Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: practice items

practice items

are practice worn/used items technically considered as being "game used" for years I didn't quite understand why batting practice jerseys are referred to as being "game used" while not being used in the actual game itself, just during practice.

Re: practice items

Same could be said for NBA warmups.

Well they are not technically "game used", because they were used in practice. But the player did wear the item

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    do you mean like jackets and pants because they did still wear that on the bench during the game, so I would consider those game used. but like with baseball, you don't see bp hats or bp jerseys during the games.

Sometimes so-called BP jerseys are also one of the team's alternate game jerseys. This is especially true in the minors, but I've seen instances of it in the majors, as well.

An even better question, imo, is how a "special" jersey - be it Jackie Robinson Day, TBTC, Hispanic Heritage, Armed Forces, or what-have-you - can be called "Game Used" when the player whose jersey it was didn't play on the day it was worn.

do you mean like jackets and pants because they did still wear that on the bench during the game, so I would consider those game used. but like with baseball, you don't see bp hats or bp jerseys during the games.
    Yeah, on the bench, but not during any game action.

I've got nothing against NBA warmups, but they're all "warmup worn" or "pine worn".

About the only significant NBA warmups I can come up with (and it's a stretch) are maybe the jacket Bird wore to win the 3-point contest and the one Willis Reed was wearing when he limped up the tunnel.

If it's anything practice then there is no way it can be game used because where does the word "game" fit into the description of the use of the jersey. I have two BP jerseys and one I know was used in many games during ST.

I always call practice stuff "Game Used".....I have bought a bunch of Practice Jerseys from MLB Auctions and they refer to practice items something like this "Game Used Batting Practice Jersey". As far as I'm concerned, if the player is wearing on the the field, on the day of the game, then it is Game used.

When I got an Olympic Jersey from Meigrey. It was worn to warm up, it never made it into the game, but it is still referred to as "Game Worn".

If I purchase a practice Jersey from the NHL, Its called a Game Worn Practice Jersey. I don't always agree with this example, but have seen it as a description.

Considering that I buy almost all my stuff from MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA, If its OK with them, then its OK with me.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    ...and managers and coaches (although I do consider those jerseys to be game used).

Practice-worn and spring training gear are all in the same boat, personally. To me, game worn means worn-in-games-that-count, so ST and BP are one in the same.

It depends on how you want to look at the entire picture. If you want to get technical game used would be anything used during a game, which could go as far as the gum the players use or the sodas the fans drink . IMO, game used is any piece of equipment a player used during that game whether they saw action or not.