Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEARS Auctions

MEARS Auctions

Is Mears a reputible dealer of game used items? I am thinking of purchasing from an auction they have and want to know if anyone knows about them? Thanks.

Re: MEARS Auctions

MEARS items are very well researched and come with detailed authentications. They are well respected in the Game Used memorabilia hobby. Good luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Banned

BUT like anything you need to do your homework don't expect it to be done for you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lokee View Post
    BUT like anything you need to do your homework don't expect it to be done for you.
    Agreed even the best make errors at times.

Speaking of Mears Auction did anyone win from their auction that ended early this morning? I was the high bidder on the Fisk jersey until the very end. I had a $5,000.00 high bid and was willing to go up to $10,000 until I read the thread from earlier this week. I was very concerned that if I won, I would be involve in the "litigation" and the jersey and or my money would be tied up for who knows how long. I think the winner got a great deal (ok, good deal) and beleive it would have gone much higher had the post earlier not been published. Hopefully the jersey will resurface in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraudfinder!! View Post
    Speaking of Mears Auction did anyone win from their auction that ended early this morning? I was the high bidder on the Fisk jersey until the very end. I had a $5,000.00 high bid and was willing to go up to $10,000 until I read the thread from earlier this week. I was very concerned that if I won, I would be involve in the "litigation" and the jersey and or my money would be tied up for who knows how long. I think the winner got a great deal (ok, good deal) and beleive it would have gone much higher had the post earlier not been published. Hopefully the jersey will resurface in the future.
    I was surprised at the final price of the Fisk. I really thought it would go for much more. It's sometimes hard to buy in to the memorabilia-as-investment strategy but, assuming the Fisk is what many seem to think it is, that shirt seems like a smart buy at $6k. I think it would be perfect for an REA auction, personally. If I had the money, I would've gone for it despite any threats of litigation. At worst, you'd get a refund, right?

Quote Originally Posted by skipcarayislegend View Post
    I was surprised at the final price of the Fisk. I really thought it would go for much more. It's sometimes hard to buy in to the memorabilia-as-investment strategy but, assuming the Fisk is what many seem to think it is, that shirt seems like a smart buy at $6k. I think it would be perfect for an REA auction, personally. If I had the money, I would've gone for it despite any threats of litigation. At worst, you'd get a refund, right?
    Yes, but attorney fees are non refundable...

Banned

The Fisk is an important lesson not to air certain things in public as tempting as it may be because you are angry or upset with someone. If the dispute had been kept private the item would have sold for much more. In any auction the bidders are forum members and lurkers for the most part and people see a dispute like that and they do not want to be involved. There was nothing to be gained by either party to discuss it here and both lost big time because they chose to do so. If the sale ends up going through the seller will really be hurt by losing his legal fees, court costs and realizing so little for the item he practically will have given it away. Mears will be hurt because of their legal costs and the ad money they laid out and receiving such a small commission.

Did anyone see the estimated value of the Reggie Jackson Angels shirt? I understand that it's direct from Reggie's closet, but $17k-$25k? Wow.

I noticed that during this auction, MEARS moved away from their practice of starting items at high opening bids without reserves and instead moved to a practice they originally dsiparaged of low opening bids with reserves. The end result was the same - a large number of featured items that did not sell.......

Personally, I would like to see them auction items at reasonable starting prices without reserves and let the market decide their values based on where they end at. If a consigner is not willing to do this, then don't bother taking their item....

Dave