Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pawn Shops: Anyone find valuable sports collectibles there?

Although, I have been bargain hunting for sports collectibles at flea markets/estate sales/garage sales.... I haven't tried my hands on pawn shops. So can anyone.. and I mean anyone tell me if they have bought valuable sports collectibles at pawn shops for a relatively cheap price?

Anyone want to share their stories?

Anyone ever find valuable sports collectibles at PAWN SHOPS?

Has anyone ever found valuable sports collectibles at pawn shops? I've been trying my hands on finding valuable sports items at flea markets/estate sales/garage sales.

So I wanted to know if anyone can share their experiences at pawn shops? Any good bargains or are these pawn shops knowledgeable about the price and market value of sports collectibles?

Banned

Re: Pawn Shops: Anyone find valuable sports collectibles there?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio D. View Post
    Although, I have been bargain hunting for sports collectibles at flea markets/estate sales/garage sales.... I haven't tried my hands on pawn shops. So can anyone.. and I mean anyone tell me if they have bought valuable sports collectibles at pawn shops for a relatively cheap price?

Anyone want to share their stories?
    I hit the jackpot once about 15 years ago. I was at what was essentially a traveling flea market in a mall near where I live. There was only one table with sports stuff. The guy had treasure after treasure. He had baseballs signed by Ted Williams, Carl Hubbell and Cool Papa Bell. At that time Ted was alive and the other two had not been deceased that long. I was short cash so I just bought the Ted and Carl at bargain prices ($150 for both). The Carl is unquestionably real as I have painstakingly researched his sig and it matches all the examplers I have compared it to. The baseball it is signed on is a Feeney which is also consistent. The Ted looks good to me but with Ted you never know. It was a different time then. No Steiner or most of the other big companies. Today I would never buy on speculation like that but it was too good to pass up.

Re: Anyone ever find valuable sports collectibles at PAWN SHOPS?

Interesting topic that's been discussed here often, though not recently. You might try doing a search, it makes for enjoyable reading..I found an Ohio St. basketball gamer at an antique mall the other day, not worth much, but good to see things like this can still be found. Jay.

Re: Anyone ever find valuable sports collectibles at PAWN SHOPS?

pietraynor: Yes, I've done a search for this kind of topic and some have inspired me to try harder to look for sports collectibles at flea markets/antique stores/estate sales.

I got lucky at an estate sale and bought a few things for a bargain!

Now my only question is pawn shops. My search didn't yield a lot of results for stories about pawn shops and cheap collectibles, so I thought it'll be nice to open this topic about PAWN SHOPS (and if anyone else wants to share stories about flea markets/antique shops/estate sales/garage sales, then they are free to do so).

So how much did you get the Ohio St. Basketball gamer for and how much did you sell it for?

legaleagle92481: Wow, what a story! That must've been a big jackpot. Honestly, a Ted Williams Autograph on a National League FEENEY baseball is a really really big treasure.

While I think $150.00 may be out of my price range, it sure was a good bargain for what those things are valued in today's market. So how much did you sell them for (IF you sold them)?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I hit the jackpot once about 15 years ago. I was at what was essentially a traveling flea market in a mall near where I live. There was only one table with sports stuff. The guy had treasure after treasure. He had baseballs signed by Ted Williams, Carl Hubbell and Cool Papa Bell. At that time Ted was alive and the other two had not been deceased that long. I was short cash so I just bought the Ted and Carl at bargain prices ($150 for both). The Carl is unquestionably real as I have painstakingly researched his sig and it matches all the examplers I have compared it to. The baseball it is signed on is a Feeney which is also consistent. The Ted looks good to me but with Ted you never know. It was a different time then. No Steiner or most of the other big companies. Today I would never buy on speculation like that but it was too good to pass up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio D. View Post
    legaleagle92481: Wow, what a story! That must've been a big jackpot. Honestly, a Ted Williams Autograph on a National League FEENEY baseball is a really really big treasure.

While I think $150.00 may be out of my price range, it sure was a good bargain for what those things are valued in today's market. So how much did you sell them for (IF you sold them)?
    The Williams is on a Bobby Brown AL baseball, the Hubbell is on the Feeney. I did not sell either. I was asking $300 for the Ted but decided not to sell it and Hubbell is hard to find and he has been gone awhile now plus he had that memorable allstar game so I am holding onto that one.

Pawn Shops: Anyone find valuable sports collectibles there?

Hi

Did anyone see the show "Pawn Stars" on History channel this week? Had a guy bring in a "Lou Gehrig signed baseball jersey" The signature looked way to good and new and the guy took $3,000 for it. The LOA's were in my opinion "questionable at best" A jersey signed by Lou Gerhig would be at least worth 50k. Anyone find this amusing? Especially the story of farmers having it and had Lou sign it while barmstorming or something like that.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JCC1968 View Post
    Hi

Did anyone see the show "Pawn Stars" on History channel this week? Had a guy bring in a "Lou Gehrig signed baseball jersey" The signature looked way to good and new and the guy took $3,000 for it. The LOA's were in my opinion "questionable at best" A jersey signed by Lou Gerhig would be at least worth 50k. Anyone find this amusing? Especially the story of farmers having it and had Lou sign it while barmstorming or something like that.

Jason
    I love that Show !!!!!!! I thought it was funny how the guy wanted 10k for for it, and ended up getting 3k. And after was like I am happy with how much i got. Didn't seem right to me

Quote Originally Posted by JCC1968 View Post
    Hi

Jason
    I believe Rick knew it was a phony, but he could re-sell it because of the 3 iron-clad, rock-solid LOAs. Could Sammy give his opinion of this Gehrig "piece"? How "bout those authentication companies? Fly-by-night? Personally, I believe this jersey is from the 1950s and Gehrig signed it around 2007. Did anyone see the episode with the 4 '67 Pete Roses? Rick said they were counterfeits. I don't think so. Many 67s in my collection have bad printing. Who's gonna fake a "67 Rose? Pawn Stars is still my favorite show with American Pickers not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I believe Rick knew it was a phony, but he could re-sell it because of the 3 iron-clad, rock-solid LOAs. Could Sammy give his opinion of this Gehrig "piece"? How "bout those authentication companies? Fly-by-night? Personally, I believe this jersey is from the 1950s and Gehrig signed it around 2007. Did anyone see the episode with the 4 '67 Pete Roses? Rick said they were counterfeits. I don't think so. Many 67s in my collection have bad printing. Who's gonna fake a "67 Rose? Pawn Stars is still my favorite show with American Pickers not far behind.

When i saw that episode i thought the same thing. The guy even said he had them in his garage for like 25 years. They looked good to me also

A few years ago my dad suprised me with a Brooks Robinson auto baseball. It's on an old Spaulding ball and its yellowed really bad. He bought it at an antique shop close to town.
    Always buying David Justice items

I Love that Show.Its Great And sometimes Funny also.