Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PSA DNA GU bat value

I have never been one to care for having letters of certification or authentication on my game used bats, but am close to buying a bat that comes with PSA DNA LOA.

Just curious how much this would add to the value, so I can have a clue of what to pay (or what I am forced to pay). Bat value most likely without the letter would have been right around $400. With the letter how much "added value" should I be expecting?

Thanks!
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Re: PSA DNA GU bat value

I don't put a lot of stock in the letters, they are nice and if re-selling I think they offer security to the uniformed collector.

For a piece for my collection I just make sure I do my own homework, therefore whether a bat has an LOA or not does not change the value in my eyes
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Banned

I think any LOA is only worth the paper it's printed on. I don't believe it really adds to much to the value. I only think it makes people feel better when they buy an item with an LOA then with out one. I personally would never pay anyone to authenticate a bat or jersey of mine, just a waste of time and money....

I personally wouldn't pay anymore for a bat if it had a PSA/DNA or John Taube COA/LOA. I don't need a so called "expert" to tell me if a bats real. All they do is look at the use characteristics to determine if its real or not, heck I can do that myself. They don't know any more than me if that particular player ACTUALLY used that bat or not. I won't pay that kinda money for someone's "professional opinion". So for me, it's a waste of money to send them away to get graded, certified or whatever. Just my opinion though. Some people swear by them, it's all in what you want I guess.

Banned

it depends on the buyer some people have extreme confidence in these "experts" and will pay quite a bit extra. others like myself have zero confidence in them.

If I was buying a Larkin bat, I would rather have a letter from YOU.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The LOA will help at resale. Realize many bidders/buyers aren't bat experts and even many seasoned collectors will appreciate PSA's second opinion. Many bidders may have no idea who you are, so having the backup opinion from PSA/DNA will be desirable to them. I don't buy the "an LOA isn't worth the piece of paper it's printed on" and don't believe the sayers believe that either. Who wouldn't find real value an LOA from the LA Dodgers or Joe DiMaggio? Are you telling me if a jersey comes with an official Chicago Bears team LOA, you're going to throw it away because you think it's worthless visa vie the jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    If I was buying a Larkin bat, I would rather have a letter from YOU.
    Of all things it is a Larkin bat I am going after, just did not know what the added price/cost may be in the final bidding that I should plan on paying. Judging by many of the comments, looks like I may not see that much of an increase which is fine by me!

Thanks for all the input.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Several bats in my collection have a COA, always will recieve one from the St Louis Cardinal's team store. They are nice to have, but not a necessity. If some folks want to include COA, PSA or DNA papers with a bat purchase, that is fine, but to me it's not worth paying extra. Maybe I pay extra and don't realize it??? I have no PSA or DNA papers with any of my 650+ St Louis Cardinal bats.
    In a related bat issue, I will share with you a couple long ago experiences with COA's on bats/autographs. Attached is a photo of a COA from MIDWEST FORENSICS, L.L.C. "Specializing in Signature Authentiction". This one happens to be for a 500 Home Run Bat. Somewhere I have another one for a 3000 Hit Bat. Anyhow this COA does not give an address or phone number of the company. There are no company personnel names/signatures, no photos of the bat etc. All I have is a 5"x7" heavy rag piece of paper, fancy printing, unreadible embossed seal in the lower left hand corner and a registration number that relates to a hand written 500 HOMERUN BAT......And of course a mint 34" Adirondack with blue sharpie written names of Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Ernie Banks, Mickey Mantle, Harman Killebrew, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Fank Robinson and Eddie Mathews.
    I won't clutter this with these bat photos, however if any of you all would like any photos, email me woodbat@bellsouth.net and I will send you some of both bats. Don't ask why did I buy these two bats!!! I don't remember, maybe it seemed to be the thing to do at the time..
    If the description and price seems to good to be true then it probably is...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There's no question a team LOA or team gift shop receipt can in identification or dating error, but is worth something as provenance-- documentation that the item came from the team. The provenance aspect alone for these types of LOA is worth something-- and will be desirable at resale.

But I agree that one cannot go by an LOA alone. At the very least, the item must be double checked for accuracy. As said, even a team or player might make an error when describing the item. And there are some LOAs that might lower the resale value. Showing a receipt from Coaches Corner wouldn't help the sales price on eBay.