Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: JO Sports adding teams in 2010?

I think that the biggest reason for them being able to charge the prices that they do is that they have exclusive partnerships with several teams. So, if you want a jersey from one of those teams (Redskins for me), then you need to buy it from them or the occasional BCA jersey on NFL Auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by skinsfan0521 View Post
    Yeah, they have a Chris Cooley 'Skins helmet from 2007 (no significance) for $3k.... don't know why anybody would spend that. Buuut, like you said, I think they target the people who just want something and price is no object. Not people who are in the hobby.

What is JO sports eBay name?
    Really?
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by skinsfan0521 View Post
    Yeah, they have a Chris Cooley 'Skins helmet from 2007 (no significance) for $3k.... don't know why anybody would spend that. Buuut, like you said, I think they target the people who just want something and price is no object. Not people who are in the hobby.

What is JO sports eBay name?
    I just check and JO's Ebay name is: j.o.sportsco

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Really?
    Yeah, I think that they focus on people who don't know about auction sites, have team contacts, etc. I don't think that many of the people on this board would be interested in most of their items.

I know that the star jerseys will move at whatever prices they make them among people in the hobby. No matter who the customer is (educated in the hobby or not), they will be able to sell an Adrian Peterson jersey for whatever they want. What I'm talking about is the jerseys from several years ago of people who weren't starters and aren't even in the NFL anymore. I don't see too many members of this board paying $500 for those jerseys. I'm guessing that they'd use other means to get one of these players if they really wanted one.

I'm only talking about Redskins stuff that JO has, because that's really all I'm interested in that JO has. I understand that somebody said earlier that they have many jerseys in the $150 range... and they may. But there isn't even ONE under $200 for the Redskins.

I'm really not trying to argue or anything like that. I'm just giving my opinion. I think that the high end are targeted to everybody, but the price drop isn't what I think it should be for the common player jerseys -- which is what I'm interested in and collect (as you could tell by who I collect in my signature. haha).

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingshelmetguy View Post
    I just check and JO's Ebay name is: j.o.sportsco
    Thanks.

It looks like they've got a ton of Raiders jerseys on there and many of those seem to be reasonable. Same for Vikings jerseys. Many of those seem reasonable too.

I do agree w/the earlier poster who mentioned that they should have real auctions to set the prices. But, if I were them, I wouldn't do that either. You could get burned really badly by that and I wouldn't expect that they'd want to take that risk. I don't remember which one, but I do know that they just listed a bunch of items in a "major" online auction (maybe Gray Flannel, Legendary, Iconic, or something -- Don't remember which one right now.)

I may be in the minority but I can understand the model they appear to be working from. Given the appetite for game used items, these exclusive contracts with these teams are not cheap. JO brings a full inventory to their website and sell several items for premium prices to collectors willing to pay a premium for certain authenticity. The buyers also get a jersey that is otherwise very hard to locate paying a premium for certainty of getting the item and getting it directly from the team.

Once they have marketed these jerseys for a period of time, they release some into the secondary market (GUU Auctions, Grey Flannel, ebay, etc) to thin the inventory while likely keeping the prices higher on the more desirable inventory.

I personally own two jerseys that were authenticated through JO Sports. I purchased both through auction houses. However, I would purchase items directly from them to secure a player or jersey that was central to my collection and I could not find it elsewhere. They seem to target:

1. less hard-core collectors with significant disposable income who want something authentic and do not want to dig around trying to find it.

2. Seasoned collectors looking for "grail" items.

Yes these items can be often be found for less from other sources but they often require some searching/patience and knowledge. This time and energy has a value. At a certain price, it is worth it for a collector to pay to acquire an item. That number is different for all of us.

This model prices several collectors out of the market on their initial offerings but if those buyers did not buy, JO would not be viable keeping some great jerseys out of the hobby and some of their lesser jerseys out of the auctions. I am somewhat thankful for those collectors because they are the ones who gather the team and league attention bringing more quality authentic product into the marketplace. These jerseys are often resold at a loss but remain in the hobby.

I buy through NFL Auctions, NBA Auctions as well. Again premium prices but good jerseys that often can not be found elsewhere. Just my two cents.

I think JO Sports prices are very good since you know the source of there jersey's. I would not buy a game used jersey from ebay or some of the other auctions houses since there are too many fakes out there. If I am going to spend top dollar and I want know for sure my jersey was used by the player in an actual game.

"know for sure my jersey was used by the player in an actual game"

Be careful about any "blind faith" because mistakes do happen. Regardless of source (JO or otherwise) it is still up to the buyer to do the research if the authenticity truly matters especially if a premium price is being paid.

Right now, the only way I would be able to afford something from JO is to sell my entire collection. I'd be able to afford one then. I'm middle class, which like most of us, live pay check to pay check due to this economy. I couldn't justify spending $1000 or more on a jersey right now because that could go towards several things that are more important. I truly enjoy my collection, and I don't think I need some expensive jersey to make my collection complete. Although I am pretty sure if money wasn't an issue, I'd have some pretty awesome jerseys!

Quote Originally Posted by JackHE View Post
    "know for sure my jersey was used by the player in an actual game"

Be careful about any "blind faith" because mistakes do happen. Regardless of source (JO or otherwise) it is still up to the buyer to do the research if the authenticity truly matters especially if a premium price is being paid.
    Good point. Homework is always a good thing and there are no absolutes. I should have clarified as a higher level of certainty.