Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: practice items

Re: practice items

same reason you park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway

Banned

I have a very, very restrictive defintion of game used and it excludes everything that was not worn while playing an actual game. to me you dress but did not play you item is bench or sideline worn. the stuff you wear while sitting on the bench or the sideline is also bench or sideline worn i.e. jackets, caps for qbs, etc. managers and coaches stuff is not game used because they did not play in the game. practice worn stuff is practice worn. pregame stuff is pregame worn. spring training and preseason worn is just that. alot of collectors have a different defintion but i think it plays out in the values of the items. notice meigray sells an ovi practice jersey for 1,200 they sell one worn during actual games for 7,500. you could buy over 6 practice jerseys for the price of that one used in a game. steiner for their yanks and sox items also prices their bp and spring training jerseys for a fraction of the cost of ones worn in a game. the prices realized in auctions show a similar trend. think how you would feel if you bought say a baseball bat and the seller said it was "game used" and it turned out that it was only used for BP how happy would you be?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    think how you would feel if you bought say a baseball bat and the seller said it was "game used" and it turned out that it was only used for BP how happy would you be?
    Unless you've got a photo match, or you (or someone you trust) saw the bat actually being used in a game, you don't know. It could have all the use on it in the world - ballmarks, deadwood, spike marks, etc - and still have been "just" a BP bat.

I've got a few of Luis Gonzalez' bats with an asterick or two on the knob, and he has told me that those were his gamers, and I've got a few other bats that I have good reason to believe are, too, but aside from that, let's be honest - who can really know?

Truth be told, there is more than just a trace of wishful thinking involved in this hobby.