Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Store line bats in the Big Leagues

Our pro rep and I were in the Rockies club house this morning and Tulo walks up. He has a bat in his hands and says he has a story. Last year while out shopping he went into a sporting goods store to look around. He started looking at bats and picked up a 180 series Derek Jeter bat. This is the clear finish with the mlb logo on the front. Your basic $20 bat that anyone can buy. It was the one he had in his hands. He liked the way it felt and he bought it. He used it in the next couple of games because he said he was fighting a slump.

...I really don't know how to end the story since he told it, we laughed and he walked out of the room. Anyway, finally heading back East tomorrow. Can't wait to get home.
    Brian Hillerich

Re: Store line bats in the Big Leagues

haha that's a great story Brian! I wonder if it broke the slump??

Brian,

That's funny. Wouldn't it be something if someone found a Getty photo of Tulo using the store bat and then using that photo to track down the bat. Thanks for sharing.

So did Tulo end up ordering any P72's last year?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

wow, that is interesting. You wonder if some players don't even realize themselves the difference between the woods used...
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    Our pro rep and I were in the Rockies club house this morning and Tulo walks up. He has a bat in his hands and says he has a story. Last year while out shopping he went into a sporting goods store to look around. He started looking at bats and picked up a 180 series Derek Jeter bat. This is the clear finish with the mlb logo on the front. Your basic $20 bat that anyone can buy. It was the one he had in his hands. He liked the way it felt and he bought it. He used it in the next couple of games because he said he was fighting a slump.

...I really don't know how to end the story since he told it, we laughed and he walked out of the room. Anyway, finally heading back East tomorrow. Can't wait to get home.
    Brian - Thanks for sharing. Great story. Reminds me of the old Willie Harris 6 for 6 story.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I dug out this old article from SCD where in his 1990 Donruss card Jose Lind is posing with a "Flame Tempered" branded bat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

I'm still not convinced that Lind was issued a bat that said Flame Tempered. That shot could have been taken in Spring Training...and I have seen photos on Getty of players holding/posing with store model bats.

The photographer could have handed Lind a bat and said.."let me get your picture". There is no telling.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a personal/promo model LVS game used by Edgar Martinez. Gar was doing a signing with Mill Creek Sportcards and liked the grain on a few of the bats he was signing. I made sure my cert says "game used with line under the 125." Not a full retail model but definitely not issued to Gar for game use.
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

I agree with Dave. Many of the photo-day pics will have the players using generic bats and jerseys (if not taken on a game or practice day). Hard to use any of them to judge anything. I have seen some without front numbers in the pictures (likely because the photographer has a few for the players to toss on right before the picture).

One of my favorite examples of someone just grabbing something for a picture is Johnny Bench grabbing Bill Plummer's glove for the famous "GREAT EIGHT" photograph. You can clearly read Plummer written on the glove that Bench is using.