sarcastic about seeing photo proof of him using it in 1997!!!

I need to get off of here and go to bed... it's a work day tomorrow... drop me an eMail and I'll tell you all about my Griffith ball...

All the best -

Chris
      xpress34@comcast .net
      Chris,

I thought I would come clean before I get labeled as a revisionist historian as I misspoke on Dave's location of his HR catch too. hahaha.

I got the photo from another thread on here while doing a search. There are more posts about jersey carryovers when I searched for examples. I appreciate others who contributed other examples from their own collection in this thread.

I will send you an email on the baseball story.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by tigerdale
        these two baseballs were bought at comerica park last april...both authenticated as used in the april 15th game....both minor league balls...different minor leagues at that!!
        just curious what is on the mlb database. can you share the hologram number?
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• ballhawknet
          • Nov 2007

these two baseballs were bought at comerica park last april...both authenticated as used in the april 15th game....both minor league balls...different minor leagues at that!!
          If you dont mind , what are the authentication #'s on these two balls.
          Do you think they were actually used in the game or just tagged incorrectly ? Having caught dozens of these in bp from the Tigers over the past 3+ years , I would think that an authenticator either was lazy
          and didnt look at the balls they were authenicating or just didnt know any better. Im curious what kind of trainning these authenticators go through , and what exactly happens to the bag of game balls after the game . Do they get locked up out of reach of anyone or are they just sitting in a corner somewhere until they get tagged . Im guessing that someone probably picked up a few balls laying around and tossed them into the bag of game balls. And as above , the authenicator didnt look all to closely at what he/she was doing .

Considering how different the seams are on the minor league baseballs I would think the umpire would surely notice when/if he grabbed one out of
          his bag. And the pitcher would probably have a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon given the opportunity to throw one of these again

And yes in April of 2000 a few gamers game out of Wrigley as National League . And in 2005 , after the all star game , two game home runs that landed on the streets were 2005 Comerica Park all star baseballs

Comment

• suave1477
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

Carryovers are more common than you may think. Especially if it is Yankees related.

I own a number of carry over items / recycled items from the Yankees.

I actually have now which I am selling a Yankees pair of game used pants from 1978 that was probably used then (But can also be dated to being used by a specific player from 1980)
            So here is a pair of pants, Used by one player and then most likely not used again till 3 seasons later.

I have in my own collection Darryl Strawberry Rookie Game Used Road pants but it was issued to another player. Since he was a mid season call up he didnt have his own pants and they gave him someone elses.

Now to answer your question would I prefer items to be originaly intended for (Player A) to be used by (Player A) - of course, but some times that item may not exist.

Sometimes you can luck out with a carry over item and you pick up some no name player Jersey later to find out the year before it was worn by a superstar.

I think batting helmets are famous for this many times you will find manufaturer dates on the batting helmets and then not actually used till years later.

I think the Maris Jersey has to be one of the most coveted carryovers if you think about it.
            1960 Jersey used also in 61
            1960 Maris MVP
            1961 Breaks Home Run Record
            1961 World Series Champs

So many significances to that Jersey WOW

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

On Russell gamer MLB jerseys, I have seen the 1992 design Russell tag pop up on jerseys issued for 1997 and even 1998. It's not common, by any means, but it does happen.

Dave M.
              Chicago area

Comment

• jbsportstuff
                • Mar 2009

Speaking of carryover - Just recently I held a 1976 George Foster Centennial bat that was purchased from the Reds 580 gift shop and it had the date of use as being 1978. TWO years later.

Could it be a batch that George just liked? I don't know the reason why he would use a bat that is two years old..but he did.

Comment

• harpt
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by jbsportstuff
                  Speaking of carryover - Just recently I held a 1976 George Foster Centennial bat that was purchased from the Reds 580 gift shop and it had the date of use as being 1978. TWO years later.

Could it be a batch that George just liked? I don't know the reason why he would use a bat that is two years old..but he did.
                  Also possible that the gift shop made an error when labeling the date of use.
                  Scott Harpt
                  scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
                  Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• tigerdale
                    • Dec 2007

The hologram numbers on the baseballs are LH299471 & LH299474....I believe it was jackie Robinson day too if they did anything special w/ the balls that day....
                    Hologram number LH299474 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
                    Session Product Description:
                    Session Name: CWS AT DET
                    Session Date: April 15, 2009
                    Autographer:
                    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
                    Additional Information: CHICAGO @ DETROIT
                    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
                    Thank you, Dale
                    tigers1984@comcast.net

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

The hologram numbers on the baseballs are LH299471 & LH299474....I believe it was jackie Robinson day too if they did anything special w/ the balls that day....
                      Hologram number LH299474 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
                      Session Product Description:
                      Session Name: CWS AT DET
                      Session Date: April 15, 2009
                      Autographer:
                      Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
                      Additional Information: CHICAGO @ DETROIT
                      Thanks Dale for pulling out the baseball to get the hologram numbers. No mention of PCL or International League or being a BP baseball in the MLB database for those baseballs. I don't think Jackie Robinson's Day would be a reason to use minor league balls during a game either. Robinson's only minor league team coincidently was the Montreal Royals, a International league team so why the PCL ball if this was the case.

Originally posted by ballhawknet
                      Do you think they were actually used in the game or just tagged incorrectly ? Having caught dozens of these in bp from the Tigers over the past 3+ years , I would think that an authenticator either was lazy
                      and didnt look at the balls they were authenicating or just didnt know any better. Im curious what kind of trainning these authenticators go through , and what exactly happens to the bag of game balls after the game . Do they get locked up out of reach of anyone or are they just sitting in a corner somewhere until they get tagged . Im guessing that someone probably picked up a few balls laying around and tossed them into the bag of game balls. And as above , the authenicator didnt look all to closely at what he/she was doing .

Considering how different the seams are on the minor league baseballs I would think the umpire would surely notice when/if he grabbed one out of
                      his bag. And the pitcher would probably have a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon given the opportunity to throw one of these again

And yes in April of 2000 a few gamers game out of Wrigley as National League . And in 2005 , after the all star game , two game home runs that landed on the streets were 2005 Comerica Park all star baseballs
                      This is only my opinion as I have no first hand knowledge of the logistics of storing bp and game used ball at Comerica. Where did the PCL baseball come from? The Detroit equipment manager would never order PCL baseballs since none of the Detroit's affiliates play in the PCL. Taking into consideration Ballhawk’s experience, the intermingling of warm-up baseballs from visiting teams with a PCL affiliate seem like the best explanation. One of the two teams must have picked up a stray baseball somewhere along the way when playing a team with a PCL affiliate and kept it in their practice ball bags. Chicago’s AAA affiliate wasn’t a PCL team either, so this PCL baseball probably was a BP ball left from an earlier series or a stray collected by Detroit personnel in warm-up. Teams could care less what baseball they use for bp. I agree, training of authenticators to be more thorough is in order
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

Back in the early 90's there was a Gone Bats article in SCD which reported that the HOF had the bat which Willie McCovey purportedly hit his last home run on display. Problem was the bat was an early 70's HB old label bat and McCovey's last season was 1980. Vince Malta was the one who pointed this out to the author Mike Montbriand.

Speculation was that it may have been an error or perhaps Stretch did pull out an old bat for his final season.
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

Just saw a Padres 1997 home Tony Gwynn in Legendary Auctions' current event that has an Alicia Gwynn LOA. It has a 1992-style Russell tag.

Dave M.
                          Chicago area

Comment

Working...