Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirkb
    • Mar 2009

Re: Cardinals jerseys in Grey Flannel

For what its worth I am apparently still banned by Russek, apparently for telling the truth. I guess some people cannot handle the truth.
    I was apparently banned from GF last year for reporting GF was handling yet another(in my opinion), fake Barry Sanders jersey. I was courteous, there was no argument, they pulled the jersey, then I found out I was banned with no explanation.
    Being a Detroit Lion fan and jersey collector, I have 100's of photos and all videos of Barry Sanders games. You cannot fool me. I own Barry's only 1991 home, 1992 home, and 1993 road. The same rips, tears appear week after week. I have seen the '92 home auctioned over 20 times, and the '91 home I'd say 7 or 8 times. Of course none of these have ever been photo matched. Each and every one of them is a fake in my opinion. And I have tons of evidence.
    I know it probably gets annoying for some of these companies, who to believe or not believe. But it is equally difficult to watch this stuff go on and on when you know the truth. I am sure there are scores of collectors here from other cities with similar knowledge.
    As for being banned I'll just go through another party to aquire the item I want.

Comment

• nickacs
      • Apr 2009

Kirkb, I'm right there with ya man. It's such a shame how many times a players jerseys are auctioned and not even worth a dime. And how many times it makes it around the block.. Sheesh

I wouldn't consider myself a MJ jersey "expert" but in my quest for a legit MJ home/away jersey, I've tried to photomatch every one that has come through auction houses/Ebay. I even email the auction houses the discrepancies, and while some listen, most do not. There is one '96 MJ in a current auction house as we speak (I can't list the name because they've already threatened me by seeing my posts on here in the past), but I emailed them the Getty photos that undeniably show it's just the usual MJ authentic that gets sold by everyone. They thanked me, but because it comes with a Lampson special and even a GFC letter, they say it must be legit.
      Fine by me, but I won't come anywhere near it. With my latest Jeter jersey saga, it just kills me to see others burned spending thousands of dollars on something that is worth maybe a couple hundred at best. The auction houses don't authenticate themselves (which is the problem) and leaving it to 3rd parties to do the work for them.

You just have to sort out the bad crap with the good. There are some good items out there to be had, you just have to find them. Makes it 10x harder to want to bid on anything these days....

Comment

• skipcarayislegend
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Birdbats
        If you look at the eight "gamers," they all have too much material on the name plates the the left and right of the NOB lettering. This is a common trait of bad Cardinals jerseys after the mid 1990s.
        Of the eight jerseys originally listed (McGwire, Pujols, Renteria, Drew, Matheny, Edmonds, Rolen and Taguchi), six have been "temporarily" removed. Anyone care to guess which two remain open?

Big ups to GF for ignoring the baseless harassment from the amateurs and taking it upon themselves to seek the advice of a credible Cards expert.

Comment

• Birdbats
          • Nov 2005

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised to see that GF might actually have heard what I was trying to tell them. Good to see that six jerseys are temporarily withdrawn, but I hope they don't stop there. The 1931-32 jersey has a felt birds-on-bat logo when it should be embroidered. Pujols jerseys from 2003 should have a straight hem and not an athletic cut (tails). And not only do I still believe the McGwire jersey has too much material on the name plate, but I know for a fact (thanks to the curator in Cooperstown) that the tagging isn't remotely similar to the tagging in the jersey Mac wore when he hit HR #62. Granted, it's likely that not all of Mac's jerseys in '98 were tagged differently than other guys' jerseys. But, I have to wonder if there were two types of Mac jerseys in '98 -- those he wore, which are identifiable by the tagging, and those he gave away, which had typical tagging. Still researching this through the team.

In case anyone is wondering what I mean by "too much material on the name plate," the photos below compare legit jerseys (left) with GF's jerseys (right, with edges of plates highlighted). I've also included a photo of a legit '31 embroidered jersey next to GF's felt-patch jersey. For the record, I suspect it's a salesman's sample. Rawlings lost the Cardinals contract in the late '20s, but won it back in '31. The GF jersey could be one of the options they presented in trying to win back the Cardinals business. Don't know for sure, but I do know it's not "game issued."

Jeff Scott
          birdbats@charter.net
          http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• Lokee
            Banned
            • May 2008

When evidence like this is presented if you do not remove the items you really are a douche.

Comment

• Mulligans
              • Dec 2009

I am not sure that I understand why the Harrison Jersey is not thought to be legitimate? I have looked through the past posts, but I am still not certain what is going on?

Are you suggesting that the Harrison has been floating around for awhile at other auctions and then someone added the words "Game Used" to it after the fact?

Can someone who is aware of the situation please be more specific?

Thanks!

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                Banned
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Mulligans
                I am not sure that I understand why the Harrison Jersey is not thought to be legitimate? I have looked through the past posts, but I am still not certain what is going on?

Are you suggesting that the Harrison has been floating around for awhile at other auctions and then someone added the words "Game Used" to it after the fact?

Can someone who is aware of the situation please be more specific?

Thanks!
                It appears to be the same jersey that Eric Stangel commented on a couple of years ago when it was auctioned earlier. The GU inscription appears to have been written by a different hand then the signature. In 2004 Marvin did sell a few jerseys to Authentic Sports Investments (ASI) who at the time was a big memorabilia company they had Sammy Sosa, Palermiro and a bunch of other athletes as exclusive athletes. I recently picked one up that was blessed by Mears and JO and photomatched and the customizations on the jersey in the GF auction are accurate. It is the handwriting that concerns me though.

Comment

• Mulligans
                  • Dec 2009

I'm still not sure that I undertand the problem with the Harrison Jersey. In my opinion, the words "Game Used" look similar in style, ink color, bleeding etc.

I could not find or see the Harrison that was listed on the other auction site? Did the Jersey originally appear in the other Auction without the words "Game Used" and then someone felt that they were added after the fact?

Any further info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

• Birdbats
                    • Nov 2005

A postscript...

I tried to log onto my Grey Flannel account today to bid on the 1988 Twins Gaetti jersey -- but my bidding privileges have been revoked.

So, let's recap. I called GF to share my concerns about nine Cardinals jerseys. I received a verbal dressing down from the president of the company. Soon after, six of the jerseys were pulled from the auction. Then I had my bidding privileges nuked.

And I'm the one with no credibility?
                    Jeff Scott
                    birdbats@charter.net
                    http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

Working...