Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Baseball Jobs

Baseball Jobs

Hey guys. I have been considering a change in occupation from corporate lawyer to working in some capacity with a major league team. I have no idea where to get started learning about opportunities, etc. I would really appreciate any leads, etc. you guys could give me. I figure someone on the GUU has some knowledge of this topic. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    David

Banned

Re: Baseball Jobs

I dont know of any jobs personally but I know for a fact on MLB.com or monster.com you can look at openings in the MLB. I believe MILB.com also has a link to find job openings.

Quote Originally Posted by philsfan View Post
    Hey guys. I have been considering a change in occupation from corporate lawyer to working in some capacity with a major league team. I have no idea where to get started learning about opportunities, etc. I would really appreciate any leads, etc. you guys could give me. I figure someone on the GUU has some knowledge of this topic. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    David
    Dave,'
    I know a few people that work for different MLB and minor league teams, and they tell me that player development/scouting is the best area to focus in on. The pay is far less than one would expect and the hours way to long, but if it something you are really committed to do it is worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by obpercent1 View Post
    Dave,'
    I know a few people that work for different MLB and minor league teams, and they tell me that player development/scouting is the best area to focus in on. The pay is far less than one would expect and the hours way to long, but if it something you are really committed to do it is worth it in the long run.
    How does someone get into Player Development/Scouting?

I am currently studying Sport Management and this is the field I would love to get into
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    How does someone get into Player Development/Scouting?

I am currently studying Sport Management and this is the field I would love to get into
    Three simple words contacts, contacts, contacts. Your best bet is to try to secure an internship with a MLB team anywhere in the front office which is a task in itself then to build your contacts through that way. Its really tough if you don't have a player background.

Your next best bet is to beat the bushes and make contacts with a local area scout for a mlb team and have them mentor you. You can go to any minor league game and run into scouts checking out the game directly behind home plate. Just be weary of minor league jobs/internships they are very very low paying in which you work crazy hours and often a dead end job they are not a guarantee that you will follow the " player " road to a big league job by working your way up to the big league club

I spent a few years in the front office with the Phillies, Rangers, Nationals and can provide folks with suggestions if interested. Off the record, I also have access to contact info for key personnel at all teams in all sports all levels. michael_benko@yahoo.com

I would really appreciate any information that you could provide.

Is it all right to email you?

Thanks
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com