Ozzie Smith Jersey in Vintage Authentics Auction?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert Sanders
    • Nov 2005

Re: Ozzie Smith Jersey in Heritage Auctions?

Originally posted by Birdbats
    I talked to Jim Yackel this morning. He told me he hasn't updated his site in a while and that he did, indeed, sell his Ozzie Smith jersey before Christmas to someone who was "buying it as a gift."

After talking with Jim, I called Vintage Authentics and spoke with Mark, then sent Mark comparative photos and links to Jim's site. We'll see what happens from here.
    It seems that nothing has happened yet. What a shame.

Comment

• Birdbats
      • Nov 2005

Just received this e-mail reply from Mark Redmond at VA:

Hello Jeff,

We don’t think it’s the same jersey. There is no evidence of restitching and the tags show more wear/coloring etc than the issued jersey you mentioned.

Thank you,

Mark
      Jeff Scott
      birdbats@charter.net
      http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• Robert Sanders
        • Nov 2005

Hello Jeff,

We don’t think it’s the same jersey. There is no evidence of restitching and the tags show more wear/coloring etc than the issued jersey you mentioned.

Thank you,

Mark
        Hmm...adding a patch that wasn't there before does not constitute 'restitching'. And a few 'games' in the washing machine will certainly yield more wear than when it was a game issued jersey on Jim's site.

Comment

• nickacs
          • Apr 2009

Hello Jeff,

Thank you,

Mark
          Not surprised. I've gotten burned once for 4 figures in their last auction and will never do it again. Oh yea, the ARod "game worn" '07 jersey in their current auction is just like the fake Jeter I got from them last time. Please don't bid on it. I'm done with them and their notorious "love" for Mr. Lampson and his "letters".

Comment

• Birdbats
            • Nov 2005

Re: Ozzie Smith Jersey in Vintage Authentics Auction?

Yeah, not sure why they're feeling so confident about this one. I'd agree there is no "re-stitching" because no original element was removed -- things simply appear to be added. Tag wear is easy to fake. And the tag color is a simple matter of photo lighting. They're missing the forest for the trees. It doesn't seem to bother them that the autographs are identical, right down to the unusual stray dot by the Z. The identical poor placement of the TH in Smith doesn't seem to bother them. The fact that it has a lesser-quality retail patch on the sleeve -- one that is available on multiple online sites -- doesn't seem to bother them. And the fact that Yackel's jersey sold in November and this jersey shows up now doesn't seem to raise a red flag. I feel bad for the person who ends up buying this jersey. I also kind of feel bad that VA doesn't care enough about its reputation to at least pull the jersey and research it more thoroughly. The evidence seems to suggest that they could be auctioning a fraudulent jersey, but instead of doing more legwork, they just offer lame rationalizations and look the other way. Sad.
            Jeff Scott
            birdbats@charter.net

Comment

• Schmoozer
              Banned
              • Apr 2010

Hello Jeff,

Thank you,

Mark
              I'm sorry, but this is simply blatant disregard for the collectors, the hobby, and for abiding the laws of our land.

This is absolutely the same jersey. The signature could not be placed in the exact same location, with the exact same similarities (like the thickness of the pen on certain swoops and such.....and yes, Jeff, the "dot" too). What kind of a fool does this Mark take everyone for?

More importantly, what does this say about Vintage Auctions?

I already know what it says, and I proudly share the fact that I have never registered to bid on their auctions, and bever will. Why? Because I don't want to sift through the piles of garbage to maybe find a piece or two of authentic origin mixed in that I may want. I'll spend my time doing something more worthwhile.

Like cleaning my bird's cage......

Comment

• Birdbats
                • Nov 2005

Just checked on the Ozzie jersey and am happy to report that VA has done the right thing and pulled the lot.
                Jeff Scott
                birdbats@charter.net

Comment

• Robert Sanders
                  • Nov 2005

Just checked on the Ozzie jersey and am happy to report that VA has done the right thing and pulled the lot.
                  Great news! Props to you Jeff for pursuing this so hard and cleaning up a tiny bit of dirt in this hobby.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2009

good job jeff but looking at some of the lots i think va has alot more pulling to do.

Comment

• Schmoozer
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                      good job jeff but looking at some of the lots i think va has alot more pulling to do.
                      We're all ears.....list away.

Comment

Working...