Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Playoff jersey more valuable?

I just picked up a B. Wagner #13 Red Sox BP jersey from Steiner. The MLB# comes up as game 3 of 2009 ALDS. Does this make it more valuable?

Re: Playoff jersey more valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by dnrapp View Post
    I just picked up a B. Wagner #13 Red Sox BP jersey from Steiner. The MLB# comes up as game 3 of 2009 ALDS. Does this make it more valuable?

Yes it does. Any game used item that can be attributed to being used or worn during or issued for a playoff or WS game does add a premium. The premium would vary depending on it being just issued, worn, or used.

Congrats! That's a nice pickup!

Did Steiner sell it as a game worn 09 ALDS jersey or did they not know?
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Banned

Hello dnrapp,

I would think it may add a tad bit more value to the average collector, to it than the average BP Jersey.

It may add a bit more value to it Than that to a Boston Red Sox Collector.

And if it came from an actual World Series Champion Ship season even some more value.

Example:

The average BP Jersey value lets say for arguements sake is $50
    Being a Play Off BP Jersey maybe $50 to $75
    Maybe to a collector of that particular team maybe $75 - $100
    And from that teams World Series Championship season maybe $100 to $125

This is just a loose break down.

Just an idea to give you a lossely based guideline.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Yes it does. Any game used item that can be attributed to being used or worn during or issued for a playoff or WS game does add a premium. The premium would vary depending on it being just issued, worn, or used.

Congrats! That's a nice pickup!

Did Steiner sell it as a game worn 09 ALDS jersey or did they not know?

Steiner just sold it as a game worn 2009 BP jersey.

Definately adds some value, not sure how much

Banned

Doesn't BP stand for batting practice? I don't know how much of a premiunm that commands because 1. It was not worn during an actual game and 2. The Sox went out in the first round this year. Some major companies like Mei Gray do not sell playoff jerseys at a markup. Check their sites they have them going for the same price as regular season jerseys for the nonchampionship teams (they do not seem to have any from recent NHL or NBA champs). Other companies like JO Sports sell them at a markup for instance they are selling Jets playoff jerseys for more than the regular season ones. Also tonight on MLB auctions an Utley bat from the playoffs but used before his big World Series went for 2.5 times what a regular season one would sell for. So I think it depends on the situation. There are not many sox wagner jerseys out there so a wagner collector may be willing to pay more just for that if he has one from the other teams billy played for and wants to complete his collection.

You have to love Steiner. They really have no idea what they are doing half of the time. I look back on those old GUU threads in which some folks argued that Steiner's system is better than MeiGray's ... and just smile. In bizarro world, it would be true.

Congrats on the sweet pick-up. I would try to get it photo-matched to the ALDS to remove any doubt if I were you. You paid a BP price and got an ALDS jersey ... talk about rags to riches. To answer your question, yes, all other things being equal, a playoff jersey is generally worth a good bit more than a regular season jersey ... but it has to be worth WAY more than a BP jersey (the latter of which generally isn't worth that much)! You can't win 'em all, but you have to feel good about this one.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

In the old days, on a few occasions postseason jerseys would be marked accordingly in tagging. Some exampes:

2000 White Sox ALDS (home and road), detailed tail tag.
    1986 Mets (year tag...no such tag in regular season jerseys)
    1981 Dodgers (same as above)
    1979 Angels (same as above...all three were made by Goodman)
    1986 Astros (Rawlings set 2 1986 flag tag...Goodman made regular season unies)
    1950 Yankees (51 year tag, and no AL 50th Anniversary patch on left sleeve)
    1984 Cubs NLCS (85 year tag and round patch/imprint on right sleeve)

Also, I defer to Lon or Charles and their niche expertise on the Giants to ask whether or not any Giants 1972 tagged flannels were worn in the 1971 NLCS.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Dave...Those '72 Wilson Giants home were not used in '71. Just the early part of '72 til their knits came in. Lot of years ago that was the rumor, that they wore '72 stiched in the tail in 1971. The Giants only had a day to play in the playoffs from the end of the season, and won the west by 1 game. Not like they were going to cruise into the playoffs with a huge lead in the standings. The Dodgers , at least in the earlier '70's had jerseys marked set P for playoffs. I had a '74 at one time, and Lon confirmed it at the time.

It's not a playoff jersey but that's one of the reasons I was so excited to get the black New Orleans Saints jersey I picked up last month. It is from the 2008 game in London vs. the San Diego Chargers and can be tracked to that specific game.

I was surprised, however, that I paid less for it on ebay than I would have purchasing the black Saints jersey that JO Sports had on their site. The jersey is from the same player. The ebay jersey had a certificate from NFL Auction; the JO Sports jersey came with the standard JO paperwork.

Thanks.

Kyle