My first Manny Ramirez game-used glove!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nationals2k9
    • Sep 2008

My first Manny Ramirez game-used glove!!!!!

I will have this in-hand as early as today. Glove dates to May ’03 and shows lots of use and dirt along with Manny’s initials “MAR” and number “24” inscribed on the red labeling. Originally from Phil Castinetti / Sportsworld and the now well documented transaction with Manny where Mr. Castinetti went right to Manny’s house and bought a large amount of memorabilia. So far I have only been able to get a very solid style match on the glove (piping around top of hand cutout is brown vs. black in the few images I’ve uncovered) but the use and provenance is amazing and I couldn’t be happier to add this to my collection!
    Attached Files
  • kellsox
    • Jan 2006

Re: My first Manny Ramirez game-used glove!!!!!

Nice glove. The Manny Yard Sale was well documented and the source of many Manny GU items. If it originated from that transaction, why does the letter ID a clubhouse attendant rather than Manny himself as the source?

Comment

• nationals2k9
      • Sep 2008

Good question. Either Mr. Castinetti didn't put much thought into the LOA or it was in fact acquired pre-yard sale and held til a later date? Bottom line is most of know the connection is legit and has been publicized. And I know and trust where I'm getting it from and have been tracking it for months.

Comment

• Manram
        • Nov 2008

Nice glove

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by nationals2k9
          I will have this in-hand as early as today. Glove dates to May ’03 and shows lots of use and dirt along with Manny’s initials “MAR” and number “24” inscribed on the red labeling. Originally from Phil Castinetti / Sportsworld and the now well documented transaction with Manny where Mr. Castinetti went right to Manny’s house and bought a large amount of memorabilia. So far I have only been able to get a very solid style match on the glove (piping around top of hand cutout is brown vs. black in the few images I’ve uncovered) but the use and provenance is amazing and I couldn’t be happier to add this to my collection!
          Very cool. Is the MAR for Manuel Aristides Ramirez on the label? the middle letter is kinda blurred in the photo.
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• nationals2k9
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by joelsabi
            Very cool. Is the MAR for Manuel Aristides Ramirez on the label? the middle letter is kinda blurred in the photo.
            That's what I'd say. Classic sloppy handwriting. Explains why he has other people write 24 and 99 on his bats sometimes.

Comment

• Rob L
              • Nov 2005

Very cool. I have a 2004 jersey from the Manny Firesale. The LOA I got is hand written by Phil. I have a copy of the Boston Globe newspaper article about Manny's sale if you want it.
              Rob L
              loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
                • Nov 2005

That's what I'd say. Classic sloppy handwriting. Explains why he has other people write 24 and 99 on his bats sometimes.
                Mike - Great pickup and you did a good job doing your homework. That may be the best you can do with items of Manny unless they are MLB hologram'd.

There is never an easy transaction with Manny as I can attest to from my personal encounter with Manny in 2008 regarding his 500 HR jersey.

As even his friends say, Manny is Manny. I guess that sums it up.
                Regards,
                Andrew Lang
                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                202-716-8500

Comment

• nationals2k9
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rob L
                  Very cool. I have a 2004 jersey from the Manny Firesale. The LOA I got is hand written by Phil. I have a copy of the Boston Globe newspaper article about Manny's sale if you want it.
                  That's really cool. I'm not 100% this glove was from the historic sale so I probably shouldn't maintain it was. I just know the path I took to find this thing was through a very tight-knit group of private Red Sox/Manny guys that have some of the biggest authentic collections around. During the time it was acquired, Sportsworld was the authority on Red Sox game-used from what I can tell.

Comment

• gameused
                    • Nov 2005

That's really cool. I'm not 100% this glove was from the historic sale so I probably shouldn't maintain it was. I just know the path I took to find this thing was through a very tight-knit group of private Red Sox/Manny guys that have some of the biggest authentic collections around. During the time it was acquired, Sportsworld was the authority on Red Sox game-used from what I can tell.
                    Michael,

I was offered this exact glove in 2009 and I can prove it's not legit and has been altered since I have seen it. It's not from the sale where Phil went to Manny's apartment, did Phil tell you that?

Bobby

Comment

• nationals2k9
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by gameused
                      Michael,

I was offered this exact glove in 2009 and I can prove it's not legit and has been altered since I have seen it. It's not from the sale where Phil went to Manny's apartment, did Phil tell you that?

Bobby
                      Please email me to discuss - michael_benko@yahoo.com

Thanks Bobby.

Michael

Comment

• allstarsplus
                        • Nov 2005

Michael,

Bobby
                        Can I add an UH-OH. Mike, I hope it works out. You definitely style matched it to the Getty photos.

Please report back after you talk to Bobby!
                        Regards,
                        Andrew Lang
                        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                        202-716-8500

Comment

• nationals2k9
                          • Sep 2008

Michael,

Bobby
                          I made a mistake in my initial description linking it to that sale. I just saw Phil had a tie to it and made my own conclusion. But it does still have Sportsworld tied to it and I've been told has never been offered to anyone after the original owner got it straight from Phil. It took me months and months to even get pictures of it so it's hard to believe it was out being shopped around. Interested to hear what you have to say!

Comment

• allstarsplus
                            • Nov 2005

I made a mistake in my initial description linking it to that sale. I just saw Phil had a tie to it and made my own conclusion. But it does still have Sportsworld tied to it and I've been told has never been offered to anyone after the original owner got it straight from Phil. It took me months and months to even get pictures of it so it's hard to believe it was out being shopped around. Interested to hear what you have to say!
                            Mike you have definitely gone the extra mile even including calls to Rawlings. The Manny Ramirez red embroidery looks good and even the placement where the "M" in Manny is next to that crease.

I know you are saying a "style match" and not claiming a photo match which I think is a good call.
                            Regards,
                            Andrew Lang
                            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                            202-716-8500

Comment

• murfsteve25
                              • Oct 2008

interested in hearing about this also
                              Always buying David Justice items

Comment

Working...