Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What do you think about the Olympic GU prices??

Basically, I've been watching some of the game/event used items on eBay being sold by the official Vancouver username and have been really surprised by how high some have gone. Some (most) seem completely insane to me, which is why I want your opinion.

Do you think they're crazy prices too, or is it just me? Do you think that these items will ever hold their value or is it just a hype factor that's driving the prices up this high right now?

Some examples:
    Team Canada autographed souvenir stick. NOT game used -- $7k+

Game Used USA vs Canada Gold Medal game hockey puck -- $5,900+
    **Many other game used pucks from that game ranging from $3,600 - $5,500

Tons of autographed REPLICA Canada hockey jerseys of various players for well over $1k

8x10 auto of Canadian Gold Medal mogul skier -- $700
    ** Many other auto'd 8x10s of various athletes for $300+++

REPLICA panel from skiing mogul competition - $200+
    ** There are several of these replica panels that have sold and some still listed

Game Used USA vs Canada Gold Medal game hockey puck (OT used) -- $8,500 +++ -- bidding still going
    ** This is NOT the puck used to score the winning goal, it says it in the auction description.

So, anyway, just a few examples....

I'm wondering because I'm thinking of trying to pick up an Olympic competition used item, but I'm afraid that it will quickly get out of my range where I can justify the expense. (I have a specific item in mind, but won't mention it to try to keep exposure down. haha)

-Brian

Re: What do you think about the Olympic GU prices??

The prices vancouver2010auction are getting are ridiculous. A Sidney Crosby game worn jersey (1 game) is already up to $10K with just under seven days LEFT.

They've been auctioning off REPLICA, NON-GAME USED pucks that have been consistantly going for $150-$280, and I'm pretty sure one of the earlier ones listed went for closer to (if not exceeding) $500. For a replica puck - the kind you see at stores for $5. Heck, I won a jersey from them and they threw one of these pucks in FOR FREE.

I've already posted that I won a game worn Canadian Women's hockey jersey, and I know I'll never get the money back if I ever chose to sell, but for me, a lot of factors contributed to me paying more. Favourite player; gold medal for the country; Olympics played in my home country; all of this made it easier to swallow the hefty price tag.

A couple of years ago I won a Sarah Vaillancourt game worn jersey from the World Championships for $250, and I recently won her 2010 Olympic jersey for $660, so a lot of people definitely put a premium on Olympic gear.

In short, yes, I agree, the prices the Olympic stuff is going for are insane

-Pam

sugarpam - Yeah, what really got my attention was the replica autographed jerseys going for thousands of dollars and the pucks that were going for several hundred. I couldn't believe that people would actually pay that much for these items that have no real significance.

As for the hockey jersey you won, that may be more than her items usually go for, but it's still "only" $660. You may have overpaid by a couple hundred dollars (maybe 50%), but at least you didn't overpay thousands (a few hundred %). haha Plus, the fact that it was game worn and olympics in your home country and gold medal all adds to the value.

I'm thinking of buying a snowboarding item of one of my favorite snowboarders, but I'm not interested in even paying $600 like you did for your jersey. We'll see what happens. I hope that it says low enough so I can buy it or goes for waaaaay more than I'm willing to pay... That way I won't feel like I just missed the winning bid and regret it. If I don't win it and it goes for like $1k, then I'll be much happier.

There is a website that has the Official rights to auction 2010 competion signed as well as used items, but I am not sure if I can post it....

Moderators, can you let me know if I can post the site address without it being a violation of the rules? Or just mention the company name?

Thanks!

Jeremy
    macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

They have an official auction username on eBay, but in the listings it says that it's run by Gameday Auction.

Is that what you're referring to?

yeah that's the one.

Just read a post earlier about the forum rules and pormoting websites, etc...so I thought I would play it on the safe side.

I live in Vancouver and there is a lot of Olympic stuff that is floating around here.

Even at the Canucks games you can buy competition used/signed bids, jerseys and other stuff. Saw one a few weeks ago at the Olympic hockey game that was around $125 and was worn by a bobsleigh team.

Jeremy
    macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

Yeah, I can see event used items selling for a pretty big premium just because it's the Olympics and the fact that it's only once every 4 years, etc... it's the replica and autographed photos that really get me.

Why are people spending $300 for an autographed 8x10 of somebody who is still alive and will probably be doing signings for the rest of their lives because of the Olympic medal?? That's the part that I think is ridiculous.

Even that Crosby GU that sugarpam mentioned, I can understand more than somebody spending $700 on an auto'd 8x10 of an olympic skier. At least that jersey was used in the Olympics by a major superstar. The sports like mogul skiing, bobsledding, etc are such niche sports that I'd think there would be plenty of opportunities to get a MUCH cheaper auto in the coming year or so.

$700 is what people are spending for a Muhammad Ali auto'd 8x10. Think about that comparison...

Just my .02.

Oh, and btw, I figured there was no problem posting the name of that company because I'm not promoting it or have any vested interest in it. Just saying who is in charge of the Olympic auctions. It's the same as mentioning eBay, Gray Flannel, Hunts, etc. As a matter of fact, I'm saying that people shouldn't be buying from them because the prices are getting ridiculous. That's the opposite of promoting it. hahaha

Banned

i think it is the worst time to buy it. this is the first time olympic used stuff is hitting the market in quantity so the prices will be inflated. look at a few years ago when nfl gu jerseys first hit the market a kicker went for 3,500 dollars and john beck went for over seven grand and everything went for a mint. with time the supply increased and the novelty died and prices leveled off for non-megastars. with the olympics it will be the same thing although it will take a few more years since the olympics are biannual rather than every year. i am counting the summer and winter both as i know each only occurs once every four years. most of these athletes will be forgotten as well how many people can name even five gold medal winners from the 2006 games? there will be exceptions of course. jerseys worn by crosby this year will always be valuable assuming he continues his path toward hockey immortality. also mens basketball olympic jerseys will go for a mint and maintain their value due to the high interest in nba jerseys and their relative lack of availability on the market in general (even regular season jerseys for most teams and players are scarce except for the small number of teams in meigrays program) and the fact that alot of deep pocketed collectors collect nba stuff. and of course stuff worn by household names like phelps or ono will always be valuable. as far as autographs most olympians do not have much future value as they will be forgotten and the pro athletes in the games there will be many chances to get them to sign olympic pics in the future.

legaleagle - I basically agree with all of what you said about the fact that it's a novelty is what's causing things to go for so high. Same with the autographs... that's what I was trying to say. I'm sure that the rest of these people's lives will be made by trying to make money off of their olympic successes, so there should be plenty of time to get autographs.

The item that I'm going after has a bit more meaning to me because of it being an athlete that I follow regularly (between olympics lol) and have some small personal connection/interaction with. Plus the fact that I feel that the event used items will hold their value relatively well, doesn't deter me as much as. The auto'd 8x10s, pucks and things like that I can't believe will hold any sort of value compared to what they've sold for so far. Not to mention that the item that I'm going for won't get anywhere near the $10k mark of the Crosby jersey. haha