Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ozzie Smith Jersey in Vintage Authentics Auction?

What do forum members think of this jersey? I note that the numbers on the size tag are blue, when I think that they should be black. Is this the only red flag?

http://www.vintageauthentics.com/cgi...unbr=120000058

Re: Ozzie Smith Jersey in Heritage Auctions?

Oops! That should be Vintage Auctions! My apologies!

Re: Ozzie Smith Jersey in VINTAGE AUTHENTICS? (3rd Time Right)

Grandpa is awake now...

Let me try this again with a correct identification of the auction house:

What do forum members think of this jersey? I note that the numbers on the size tag are blue, when they should be black. Any other red flags?

http://www.vintageauthentics.com/cgi...unbr=120000058

Thanks!

Robert

My favorite auction posting title boo boo was when an auction house had a technical difficulty for a few hours. When the auction was back to running, someone posted "ABC AUCTIONS IS FIXED!!!" Some people misinterpreted this.

I didn't use the auction house's name a second time, so as to not embarrass them again.

Banned

One thing that does puzzle me is the "O SMITH" NOB, as, unless a coach with that last name was with the team, Ozzie was the only Smith on the Redbirds in 1996. Jeff or Dave, can you chime in on this one?

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    One thing that does puzzle me is the "O SMITH" NOB, as, unless a coach with that last name was with the team, Ozzie was the only Smith on the Redbirds in 1996. Jeff or Dave, can you chime in on this one?

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    I just had a look at Getty Images and see that he did have "O SMITH" on the back of his jersey that year.

The O. Smith thing isn't an issue. He did that most (if not all) years with the Cards, whether there was another Smith on the team (Lonnie, Lee, Bryn, Keith, Willie) or not. Here's what concerns me: I've heard from people who know that Ozzie ordered and received many, many jerseys in his final season, most of which were given away as souvenirs. Jim Yackel has one on his site; note the autograph is in the same place.

Is it such a stretch to think someone would add a Busch patch and a tailored strip, dirty it up and call it a gamer? I have a Ron Gant issued jersey from '96 -- it also has the tailored strip. Look at the differences below (auction jersey on left, mine on right). Also, look at the differences in the Busch patch. The offered jersey's patch seems to have thicker black lines and other differences.

I don't know if the auction jersey is legit or not based on the photos, but I'd sure like to see it in person and compare it to a known legit exemplar. In other words, I'd need to do a lot more research before I'd feel comfortable with this one.

Man, that jersey at auction looks a lot like Jim Yackel's jersey. I just left Jim a message to see if anyone bought his jersey recently. Will keep you posted.

Here's the jersey on Jim Yackel's site (white background, smaller photos) next to the Vintage Authentics jersey (black background, larger photos). Am I the only one who sees the similarities?

The shared similarities in alignment on both jerseys of the lettering, numbers and buttons is scary. Add to that the autographs, which appear to my eye to be EXACTLY the same in EVERY detail, it seems very likely that we have another example on the market of a 'Lou Lampson gamed' jersey. I'll be curious to learn what you hear back from Jim.