Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Marvin Harrison GU jersey worth ?

Make sure you keep in mind the value might change depending on how the murder case he is a suspect in turns out.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Marvin's rep took a beating with the pending case. While he was a superb receiver, in 10 years he won't be hot or remembered as a "sure thing HOFer" like Jerry Rice. Considering that the NFL churns out newer and better players every season, unless you can tie this jersey with a perfect photomatch to a specific game of merit, the value won't increase from where it was when he was playing in Indy. (In my opinion)

I get the feeling that NFL game worns are going to nosedive in value unless you can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was worn, shows good wear and the shirt was involved in more than just an average day. This goes for all current players, not just Marvin. Even if you have a Montana/Rice/Elway/Marino type player, values only seem to dip after they retire (unless it's well worn and tied to specific accomplishments). Looking over current and recent auctions, it is hot or miss whether you will get $250 or $2500.

Bottom line, if you are collecting current players (or in the last 20 years) game worns for "resale value" realize it is not only likely you may never make your money back, let alone become rich. We live in a society of struggling people and pathological liars, manufacturing wear and knockoffs. The average person knows now that 85% of game worns and autographs are fake and are no longer investing the kind of money they used to.

Harrison was a great player who most likely inspired some great Sundays for you. That is priceless. His used shirt simply isn't.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Banned

there is no case pending nor was there ever. while i will not discuss my views on the situation on this forum as to his guilt i think since the man he was alledged to have shot was killed in an unrelated shooting that no charges will ever be filed for lack of witnesses/evidence. however, there was a very interesting gq article about it a couple of months ago. marvin the man does not seem like a great guy but then that can be said about alot of athletes even those in hall of fames. since it is out of the news and there will never be a trial or even an arrest i dont think it will permantly affect his values or people's desire to collect his stuff as many fans probably are unaware of the whole situation. the real problem is out of sight and out of mind. retirement plunges memorabilia values like little else. but historically i think he is one of the ten best receivers of all time and he will make canton on the first ballot and the attention surrounding it will boost his values for awhile.

I think people should check this out on Marvin...very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXu8OQVx9s

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt28 View Post
    I think people should check this out on Marvin...very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXu8OQVx9s
    I know this is OT but I saw that story on E60 last week and it was unreal. Definitely worth checking out. I expect we will hear more about this before all is said and done.