Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLB Opening Day Baseballs?

I was under the assumption that Major League Baseball uses special baseballs with an Opening Day logo baseball for opening day??
    I went to the Yankees Red Sox game sunday night and got a foul ball hit near the camera well and the ball was just a normal ball.

This was my first opening day but didn't MLB use/use to have the specially logoed baseballs?

Reason I ask is because I was really pumped to get that ball thinking it was an opening day one but turned out to be a normal ball that they use all season.

Re: MLB Opening Day Baseballs?

[ I was really pumped to get that ball thinking it was an opening day one but turned out to be a normal ball that they use all season.[/quote]

GOD I HATE THAT FEELING !!!!

I dont know why ...saving money ?.....but mlb has really disappointed me
    with the lack of commemorative baseballs the last 10 years. And this years opening day ball looks exactly like 2009's ....
    and 2008's
    and 2007's
    and 2006's ( which is the last year I think they were used in the game)

ugh ...and even worse is that they are only used as ceremonial first pitches....so unless your the teams rookie designated to that role of catcher for such pitches .....your not going to catch one.

i DO HAVE A STORY ABOUT AN OPENING DAY BALL.....WANT TO HEAR IT?

GREAT !

2006 in Cincinatti Pesident Bush was there to toss out the first pitch and
    somehow during the game I managed to get a great standing spot just off to the left of home plate in the lower level. There were about 5-6 secret servicemen standing along side the railing so I just stood next to them ....I had a chicago police hat on so maybe thats why I didnt get the boot ? ...lol.

I had my glove of course , and I exaplined to one of the secret service guys how I was going to catch a foul ball....and I told him about the special logo...( i had already looked at another foul ball so I knew they were beign used) So when Todd Walker fouled one right to me , I snagged it....on the fly ....got the applause and all from the crowd ...
    the secret service men looked at me and one said " lets see the logo ".
    I replied ..show me the uzi ...and HE DID by opening his overcoat.
    Pretty damn cool !!. Although I think he said they werent uzi's anymore?

And just after that I got the boot from my spot

From the few games I watched today I didn't see any Opening Day logos, but I bet the Mets have a few for BP . God only knows what that team has for BP.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawknet View Post
    i DO HAVE A STORY ABOUT AN OPENING DAY BALL.....WANT TO HEAR IT?

GREAT !

2006 in Cincinatti Pesident Bush was there to toss out the first pitch and
    somehow during the game I managed to get a great standing spot just off to the left of home plate in the lower level. There were about 5-6 secret servicemen standing along side the railing so I just stood next to them ....I had a chicago police hat on so maybe thats why I didnt get the boot ? ...lol.

I had my glove of course , and I exaplined to one of the secret service guys how I was going to catch a foul ball....and I told him about the special logo...( i had already looked at another foul ball so I knew they were beign used) So when Todd Walker fouled one right to me , I snagged it....on the fly ....got the applause and all from the crowd ...
    the secret service men looked at me and one said " lets see the logo ".
    I replied ..show me the uzi ...and HE DID by opening his overcoat.
    Pretty damn cool !!. Although I think he said they werent uzi's anymore?

And just after that I got the boot from my spot
    Now that sir, is one awesome story!!!

MLB seems to have been hit & miss weather they used opening day baseballs over the years, seems to me the first ones I noticed were around 2000 & the last time I saw any was 2006...
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

I was looking at some Opening Day pictures and found this:

Johnny Bench before throwing the first pitch...looks like a logo ball???

Zoom and rotate, sure enough

Hope this helps! Also, a bunch of other great high quality Opening Day photos on this flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24420819@N06/

i was at the first two pre season games at the twins' new target field and got tossed a ball above the twins dugout. The ball has an opening year logo which is pretty cool.

hope this helps
    Thanks,
    Bobby

lehmsbobby@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by lehmsbobby View Post
    i was at the first two pre season games at the twins' new target field and got tossed a ball above the twins dugout. The ball has an opening year logo which is pretty cool.

hope this helps

Im glad to hear that ! Was not usre if they had started using the
    inaugural Target Field balls yet or if they were waiting until the actual
    opening day next week.

Now I just have to cross my fingers they still have some in supply when
    their road trip reaches Chicago on Friday . Usually they only bring so
    many with them for bp....then replenish from the home team. So with 4 games at the Angels prior to the Sox im probably going to be out of luck

In 2009, most teams didn't get their shipments of the Opening Day logo'd balls.

I hope this year they all had them!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I asked Marc & he said the Tigers didn't have an opening day logo on the baseballs.
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net