Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Old Yankee Stadium Coming Down...

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    They tore down the ENTIRE stadium in the 70's? Or did they just take down part? I know about their renovation they had but I never really knew how much was taken down and rebuilt.
    They didn't tear it down entirely it just went through a huge remodeling process. I think the point he was making was that it wasn't kept in it's original state and once they changed the dimensions and some of the appearance, the stadium was no longer "old yankee stadium" but a new version. That is the way I feel about it at least . I enjoy seeing video and photos of the stadium before they rennovated it. It had such a unique quality about it that I can't really explain. Maybe it was the fact Mantle, Maris, Dimaggio and the other yankee greats roamed the outfield. Or the fat the monuments were actually in Centerfield.

If anyone hasn't seen the movie 61* yet, I would highly recommend seeing it. Tremendous film and Billy Crystal does a great job bringing the old stadium back to life with the help of tiger stadium and some computer work.

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    They tore down the ENTIRE stadium in the 70's? Or did they just take down part? I know about their renovation they had but I never really knew how much was taken down and rebuilt.
    What I was trying to say was once they took down the copper frieze that lined the roof, they killed the look of old Yankee Stadium. The Stadium from the 70s to its demise was NOT the Yankee Stadium, but a modern replica.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know there were changes. My father took me to two games there in 1962 before the changes were made. But although the stadium was altered it was still exactly where all the great events from the 1920's to the present took place. The changes were small in comparison with tearing the whole thing down and moving across the street. The attitude of , they made some changes in it in the 1970's so who cares if they tear it down now is EXACTLY the attitude I found among most New York fans. Which is why I said I thought I was part of a small group that was sad it was torn down.