Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minor League vs Major League Game Used Items

I was curious to see what people thought of a player's minor league game used items in comparison to their major league items. Are minor league or major league items more valuable? More noteworthy? More worthy of our time collecting?

Re: Minor League vs Major League Game Used Items

I hadn't seen this when I sent my email to you about Wieters.

I think minor league items are a lot more fun to find because the supply is so low. Of course, minor lg things tend to be harder to verify, since a lot of stuff won't have a player's name on it, and I think a lot of items are originally bought/obtained by casual fans who don't remember to keep details on how they got an item.

Of course, minor lg teams have gotten wise recently and started selling their items with LOAs.

But since minor lg stuff is harder to find (or sometimes, you can't tell if it's major lg or minor lg), then I guess it's usually considerably easier to collect MLB stuff of a particular player.

Re: Minor League vs. Major League Game Used Items

It seems collectors prefer major league items and they tend to carry significantly more value. However, when I collect a player I do like to have minor league jerseys as well, if at all possible. The minor league jerseys are more rare and offer some diversity to a player collection. They are also great conversation pieces. I probably own about a dozen minor league jerseys. When it comes to "common" jerseys MLB items are much more collectible as long after the player is forgotten collectors still identify with the team retaining more value.

I like both but I do think Minor League Items are more Rare then Major League Items.I guess it would depend on The Player.

Thanks
    Geoff

The key to my answer is: Recycling. Even great minor league players had their jerseys used by other players before and/or after they used it. So finding a minor league shirt with a guys name attached is difficult. Determining who added the wear is also difficult.

For example: Lets say one of my favorite players, Larry Jones, wears a jersey for the Durham Bulls. Kid was a number 1 draft pick but until he proves himself, he's just a kid with potential. He does well and moves up the minors. In all likelihood, some other kid gets his jersey as this is the early 90's. Off comes the Jones nameplate one goes the Smith. Our player makes the big club and wouldn't you know it? Has a HOF career with my favorite team and will most likely have his number retired one day.

Now I ask you? Would you rather have his Braves jersey? or "Chipper" Jones' Durham Bulls?

Now he was a highly rated prospect and still I have NEVER seen his Bulls jersey made available for sale. I've seen a ton of Atlanta and even a Gwinnett (I Believe, could have been Rome) but no Durham.

Coincidentally, I'd trade a lot of quality Braves merchandise for it if someone does know where it is
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Sorry for changing the question alittle but what do you guys think of high school used material.

Minor league is rarer in my opinion. But personally, i like major league items more

Minors gear is scarce, but I think it's the major league gear that brings in the money. That's at least with the player I collect, and from what I have seen from others.

Thanks everybody. I guess it's really based upon personal preference when collecting. Your thoughts are much appreciated!!

gingi79: a Chipper Jones Durham Bulls jersey sold in an auction about 4 years ago. I doubt the guy who bought it is willing to sell it. If so, I would pay big money for that one.

Regarding minor league items...I personally do not collect items just because an item will increase in value. I like unique, rare items. For that reason, I really like minor league game used equipment.