• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indyred
    • May 2006

Re: Steiner admits there are many "fake" Steiner products

Originally posted by mbenga28
    this was posted in another thread.

What is fake about it? Isn't it just a game issued jersey. Did you get it straight from Steiner or from Ebay.

Comment

• skinsfan0521
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by David
      In short, for their own benefit, Steiner should be protecting their stuff on the secondary market and hoping it sells well and smoothly on the secondary market.
      I completely agree David.

The only way they stay a respected company among the collecting community is to protect their name by making it easier for somebody to buy/sell on the secondary market. If they take away the option to sell on the secondary market by not allowing people to do research, then they've shot themselves in the foot.

The problem is that they don't quite see that far into the future. They're looking at the immediate future and what they can do to sell the stuff directly, but they fail to realize the best way to build up their brand is to make their name a respected one on the secondary market.

Comment

• mbenga28
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by indyred
        What is fake about it? Isn't it just a game issued jersey. Did you get it straight from Steiner or from Ebay.
        right the game issued ones that some suspected were made from blank jerseys that only had a Steiner hologram and no LOA.

Comment

• BULBUS
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mbenga28
          right the game issued ones that some suspected were made from blank jerseys that only had a Steiner hologram and no LOA.
          mbenga,

the jersey you posted is another members jersey who got it directly from steiner and it has an loa.
          Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
          sigpic
          donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• sportscentury
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by David
            The problem with the 'buy only directly from us' idea is that their memorabilia only has long term value if it has secondary market resale value. If it doesn't have resale value on the secondary market, few people will invest in Steiner. Once you buy something from Steiner, the only way you can can get money from the item is on the secondary market.
            Yes, this was the point of my first post in this thread (see post #10).
            Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• suave1477
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Another thread spun completely out of control for no reason

Comment

• skinsfan0521
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by suave1477
                I'm not quite sure what's "out of control" about it. Just pointing out that Steiner is doing nothing to help their customers out in the long run. They're short-sighted and aren't protecting their customer by building a reliable brand.

Comment

• BULBUS
                  • Nov 2005

I wouldnt say its out of control. We have a Steiner rep responding. More questions should be directed at him and maybe we can get some answers.
                  Chris

sigpic
                  donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• sportscentury
                    • Nov 2005

Jason, I know you do a lot of business with Steiner, but your statement is inaccurate. There is nothing wrong with this thread, and it is not even close to being "completely out of control." LegalEagle brought a legitimate point to the table and it is being discussed reasonably by GUU members.
                    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• suave1477
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BULBUS
                      I wouldnt say its out of control. We have a Steiner rep responding. More questions should be directed at him and maybe we can get some answers.

Bulbus you have a Steiner rep who took the time out of his day to just lend a halping hand and try to make sense of what was possibly may have been a misunderstanding that was it.

And members here jump all over him like vultures.

It was completely uncalled for and now you want him to answer questions after you attacked him???

I mean come on are you serious?

He was just trying to help

Comment

• BCowan40
                        • Aug 2006

Bulbus I'd be more then happy to answer/discuss anything you or anyone else would like, feel free to give me a call at 914-307-1004 or shoot me an e-mail at bcowan@steinersports.com. I'm always willing to help where I can. Not promising I'm the end all be all for answers or can fix everyones issues in a day but I'm willing to help where possible.

Comment

• suave1477
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by sportscentury
                          Jason, I know you do a lot of business with Steiner, but your statement is inaccurate. There is nothing wrong with this thread, and it is not even close to being "completely out of control." LegalEagle brought a legitimate point to the table and it is being discussed reasonably by GUU members.

Sportscentury have I done business with Steiner YES. Is my opinion bias NO.
                          I am a very objective person and believe in standing for what is right.

Attacking someone for trying to help is wrong period ended.

Comment

• skinsfan0521
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by BCowan40
                            Bulbus I'd be more then happy to answer/discuss anything you or anyone else would like, feel free to give me a call at 914-307-1004 or shoot me an e-mail at bcowan@steinersports.com. I'm always willing to help where I can. Not promising I'm the end all be all for answers or can fix everyones issues in a day but I'm willing to help where possible.
                            I think it would be most helpful if you answered questions in this (or a new thread) so it can be public knowledge.

I, personally, only have one question:

Why doesn't Steiner keep track of hologram numbers and make them available to search online?

It would improve confidence 100% if that simple thing were implemented.

Thanks a lot!

-Brian

Comment

• sonic
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sportscentury
                              Thanks for chiming in, Jigga. I, for one, want to thank LegalEagle for his post, and for starting this thread. He is a well-respected, regular poster here on GUU, and also a collector of Steiner items. He has no reason to make up a story or "alleged conversation" as you put it. The implicit suggestion that his report may be less than honest is not fair. Sharing this type of critical information is what helps us to look out for each other here on GUU, so LegalEagle is to be thanked for his contribution.
                              Long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I agree that its crucial for there to be as much transparency as possible in our hobby, but I'm not sure this thread is a constructive way to accomplish that. The OP posted a rather inflammatory conclusion that, if true, damages Steiner's reputration. The responsible thing to have done was cut and paste the email exchange verbatim and let people draw their own conclusions.

Moreover, Steiner seems to have been very helpful to the OP in authenticating his recent eBay purchase so as a matter of common courtesy I'm not sure that throwing the company under the bus was appropriate given that context of the conversation.

Comment

• BULBUS
                                • Nov 2005

And members here jump all over him like vultures.
                                Who directly attacked Mr. Cowan? There is a lot of Steiner bashing, sure, but I havent seen any "vultures".

Brooks,

If you could answer a couple of the questions asked here on the forum, maybe it will help a lot more people understand Steiners thinking. Why no data base for the holograms? Have you seen the game issued jerseys on Ebay?

Thanks,
                                Chris
                                Chris

sigpic
                                donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

Working...