Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old Yankee Stadium Coming Down...

Yankee Stadium is coming down and looks to be near completion of the demolition. Not too much is standing. Anybody know if there's any type of events being held for when the last bit is taken down, or if there's a specific date of when demolition will be complete?

*Photos come from www.stadiumpage.com

Re: Old Yankee Stadium Coming Down...

My question is that why did they wait so long to finally tear it down? Shea Stadium was taken down shortly after the end of the 2008 season.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    My question is that why did they wait so long to finally tear it down? Shea Stadium was taken down shortly after the end of the 2008 season.

They've been tearing it down since April, 2009. They're just taking forever to actually demolish it. Shea's demolition was complete in February, 2008, after just a couple months. Not sure why Yankee Stadium needs its precious time.

I seem to be one of the few, but I really hate to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    I seem to be one of the few, but I really hate to see it happen.
    Your not alone. I'm a Red Sox fan and it kills me to see those pictures. You will never be able to replace the history that place held.

And I'm sorry Yankee fans, but the new stadium will never be Yankee Stadium to me. There was only one Yankee Stadium.

I was really disappointed that Yankee fans didn't seem to care about the old Stadium being destroyed. We live in Texas and tired to make a trip up and go to some Yankee games every year or two. I made a point of getting tickets for the last game at the old Yankee Stadium. I'll have to say I have a lot of respect for the Red Sox fans in keeping Fenway. Despite its problems the Sox fans are keeping their history while the Yankees tore theirs down. I have felt no desire to make the effort to come up from Texas to see the new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    I'll have to say I have a lot of respect for the Red Sox fans in keeping Fenway. Despite its problems the Sox fans are keeping their history while the Yankees tore theirs down.
    The Fans had a say in this??? I'm sure if Yankee fans were asked and allowed to vote on it, the old stadium would still have baseball games being played there. Like any new stadium, it was built to make more money for the owners. Its only a matter of time before Fenway is leveled. I don't think they can add anymore seats above the green monster

Obviously the fans didn't get a vote. But all the fans I talked to didn't seem too upset. As I said, I got tickets to the last two games at the old Yankee stadium and the attitude seemed to be that the stadium had a lot of memories but it was old and time for a new one. Maybe this was not the prevailing attitude among all the fans, but it sure was among people I talked to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post

And I'm sorry Yankee fans, but the new stadium will never be Yankee Stadium to me. There was only one Yankee Stadium.
    They tore down Yankee Stadium in the early seventies. The stadium coming down now was a bland copy of the original and nothing like the original.......imho.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    They tore down Yankee Stadium in the early seventies. The stadium coming down now was a bland copy of the original and nothing like the original.......imho.

They tore down the ENTIRE stadium in the 70's? Or did they just take down part? I know about their renovation they had but I never really knew how much was taken down and rebuilt.