Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Selling disappointments

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post

In hindsight given Clemen's unpopularity now, I am probably very fortunate that I sold it then. Could you imagine if you tried to sell a hologram'd Clemens today that you bought 5 years ago.
    Andrew I would personally say you might have had better luck if you actually held onto it. All the PED stuff will eventually blow over and people will tend to forget and even when it comes timie for Hall of Fame voting whether good or bad, PED Isuue or not. It will spark interest again and people eventually will start picking up his stuff again. Maybe not the way they did pre-ped era but it will definitely go back up in years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Andrew I would personally say you might have had better luck if you actually held onto it. All the PED stuff will eventually blow over and people will tend to forget and even when it comes timie for Hall of Fame voting whether good or bad, PED Isuue or not. It will spark interest again and people eventually will start picking up his stuff again. Maybe not the way they did pre-ped era but it will definitely go back up in years to come.
    My early collecting centered around the 500 HR guys and I am probably done with selling off the PED guys.

I bought the Clemens at what I thought was a great price with the thought of selling it right away. It wasn't even PED tainted when I sold it as it was before all the Congressional stuff. Still don't know why it sold so cheap. It is a subject I have brought up before and always perfect for the category "Selling Disappointments".
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Thanks guys. I sold several things on ebay before, but this is the first time I sold a jersey. I suppose I'll have to use a reserve next time so I don't get burned. The auction went off at midnight, which may have been a little late for people on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    Thanks guys. I sold several things on ebay before, but this is the first time I sold a jersey. I suppose I'll have to use a reserve next time so I don't get burned. The auction went off at midnight, which may have been a little late for people on the east coast.
    I wouldn't say you got burned on the sale, but probably had bad timing. I've listed many items that had no bids, just to relist them a couple weeks later and do well. It's all a gamble and you'll probably do better next time you list an item. Also, midnight is way too late for an auction end time. Due to that end time you probably lost another motivated bidder.

I, for one, hate reserve auctions and usually don't waste my time on them.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reserves tend to scare away buyers as do high BINs. It gives off the impression that the seller is overvaluing the item. In my experience, have a price in mind and make the BIN so that price is 20% less.

Cool Re: Selling disappointments

While I did mention a reserve, I will say that it does scare off bidders. I tend to try and stay away from them but I brought it up since it is a valid option.

I think the one key thing here that really hurt you was the ending time of the auction. As a bidder, I love late night auctions as I'm usually still up at that time and most of the competition has gone to bed. As a seller though, that kills your sale prices. Most of my sales when I do sell on there, the buyers are from the mainland USA, so I always consider the 3 hour time gap when putting up auctions since I'm on the west coast.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

My problem is that I work the 4-12 shift, so I am normally up pretty late. So mostly my best time is late in the evening. Guess I'll just have to wait for a night off next time!

My problem is that I work the 4-12 shift, so I am normally up pretty late. So mostly my best time is late in the evening. Guess I'll just have to wait for a night off next time!
    Jason,

With ebay you can schedule a specific time for your autions to end. I believe it only cost a dime per auction.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    Jason,

With ebay you can schedule a specific time for your autions to end. I believe it only cost a dime per auction.
    I always do this because I like my auctions to end Sunday night at 9 PM eastern.
    looking for anything from former Tampa Bay Buccaneer & current Jacksonville Jag Roy Miller

Banned

another thing with ebay and this tip came from a veteran powerseller who saw one of my auctions lacked this. post multiple pics of the item from different angles and the coa if any. they charge you for more than one pic which sucks but i can see that influencing someone's decision especially with gu items. yeah they could just message you for more pics but people can be lazy so it is better to just post them.