HELP; Anyone dispute an auction house over item cannot photomatch?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lokee
    Banned
    • May 2008

Re: HELP; Anyone dispute an auction house over item cannot photomatch?

still who makes a purchase and doesn't do there homework ??? No offense but gee man what a crappy way to learn a lesson.

Comment

• nickacs
      • Apr 2009

Thanks again everyone for your input. Sorry, been super busy the last couple days, so catching up. I'll try and answer a couple posts and give some responses to some...

Originally posted by Lokee
      I hope it is not marketed the same if that situation (one mentioned above) is the one that ends up happening.
      Originally posted by sportscentury
      While reading all of the posts about putting this jersey back on the market, I have been thinking this exact same thing.
      No offense, but how do you think it should be worded if it goes back? Seems a lot of people who commented in this thread, as well as emails I received from some members, seem to think the jersey is "game worn, until proven guilty". Heck, I even had one GUU already give me a price to buy it from me.
      If the jersey goes back to the same auction house, the description would be exactly how it was before. Nothing more, nothing less. Many members here have said that until the jersey is photomatched in every single inning in 2007, it is "game worn", as is.
      Believe me, I personally do not think it was used in any of the 21 games, but that's me. I think that in the 2yrs I've been on this forum, I've never seen anyone in any sport have to go through as much hoops to try and photomatch a jersey! It just shouldn't be. The jersey was "advertised" as being game-worn in one of the 21 games in late 2007, so again, I feel this is blatant lie because it should photomatch with ease.

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
      My personal opinion is that it is most likely that the jersey sent to Steiner by the Yankees was not authentic and there are several possibilities as to how that happened. The person charged with getting the jersey from Derek may have switched what he was given with another jersey so he could make some money for himself by selling it himself and noone would be the wiser or the wrong jersey was taken out of the locker.
      My sentiments exactly. Again, a person should'nt have to go through all these hoops to photomatch a home Yankee pinstripe with this much effort. Heck, it's probably one of the easiest sports jerseys to photomatch right there along with NFL. And the rarity that you can actually pinpoint it's actual game use in a regular season. Try and do that with a 2008 or 2009 Yankee home pinstripe. You'll be scouring the 'net for days/weeks!

Originally posted by BorchertField
      I don't want to minimize nickacs' situation, but I think he's admitted that he didn't really do his homework before bidding. If he's doubting it now, it'll be his responsibility to go through all the games, and rule out this particular jersey. Or, as I mentioned before, send it for authentication from a reputable source. If they kick it back, he has justification for a refund.
      Originally posted by Lokee
      still who makes a purchase and doesn't do there homework ??? No offense but gee man what a crappy way to learn a lesson.
      Thanks Borchert. To both comments, yes, I completely agree 100% that it was my fault to not do more research/photomatch before the auction. Period. I take full responsibility for that end of it.
      I know I sound like a broken record, but I still feel in my heart that there is the other end where a consumer was lied about the description and what was purchased.
      If that's not the case, then every single auction house/lot description can be written at fault and the purchaser has no recourse? They are led to believe the jersey(s) are legitimate and as advertised.

I'm not trying to start any fights and not trying to be defensive to my poor actions before the auction, but as the purchaser, I was still dup'ed into false advertising.

I've contacted my Steiner employee "friend" again and I asked 2 questions:
      - The theory that Jeter might have switched jerseys in any of the 21 games.
      - The theory that the jersey is game worn prior to 8/14/07 when the Rizzuto #10 was added but then the patches were added, but the jersey was never used again past 8/14/07.

His responses:
      "Hey Nick,
      Let me try to answer these for you:
      • It’s entirely possible that a player changes uniforms during a game. However, it usually only happens under unique circumstances. For example, if a player is coming up on a milestone, like a 500th HR, a 300th Win, etc., often a player will switch uniforms a few times during the game so that multiple uniforms can be sold as “Game Used” from that particular event. Also, obviously, if a uniform rips during a game, they could go to a back up during the game. For a regular game, I don’t see any reason why a player would need to change uniforms though.
      • While this scenario you bring up is unlikely, I suppose it’s possible. I don’t have enough information to give you a definitive answer here, but it does seem unlikely."

Lastly, yes, I am considering contacting Meigray on Monday and seeing if they can help me at all. They have a lot more photo resources that I ever will and possibly it might pan out. Maybe, maybe not.

Thanks again everyone! Keep'em coming Appreciate everyone's time and input

Comment

• Lokee
        Banned
        • May 2008

If that jersey is re-sold through the same auction site with the same description that would be lame. If that is the case good thing you made this post so others can see what they are really getting.

Comment

• sportscentury
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by nickacs
          No offense, but how do you think it should be worded if it goes back? Seems a lot of people who commented in this thread, as well as emails I received from some members, seem to think the jersey is "game worn, until proven guilty". Heck, I even had one GUU already give me a price to buy it from me.
          If the jersey goes back to the same auction house, the description would be exactly how it was before. Nothing more, nothing less. Many members here have said that until the jersey is photomatched in every single inning in 2007, it is "game worn", as is.
          Nick, first of all, allow me to say that I feel bad for you and that I'm sorry that this happened. We have all had buying experiences where we wish we had done more homework prior to the purchase. So I feel you, believe me. All along, I have been hoping that someone would come up with a photomatch for you. Gosh, even in light of all of the non-matches, I still hold this hope for you.

In this case, I do think it would be proper for the auction house to either reference this thread or state that the jersey, despite substantial effort to do so, has thus far not been photomatchable. If you were on the buying end, you would want this information, no?

I'm not trying to get in the way here. Please do as you see fit, of course. I just wanted to explain my comment that you quoted in your post (#62).

Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• LWMM
            • Jul 2006

For what it's worth, a way to quickly and definitively rule out the 21 games would be to look at photos of Jeter in the first and ninth inning of each---if the jerseys in both photos are the same, it would show that he only wore one jersey in the game, and presumably not the one that you have.

Comment

• Tay1038
              • Dec 2005

Nick,
              I’m no angel but I think I can make the light at the end of the tunnel a bit brighter for you. Take a look at this video I stumbled across on youtube tonight. Maybe you’ll see what I see! …and all I wanted was listen to the song! Hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asd9vZWpLO8

Hint: Pause it on :52 second mark and see what happens! By the way, the song happens to fit this particular moment in time very well..
              Email: Tay1038@aol.com
              - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Comment

• Masimen
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Tay1038
                Nick,
                I’m no angel but I think I can make the light at the end of the tunnel a bit brighter for you. Take a look at this video I stumbled across on youtube tonight. Maybe you’ll see what I see! …and all I wanted was listen to the song! Hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asd9vZWpLO8

Hint: Pause it on :52 second mark and see what happens! By the way, the song happens to fit this particular moment in time very well..
                Wow! I think you found it! Even the MLB patch looks right. Too bad that damn pink letter A is in the way.

Comment

• Tay1038
                  • Dec 2005

Nick.. Let me know if you still feel honored to pay a fee . Hope this helps.
                  Attached Files
                  Email: Tay1038@aol.com
                  - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Comment

• Dewey2007
                    • Dec 2007

Here are two more shots from the same game on 9/5/07 vs the Mariners
                    Attached Files
                    sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• jetersbatboy
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Dewey2007
                      Here are two more shots from the same game on 9/5/07 vs the Mariners
                      Looks close, but I don't think its it. Look at the pinstripe spacing on the right armpit sleeve.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• yanks12025
                        • Jan 2006

No match, there's only one stripe going throw the NY, while your's has 2.

Comment

Working...