Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

My 2010 Spring Training 'Blog'...

Hello all... it is basically T-36 hrs before I embark on my annual Mecca to Cactus League Spring Training - or as they call it at my work, my Annual Spring Training Sabbatical.

I am driving to Phoenix (oldest brother's house) on Thursday (Mar 18th) from Denver and will attend my 1st 2010 ST game on Friday (Mar 19th) at Surprise Stadium - Indians (ss) vs Rangers.

I will then be driving to Tucson Friday afternoon to see my other two brothers and my mother and attend the Sat (Mar 20th) game at Hi Corbett Field - Angels vs Rockies.

Back to Phoenix Sat afternoon and catching a Sun (Mar 21st) game - either at Surprise Stadium - Rockies vs Royals, or at Maryvale - White Sox vs Brewers.

Staying in Phoenix Sun night and catching a Monday (Mar 22nd) game - one of the following:
    Surprise Stadium - White Sox @ Royals
    Scottsdale - Rangers @ Giants
    Goodyear - Rockies @ Reds
    Maryvale - Dodgers @ Brewers

Then check into Hotel on Monday afternoon and pick up wife and son at Sky Harbor on Monday evening. At this point, all bets are off as to what games I will or will not see the rest of the week - probably mostly morning auto chasing and then sight seeing, etc with the family.

We will be seeing at least two games while they are here with me:

Wed (Mar 24th) at Surprise - Cubs @ Rangers as MLB Network will be there filming the Rangers segment of 30 Teams in 30 Days and (if I can talk the wife into a 'double header'), either Peoria - Mariners @ Padres (night game) or Phoenix Muni - Dodgers @ Athletics (night game) then down to Tucson for them to see my mom and brothers.

Then on Thurs (Mar 25th) at Hi Corbett Field - Reds @ Rockies as MLB Network will be there filming the Rockies segment of 30 Teams in 30 Days.
    Back to Phoenix Thurs afternoon.

Wife and kid fly out Sunday evening (Mar 28th) and I am debating leaving to drive home that afternoon/evening or staying for the Monday game at Surprise - Rockies @ Rangers as I always see at least one Rox/Rangers game each ST and then leaving after the game and driving 1/2 way home and getting home on Tuesday the 30th.

I also plan to find time to visit the new Cactus League Museum in Mesa as well as most of the fine Sports Cards and Collectible shops in the Phoenix area. I was amazed to see that there are THREE (YES 3!!!) Sports Card Shows in the greater Phoenix area the weekend of the 19th to the 21st as well!

Here are a few of the 'Raw' items I plan to get signed while at ST (I will post follow ups and pics as I get them):

2008 All Star Ball - Josh Hamilton

2008 All Star Jersey - Josh Hamilton

2009 All Star Ball - Josh Hamilton (being shipped to my brother's house)

2009 All Star Jersey - Josh Hamilton (being shipped to my brother's house)

2009 Rockies GU Home Vest and Pants - Jason Giambi

Sept 1, 2009 Rockies Ticket(s) - Jason Giambi (Giambi's 1st Game as a Rockie) - NO PIC

2006 Rockies GU Batting Helmet - Clint Barmes

Rockies Mini Mitt - Troy Tulowitzki

Sept 8, 2009 Rockies Ticket (my seat) - Eric Young, Jr (His 1st MLB HR which I recovered!) - NO PIC

Xpress 34 BLUE Jersey - Nolan Ryan

Xpress 34 WHITE Jersey - Nolan Ryan

Texas Rangers BLUE ST/BP Hat - Nolan Ryan

Texas Rangers 'Stitches' Jersey - Various Rangers

I have other items (cards, balls, etc) that I am taking, but these are the 'Prime' items I'm looking to get done this year...

I'll post again Thursday when I leave and when I get there if there are any 'exciting' things that happen along the way...

19 Days 15 Hrs 25 Minutes until Rockies Opening Day!!!

- Chris

Re: My 2010 Spring Training 'Blog'...

Day 1 - Thursday Mar 18, 2010

6:45am in Thornton (Denver) CO. Hitting the road in 15 minutes. The car is packed and ready to go.

Heading SW through Buena Vista and Durango Colorado to Four Corners (AZ, CO, NM, UT) and down through Flagstaff Arizona to Phoenix.

Drive day... yeah! 780 miles (roughly)...

I'll write a follow up tonight when I get to Phoenix.

- Chris

Day 1 Addenedum

826 mi... left Denver @ 8:30am (not 6 as planned) becuase the wife wanted to spend time with me before she went to work... I love her to death, but she's coming down here on Monday!

Arrived at Brother's house @ 9:15pm (local time) - 13 hrs 45 minutes - not bad considering I wasted an hour and a half at Wal-Mart in Durango, checked out the Durango Sports Card Shop (Card Magic) and drove around Flagstaff trying to find Flagstaff Sports Cards. Also 3 gas stops and 1 lunch stop.

Tomorrow morning is Day 2 - 1st day in the trenches of 2010 ST - Indians (ss) vs Rangers @ Surprise.

Now, I need sleep....

Just wanted to let you know xpress.That you have at least one person following your stories of the trip on here.As i am so jealous you are doing this.And i wish you luck in getting those things signed.I am especially interested in your jason giambi jersey.As i am a huge fan of his and i hope he signs that for you.Those texas items might be tough with what is going on with that team.Well good luck,and please be safe in your travels there-

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    Just wanted to let you know xpress.That you have at least one person following your stories of the trip on here.As i am so jealous you are doing this.And i wish you luck in getting those things signed.I am especially interested in your jason giambi jersey.As i am a huge fan of his and i hope he signs that for you.Those texas items might be tough with what is going on with that team.Well good luck,and please be safe in your travels there-
    Butch -

Thanks for the kind words - it's had 83 views so far - I think everyone is waiting for the 'meat and potatoes' and new pictures! I will be posting at least once daily... I did this last year as well... and the year before that on SCF (Sports Card Forum)...

As far as Texas, they have (in my opinion from the Stadiums I have visited) the most fan friendly practice area... and Hamilton has always been great - as well as Nolan. As far as the Rox, Barmes on the helmet is a slam dunk for me - Clint knows me pretty well as I hand turned a Maple Bat for him a few years back when I worked for Rawlings. I have heard nothing but good things about the G-Man... Helton ad Tulo can be hit and miss, but I have heard they have been great this spring!

- Chris

Chris- this should make for some interesting reading, particularly for those of us that could not make it down to ST this year. I can't wait to hear your report from the Indians game today. Enjoy your week!

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreg25 View Post
    Chris- this should make for some interesting reading, particularly for those of us that could not make it down to ST this year. I can't wait to hear your report from the Indians game today. Enjoy your week!
    Greg -

I hope you enjoy ST vicariously through my 'blog'...

Unfortunately, I did not stay for the Indians game today... see the following post for today's 'blog'...

- Chris

1st 2010 ST game on Friday (Mar 19th) at Surprise Stadium - Indians (ss) vs Rangers.
    Got up at 7:30 this morning and got ready to attack this year's ST session...

Went and got some breakfast (Chocolate Milk and Zingers) and some bottled water and headed to Surprise.

I found out (early thankfully) that the Rangers 'A Team' (the Starters) no longer do BP or workouts on the Practice Fields on Fri and Sat... they do theirs in the Stadium and they open the gates early (10:30) for the fans.

I went and bought a cheap lawn seat ($7) and went in. During BP I got 3 foul balls (all from Vlad) and one HR ball (from Nelson Cruz)...

Got the Hamilton 2008 ASG Jersey signed... Josh had been signing by the dugout for about 15 minutes and as he headed to the clubhouse, I unfurled the jersey... Josh looks over and says, 'Dear God!' (jokingly) and trots over and signs the jersey for me. On the 'Stitches' jersey I got Ron Washington, Clint Hurdle, Gary Pettis, David Murphy, Michael Young and Elvis Andrus. Ironically, I got blown off by both Vlad and Cruz... Also got blown off by Chris Davis.

Had a nice chat with Hurdle (he came over and Bear Hugged me!)... he remembered me from Coors Field...

After, I decided to get a head start on I-10 traffic and head out early to Tucson... got to Hi Corbett just as the game was ending and scored Clint Barmes on the Batting Helmet, Eric Young, Jr. on the Ticket and Dexter Fowler on the All Time Rox jersey. Fowler and Young both promised me a pair of Batting Gloves. Did not see Giambi, but did get blown off by Tulo... Helton snuck out, got caught to sign two, and then he left...

Also ran into no less than 5 people I know from Denver and Coors Field at Hi Corbett!!!

All in all, not a bad 1st day - 4 balls and 10 autos which includes knocking out the following PRIMARY targets:

2008 All Star Jersey - Josh Hamilton

2006 Rockies GU Batting Helmet - Clint Barmes

Sept 8, 2009 Rockies Ticket (my seat) - Eric Young, Jr (His 1st MLB HR which I recovered!) - NO PIC

And got a good start on this one:

Texas Rangers 'Stitches' Jersey - Various Rangers

I also talked to Joe (Rays54) and will be seeing him at Hi Corbett tomorrow.

I will get pics of the stuff I have gotten auto'd and post as soon as possible...

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - I have not heard (eMail or otherwise) from any other AZ board members except Rays54... I'd love to meet some of you guys... GodWulf???

Xpress34-That sounds like a great day one to me.Was thier much media attention around the texas rangers cause of that story about thier manager.It's too bad you were not able to get giambi.I would think that hamilton would be a tough autograph to get as he does not seem very fan friendly.But then all players are fan friendly at home.Its on the road is the test to see if they are fan friendly like nick swisher.I can not wait to see how the autographs turned out on the jersey.I was hoping you would have caught a ball hit by giambi and i would have asked how much you want for it-just kidding.Well i hope you did not get too sun burnt as its a long week for you.Stay safe!

Hey all -

Sorry no posts the last few days... I haven't had internet access... I will update Sat (Day 2), Sun (Day 3) and Today (Day 4) here in a few minutes... just got the hotel room (and that was a fiasco!), getting unpacked and ready to see the wife and kis when they fly in late tonight...

Back shortly!!! (With lots of pics too!!!)

- Chris