Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mods: How to handle a member who is non-paying?

I know discussion has been had about sharing information about members who have been bad participants. There is a member who I sent items in good faith to get paid and have not received payment in over two months. I want to share the information with name to education others on the board about this member, but don't want misuse the board. How should I handle this to educate others? Thanks!

jason
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Re: Mods: How to handle a member who is non-paying?

Quote Originally Posted by perlman9 View Post
    I know discussion has been had about sharing information about members who have been bad participants. There is a member who I sent items in good faith to get paid and have not received payment in over two months. I want to share the information with name to education others on the board about this member, but don't want misuse the board. How should I handle this to educate others? Thanks!

jason
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org
    I'm not a mod, but my vote (if I have one!) is to share the information. This is what helps us to look out for each other. Also, individuals who know the person may be able to offer insight or even help mediate. Just my two cents.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Is this regarding the member that you were looking fo in another post?

Banned

Why would you ever send someone an item BEFORE you were paid?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Because I like to take people for their word and it seems as if so many on this board are stand-up people that I made a bad assumption but am still trying not to be jaded by a small minority, but getting harder and harder not to. So, I am taking my part in this by trusting someone so just wanted to share my experience with this board member not that someone should or should not deal with this member, but to at least not make the same mistake and trust them. Hey, if he wants to buy something and pays up front, then I got no problem with a board member selling to this party, but I think there are several people who like to trust the fellow collectors and this is not one to be trusted. Maybe I am naive but I was just trying to help a collector get an item they wanted and let me heart get in the way of my head. My bad but if others can learn from my mistakes, then I think at least something good comes from it.

Quote Originally Posted by kellsox View Post
    Is this regarding the member that you were looking fo in another post?
    Yes, same person but looks like it got deleted so again, just trying to be educational without being disrespectful so just want to make sure I provide the information in a way that helps others make better decisions than I did.

FWIW, I just completed a transaction with a forum member who sent me a GU bat for $0 up front, as partial payment for a GW jersey he wanted that I shipped to him before I received his check. It worked out great and we both made a new friend.

It should be a no-brainer on this board. It isn't, probably never will be a completely safe haven from fraud, but I don't blame the OP at all for his trusting manner.

I also just received a heart-warming GU gift from another well-known forum member which could have cost me no small cash on the open market, but he thought his gift was going to a good home and he was right. I will always be in his debt and remember his gesture.

This place can be like Kansas if we let it!

perlman9 I hope this all works out for you. Thanks for the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    This is not unusual at all in the hobby. It's really no different than sending someone a check without having the item first (Paypal is marginally safer, I suppose). You take a risk either way.

As an aside, some hobby websites have a feedback system for members and actually require newer members with lower feedback scores to send items first when selling.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Gotta agree with this question.

This is the sports memorabilia hobby/market. I'm sure there are many honorable men & women taking part, but this hobby is littered with crooks.

The adult film industry doesn't have as many people getting screwed on a daily basis.

Always try to eliminate as much risk as you can.

Oh and my vote is for public caning

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Gotta agree with this question.

This is the sports memorabilia hobby/market. I'm sure there are many honorable men & women taking part, but this hobby is littered with crooks.

The adult film industry doesn't have as many people getting screwed on a daily basis.

Always try to eliminate as much risk as you can.

Oh and my vote is for public caning
    It largely depends on trust. I have a few buyers for whom I will send items first (sometimes they want to inspect the items before paying, for example), and it has never been a problem. If you don't know the person, though, certainly safer to get the money first. And if you are a buyer and don't know/trust the seller, pay with paypal using your credit card (paypal may desert you, but a good credit card will still have your back).