X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Stampings on Louisville Sluggers from 1980-1983

Originally posted by momen55
    look at the first example. the "OU" are wider, thus pushing the "i" to the right. obviously the dies must have been changed at some point, or something happened to cause this.
    Yes, I tried to resize the 4 photos on the chart to have the same relative size so there is a visual comparison.

The focus has been on large label with the longer oval so let's look at #1 and #2. The first example has a larger name (logo) font than the second example. That explains why you say the "OU" is wider on the first example. It a very small difference, maybe a .5 or 1 font size larger that on #2.

With the smaller font size for the name (LVS logo) on example two, there is a different spacing of the letters on the logo. In the second example. the Louisville looks longer. Also the spacing is more noticable for the "gg" in Slugger. So it's the smaller font size and the different spacing that was used for #2 that cause the new look.

I am going by a visual from photos provided. The other possibilty was that the change was not the logo font size but a change to very similar font type. For example, BatangChe Bold 18 pt and Batang Bold 18 pt looks very similar in look but notice the spacing difference(see below). Anyone know the font name for LVS branding?

The best photo is Jamie's three bats next to each other for comparison. Let me know if you notice anything else. Thanks.

I will update the chart when additional bat examples are provided. If you think it's more helpful to knock off examples #3 and #4 from the discussion, I can do that as well.
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• woodbat
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by joelsabi
      Don, stick to the light colored bats which had the burning-on brand process at workstations. thanks.
      Joel,
      Will do on the bat color. Since you have expanded to 1985, I probably have some additions. Rather than clutter the site, I will send the photos directly to you. Will be the center brand/player name and either knob/barrel markings. This will take me a little time and I won't send all the photos at once. Then you can post what is pertinent to the subject.
      LMK any different direction here.

Don
      woodbat@bellsouth.net
      stlbats

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by woodbat
        Joel,
        Will do on the bat color. Since you have expanded to 1985, I probably have some additions. Rather than clutter the site, I will send the photos directly to you. Will be the center brand/player name and either knob/barrel markings. This will take me a little time and I won't send all the photos at once. Then you can post what is pertinent to the subject.
        LMK any different direction here.

Don
        woodbat@bellsouth.net
        stlbats
        Don,

Thanks for the photos. I found a third variation for the large labels. Your Jeff Doyle bat has a small 125.

Scott,
        Is your Ozzie Smith bat similar to the Doyle or Mura bat?

Bat collectors,
        Anyone else care to add to the sample? For now, I am going to ask for only large label bats to simplify the process. Thanks

Here is the update chart.
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Birdbats
          • Nov 2005

Is that Doyle bat really a large oval? Remember, the smaller oval and small 125 started being used in 1983. It would be a pretty noteworthy discovery to find the 4.5" oval with the small 125.
          Jeff Scott
          birdbats@charter.net
          http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• joelsabi
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Birdbats
            Is that Doyle bat really a large oval? Remember, the smaller oval and small 125 started being used in 1983. It would be a pretty noteworthy discovery to find the 4.5" oval with the small 125.
            I will let Don verify your question here. Either way, large or small label, it is a new variant.

How certain is the small label period (1983-1985)? How large was the sample to get your information?
            Regards,
            Joel S.
            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Birdbats
              • Nov 2005

1983 variants are very well documented in both Malta books and in the MastroNet/Bushing guide. There's the 80-83 large oval (4.5")/large 125... the large 125/small (3.75") oval... and the small 125/small oval that carried through the '85 season (and likely into early '86).
              Jeff Scott
              birdbats@charter.net

Comment

• joelsabi
                • Aug 2005

1983 variants are very well documented in both Malta books and in the MastroNet/Bushing guide. There's the 80-83 large oval (4.5")/large 125... the large 125/small (3.75") oval... and the small 125/small oval that carried through the '85 season (and likely into early '86).
                Thanks. I found a Dusty Baker bat that was described from 1983-1986.

I need to purchase a book.
                Regards,
                Joel S.
                joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Doyle bat photo unedited.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Birdbats
                    • Nov 2005

Not exactly scientific, but I just measured the Doyle centerbrand width and Powerized from the photos on my monitor and compared that to the Powerized on a couple '83-'85 bats. Calculating for X (the centerbrand width of the actual Doyle bat), I came up with about 4". The small oval is actually about 3 7/8"... the large oval from '80-'83 is 4.5"... so allowing for monitor distortion, I'd guess the Doyle's centerbrand is the small oval. Can you confirm, Don?
                    Jeff Scott
                    birdbats@charter.net

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

Don,

A photo of your Doyle, Fiola, Mora and Stuper with CB side to side would be helpful.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

Not exactly scientific, but I just measured the Doyle centerbrand width and Powerized from the photos on my monitor and compared that to the Powerized on a couple '83-'85 bats. Calculating for X (the centerbrand width of the actual Doyle bat), I came up with about 4". The small oval is actually about 3 7/8"... the large oval from '80-'83 is 4.5"... so allowing for monitor distortion, I'd guess the Doyle's centerbrand is the small oval. Can you confirm, Don?
                        I just received an email from Don saying that the Doyle bat is a small oval as he mistakenly told me it was a large label since he sent me photos of both types.
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

Working...