Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do Players Change Helmets For the start of the Playoffs?

I just won the McGwire helmet in Grey Flannel Auction. It says in the title
    "1992 Mark McGwire Oakland Athletics Game-Used ALCS Batting Helmet (A’s LOA)"

I havnt gotten the item yet as it is in the process being shipped out. I have not read the A's COA yet. But I was wondering was it common practice for players in the early 90's to change Batting Helmets for the start of the playoffs? The use on the helmet looks pretty heavy. The a's last regular season game in 92 was Oct 4, and the LCS started Oct. 7. Granted McGwire had his best year since 87 that hitting 42 Homeruns, maybe out of superstition he would not change helmets? thats what im hoping, but I wanted to know if anyone here had heard of players changing helmets for the playoffs. Given the era and the kind of guy mcgwire was with his equipment, i can not see him changing helmets because of the playoffs. If anyone has any info or input please chime in. I basically have a bunch of long hours to kill as i await it's arrival. I have to read the Coa and see what it says obviously. In the 92 LCS McGwire played in 6 games, had 20 at bats and hit 1 HR. From the pictures it looks like this helmet saw more then 20 at bats, making my assumption soley based on the pictures that this was not just used for the ALCS. I have 2 pictures that i think are possible photomatches that i will compare once i get it in my hands.

Here are the pics from the auction page

Re: Do Players Change Helmets For the start of the Playoffs?

bump

It depends on the player and the team. Your best bet, imo, is to concentrate on McGwire only and his at bats in '92. Some teams do issue new helmets and have for awhile, like the Braves for example going back to at least '91. It's ultimately the player's choice whether or not he wants to wear the new one. I have a couple '91 Braves helmets but neither was used in the post season.

I also happen to own an A's helmet that was used in three different World Series (1988-1990). The player obviously could've broken in a new one but didn't because he liked the feel of the old helmet. From the looks of yours, I'd guess that McGwire wore it in the regular season. Great helmet, btw!

Banned

What worried me about this helmet is that the number on the back should be beside the ABC logo not above in the regular season.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/50...ts-Illustrated

Not sure how it was in the playoffs though

Quote Originally Posted by Lokee View Post
    What worried me about this helmet is that the number on the back should be beside the ABC logo not above in the regular season.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/50...ts-Illustrated

Not sure how it was in the playoffs though

the number isnt above. when i posted the pics i posted them on top of each other. the 3 pics from the item page were all seperate. when i posted them in this thread i put them on top of each other

Banned

I understand BUT I don't think you understand. If you look at the 25 decal right below it is the start of another decal (not the american baseball cap 7 3/8) I understand. Just pointing this out as 2400.00 is alot to spend on something.

I understand BUT I don't think you understand. If you look at the 25 decal right below it is the start of another decal (not the american baseball cap 7 3/8) I understand. Just pointing this out as 2400.00 is alot to spend on something.

ahh , now i get it. Yea. I can see what your referring to. well, im just gonna have to wait till i get the item in hand. ill post pics. Fingers crossed.

i checked out some 93 baseball cards. Since they use pictures from the previous season, i found pictures of mcgwire using a different style helmet for some away games. On some of the away games he used a helmet that also had a green brim. making the entire helmet green. So i think its safe to assume he used both yellow brim Home style helmets and the full green helmets thats season. The picture you posted did have him using the complete green helmet. So maybe the sticket placing of the decals was different for both styles. Ill take full pictures of the helmet and post them when i get the helmet in hand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by panthrotc View Post
    i checked out some 93 baseball cards. Since they use pictures from the previous season, i found pictures of mcgwire using a different style helmet for some away games. On some of the away games he used a helmet that also had a green brim. making the entire helmet green. So i think its safe to assume he used both yellow brim Home style helmets and the full green helmets thats season. The picture you posted did have him using the complete green helmet. So maybe the sticket placing of the decals was different for both styles. Ill take full pictures of the helmet and post them when i get the helmet in hand.

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your above quote but the full green helmets with green brim didn't come into play until 1993. Anyway, what was the outcome of your helmet? You never posted pictures. Was it what you thought it was. I had real concerns about this helmet but you don't have an email that I can find to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your above quote but the full green helmets with green brim didn't come into play until 1993. Anyway, what was the outcome of your helmet? You never posted pictures. Was it what you thought it was. I had real concerns about this helmet but you don't have an email that I can find to discuss.

i got the helmet in the mail, alot of good use on it. I ended up getting McGwire to sign the helmet a couple weeks later when came into town to play the philles. The autograph was not his full signature and didnt come out the way i would have liked. Soi then decided to consign it to an auction in hoping to put the money towards a future mcgwire purchase that im working on.