Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Selling disappointments

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but how many of you guys have been disappointed with what an item you sold went for? I sold my first jersey last night with a facemask and it went for $66. I know the jersey was not worn by a superstar but I was hoping for a little more than that. I guess thats what you get for not setting a reserve.

Re: Selling disappointments

I purchased a Steiner game worn Yankees jersey directly from their site for $3,500 and it ended up selling on Ebay for $500 a couple of months later. I should have ended the auction early and kept it instead. crass.

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    I purchased a Steiner game worn Yankees jersey directly from their site for $3,500 and it ended up selling on Ebay for $500 a couple of months later. I should have ended the auction early and kept it instead. crass.
    I had a similar result at one of the big auction houses with a Yankees Clemens jersey that I bought at a wholesale price from Steiner. This was before Clemens had his issue with accusations of PEDs.

Just thankful I didn't pay anything close to "their" retail price. I figured with all the demand of Clemens and the fact that I bought at wholesale I would be okay. Not sure what went wrong but I lost at the time $thousands.

In hindsight given Clemen's unpopularity now, I am probably very fortunate that I sold it then. Could you imagine if you tried to sell a hologram'd Clemens today that you bought 5 years ago.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

what REASONABLE people consider before they go out and spend money on hobby items.

Jim

Banned

I assume your talking about Ebay. That site is almost all bargain hunters these days. Meaning people who are weekend "dealers" who use it to buy items cheap and resell on there or on other sites for a profit. I sold some of my autograph collection on there and lost money on every sale. In some cases 50-60% on items that you would think would be desirable i.e. a kevin garnett uda signed leather basketball, a peyton manning mounted memories signed mini (the week leading up to the super bowl no less) and many others. Then a couple of weeks later the items would turn up at a fixed price at like almost twice what i sold them for. I think another issue with prices realized is when you sell. This time of year is a bad time to sell football stuff as training camp is months away and alot of people who collect football are caught up in baseball fever and focusing on buying baseball stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I assume your talking about Ebay. That site is almost all bargain hunters these days. Meaning people who are weekend "dealers" who use it to buy items cheap and resell on there or on other sites for a profit. I sold some of my autograph collection on there and lost money on every sale. In some cases 50-60% on items that you would think would be desirable i.e. a kevin garnett uda signed leather basketball, a peyton manning mounted memories signed mini (the week leading up to the super bowl no less) and many others. Then a couple of weeks later the items would turn up at a fixed price at like almost twice what i sold them for. I think another issue with prices realized is when you sell. This time of year is a bad time to sell football stuff as training camp is months away and alot of people who collect football are caught up in baseball fever and focusing on buying baseball stuff.
    My Clemens sold at one of the big auction houses. When I use eBay as a Seller, it is generally BuyItNow with Best Offer just for the reasons you say.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I only use buy it now to sell, sometimes with the best offer option. Sometimes you have to be patient, but I seem to sell almost everything I list. You just have to list at a reasonable price. Don't try to get retail.

Banned

Correct me if I am wrong but to use fixed price don't you have to have a certain amount of postive feedbacks as a seller? When I started selling on there they forced me to use auction style listings.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but to use fixed price don't you have to have a certain amount of postive feedbacks as a seller? When I started selling on there they forced me to use auction style listings.
    I have never heard of that. I have been selling for around 10 yrs now though.

When I list an item, and get to the "Choose how you'd like to sell your item" part, I click on the "Fixed Price" tab and enter my price.

Cool Re: Selling disappointments

Yea, if you're not willing to accept that it could go extremely cheap then setting a reserve or the minimum amount to the lowest you'd let it go for is the way to go.

Another thing, what time did it end?

I was watching an auction this weekend until I realized it ended at 5am pacific time on a saturday morning. Almost no auctions are worth getting up that early to bid on. I don't use sniping programs and almost always bid in the last 15 seconds. I hate bidding early hoping it ends under my max bid, that often results in getting bid up quite a bit.

So in a sense, I'm one of the bargain hunters on there looking for the cheapest price, but who doesn't do that? I don't do it to flip items, it's almost always for my own collection or for a friend.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan