X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legaleagle92481
    Banned
    • Oct 2009

Steiner admits there are many "fake" Steiner products

Steiner has admitted to me that they are aware that there are many fake Steiner products out there and recommends that collectors avoid purchasing "Steiner" products off Ebay. They stated that they recommend collector's buy directly from them. I just figured I would post this in response to the discussions on here about this topic. If I were a direct dealer I would be extremely pissed off at them.
  • mbenga28
    • Nov 2008

Re: Steiner admits there are many "fake" Steiner products

you mean Brandon directly said this or one of his gremlin reps? and what kind of fake products, did they mean autographed items, game worn/issued related?

Comment

• mbenga28
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
      They stated that they recommend collector's buy directly from them.
      does anyone else feel that they are actually thrilled about there being "fake" Steiner knockoffs out on Ebay, then suggest you buy directly from them where you are at their mercy at paying full price?

Comment

• legaleagle92481
        Banned
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by mbenga28
        you mean Brandon directly said this or one of his gremlin reps? and what kind of fake products, did they mean autographed items, game worn/issued related?
        One of the gremlins and he was talking about everything. I specfically brought up to him the Phil Hughes signed baseball that morphed into a Obama-Jordan "signed" baseball that was discussed on here last month and the star Yankee GI jerseys without loas.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
          Banned
          • Oct 2009

does anyone else feel that they are actually thrilled about there being "fake" Steiner knockoffs out on Ebay, then suggest you buy directly from them where you are at their mercy at paying full price?
          Oh I know they are because he also said that if you buy from us you will pay a couple of bucks more but at least you know it is real. So basicially they are saying Steiner products are worthless unless you buy them directly from Steiner. So that basicially screws even those collectors looking to resell products that they bought from Steiner at retail and those direct dealers who invested in wholesale inventory and depend on the sale thereof for part of their livelihood.

Comment

• mbenga28
            • Nov 2008

so say I go to one of the official clubhouse shops for one of the teams they partnership with, say the New York Yankees and one of their stores over at Times Square in New York City. They sell autographed Steiner authenticated photographs, am I not to buy from them now since it's not directly from Steiner?

Comment

• suave1477
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

so say I go to one of the official clubhouse shops for one of the teams they partnership with, say the New York Yankees and one of their stores over at Times Square in New York City. They sell autographed Steiner authenticated photographs, am I not to buy from them now since it's not directly from Steiner?

That is buying directly from Steiner

Comment

• eric16841
                • Feb 2010

What i dont understand is buying a steiner item that is game used or issued comes with a hologram, a letter, and a numbered hologram matched on item and on letter. If your buying off ebay you should see all those items. I can see just on autos it being a little easier to fake but they should have the credit card coa and hologram. i think as long as you do your research your ok buying alternative. Its best if it comes directly from steiner but what about items they dont have anymore like older player that they sold all there game used years ago.

Comment

• mbenga28
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by suave1477
                  That is buying directly from Steiner
                  why so, shouldn't a team clubhouse shop also be considered as a third party dealer? now if I purchased one of these from Steiner's store in Roosevelt Mall or Last Licks, I'd consider that as being directly from Steiner.

Comment

• sportscentury
                    • Nov 2005

Guys, if you follow GUU and the market, you should realize by now that the folks at Steiner are not the brightest bulbs in the shed. If they are spreading the word that the Steiner items on the secondary market (e.g., eBay) are fake, then this will ultimately DECREASE Steiner's sales. Why the heck would you want to pay Steiner's insanely high prices when you know that you won't be able to sell your Steiner on the secondary market if and when you tire of them or need to sell them to raise money for something? It's laughable. A real think tank they they have over there. We need to get their top sales rep "Jigga-Man" back on here to explain their business model! (GUU vets will enjoy this reference)
                    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• PwKw13
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by sportscentury
                      If they are spreading the word that the Steiner items on the secondary market (e.g., eBay) are fake, then this will ultimately DECREASE Steiner's sales.
                      I agree. You would think that they would want people to believe that a Steiner certification means an item will hold its value.

Comment

• indyred
                        • May 2006

It's too bad they didn't do a better system in keeping track of game used stuff (Yankee, Red Sox, Dodgers) ect and had own serial # tags sewn in like MeiGray has. Then keep it all in a data base and keep population reports on the jerseys. So people can tell how many jerseys were worn each season ect.

Comment

• mbenga28
                          • Nov 2008

what's the purpose of using those numbered holograms if they're not even trackable, why not just issue the same general hologram they place on their signed items?

sportscentury, is it true that some of the more coveted items they do not list on their website and instead notify mailing lists recipients to not only give them first change before everyone else but to preclude use of discount codes?

Comment

• sportscentury
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by indyred
                            It's too bad they didn't do a better system in keeping track of game used stuff (Yankee, Red Sox, Dodgers) ect and had own serial # tags sewn in like MeiGray has. Then keep it all in a data base and keep population reports on the jerseys. So people can tell how many jerseys were worn each season ect.
                            Indy, do you remember the old GUU threads when people argued with me that Steiner's tracking system was as good as MeiGray's? At the time, I just had to laugh. There would be many laughing with me now. I wonder where these GUU users are now? They still post, but not in any of the recent threads about Steiner's tracking system, the fake items on eBay, or this thread about Steiner telling LegalEagle that you can only trust Steiner items that are purchased directly from the company. No surprise, though.
                            Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• BCowan40
                              • Aug 2006

Hi everyone one of the “gremlin’s” or "brightest bulbs in the shed" aka "Jigga-Man" chiming in here. I had to jump in here and hopefully nip this one in the bud before it spirals out of control as I can already see is happening. Without being a part of the conversation that was cited and without knowing who the conversation was between I do feel the need to set the record straight. Steiner Sports is not and has never "spread the word that Steiner items on the secondary market are fake." Again I was not part of the alleged conversation but what I think was meant to be said was the Steiner Sports is aware of fakes and misrepresentations that can happen on the secondary market, by no means are all secondary market purchases potential for fakes but the unfortunate reality as a lot of you know is in this day and age people do dishonest things and may misrepresent something in an effort to make a fast buck (a perfect example being the Obama/Jordan baseball which was portrayed as a Steiner item). Is it true that the best way to guarantee an item's authenticity is to buy directly from Steiner? Yes that's absolutely true but you can 100% get great and legitimate Steiner items on the secondary market. Nobody here believes that items not purchased directly from us are worthless at all we just don’t like to get involved in commenting on e-bay or other secondary sources because we don’t want to run into trouble in instances where our documentation has been tampered or someone is misrepresenting items. We stand behind our products and their authenticity as well as our dealers who resell our products. I think this thread has turned into a very big misunderstanding.

Comment

Working...