Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Most Embarassing Moment

After the Skip Caray story, I came across this:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...0920_skip.html

FWIW, I do like the guy and would be totally wrecked if he stopped doing games for the greatest team on earth ... okay, third best team in the NL East. He's signed a number of autographs for me over the years and he's always been cool.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat View Post
    After the Skip Caray story, I came across this:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...0920_skip.html

FWIW, I do like the guy and would be totally wrecked if he stopped doing games for the greatest team on earth ... okay, third best team in the NL East. He's signed a number of autographs for me over the years and he's always been cool.

I took my wife up to a mall in massachusetts, cause David Givens ( former Patriots Wideout ) was signing...

Well , when we left, i said im getting an auto..i didnt tell her who..

Well David walked in wearing a Andre Tippett throwback jersey. Since the crowd was large, the line went in circles and even behind David. When we were standing behind me, she says ( very loudly )

"Who is signing anyway...who is this TIPPETT guy"

Needless to say, she didnt know who David was...or Andre Tippet....

eeshh

Then i began berading her..about what player do you know that would were his own jersey to the mall...even if it was TIPPETT!?!!?!?

i attended the 1991 all-star game and also the accompanying "fanfest" that was held in some nearby convention center. after getting tired walking around fanfest for half the day, i manage to find an empty chair to take a breather. i'm flipping through my magazines, programs, etc and some kid comes and sits down in the chair next to me. he starts asking me about stuff i've picked up. i show him some of the items and we start conversing. i asked him if he managed to get any autographs, what kind of stuff he collected, etc. he seemed pretty green to me. so as we're talking, a group of kids come up to him with some cards and ask him for his autograph. they were really young so i figured they must be mistaken in thinking that he was "someone". i already had a good joke in my head to share with him after the kids left about how long it would take the kids to figure out that he wasn't anyone. out of curiosity, i leaned over to see what cards the kids were giving him to sign. i realized he actually was the guy on the cards. craig biggio.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    i attended the 1991 all-star game and also the accompanying "fanfest" that was held in some nearby convention center. after getting tired walking around fanfest for half the day, i manage to find an empty chair to take a breather. i'm flipping through my magazines, programs, etc and some kid comes and sits down in the chair next to me. he starts asking me about stuff i've picked up. i show him some of the items and we start conversing. i asked him if he managed to get any autographs, what kind of stuff he collected, etc. he seemed pretty green to me. so as we're talking, a group of kids come up to him with some cards and ask him for his autograph. they were really young so i figured they must be mistaken in thinking that he was "someone". i already had a good joke in my head to share with him after the kids left about how long it would take the kids to figure out that he wasn't anyone. out of curiosity, i leaned over to see what cards the kids were giving him to sign. i realized he actually was the guy on the cards. craig biggio.

rudy.
    Did you get his autograph?

I always travel with baseballs and a pen as I collect baseballs signed by celebrities and athletes from any sport. In airports/planes I have gotten Terry Bradshaw, Dominique Wilkins, Norm from Cheers and others. 2 years ago I was in the Toronto airport waiting for a flight to Detroit. An older couple sits in the waiting area. The man looks familiar. He had very white hair and was in good shape for his age. I stared at him for about 20 minutes and realized...that guy looks like Gordy Howe! Im thinking...why would he be on this flight...WAIT....Im in Canada going to Detroit! Its got to be him! At that moment they called for first class to board and sure enough the couple gets on the plane. I waited for my row and went to my seat. I pulled out the baseball and made my way up to first class. The man was in the window seat next to his wife. I stuck the ball and pen out and said, "Mr. Howe...would you sign my baseball? He looked a bit puzzled but that always happens when I give baseballs to the celebs to sign. I stated that "I collect baseballs autographed by non baseball players. I always travel with baseballs since you never know who you might see". He smiles and takes the baseball and signs it on the sweet spot. His wife excitedly says with a heavy accent, " Now you have a baseball from someone from Denmark!"
    I took the ball, thanked them and slinked back to my seat.
    The ball is now proudly displayed in my office. His name was Felix something...you cant really read the last name.

Quote Originally Posted by mdube16 View Post
    "I collect baseballs autographed by non baseball players. I always travel with baseballs since you never know who you might see".
    Good to know I'm not the only one. Well, I mean, you see baseballs signed by all sorts of people for sale on eBay, but in a crowd of people getting autographs from a non-sports figure, I'm usually the only one with a baseball in my hand.

My most famous non-player signers include Arlo Guthrie, John Cleese and Gena Lee Nolin.

The best in my collection is a Frank Sinatra signed baseball I bought from the Halper collection. I see we are going OT here but there arent many of us out there

I'm going to reverse the story a bit.
    This summer I was at a Japanese Fukuoka Hawks minor league game and hanging outside the park while my son got some autographs and a little Japanese girl walked up to me and asked for my autograph, thinking I was some Cecil Fielder-like foreign slugger. I was sorely tempted to sign "CJ Nitkowski", who actually is on the Hawks, but I just couldn't do it...

By the way, Japanese players do their autographs in Kanji, and it looks like a painting. The fans buy special 8X10 boards for the players to sign on and they hang them in their rooms like art work. Then there's the Bento boxes you eat during the game, and the 6th inning balloon release...I fell in love with Japanese baseball this summer...can't believe it took me 30 years to finally go.

I seriously regret that with all the six-month deployments I made to Japan while I was in the Navy, I never once went to a ballgame.

I was a concierge at the Toronto SkyDome Hotel for years and got to know many of the players and their families over the years. In 1997, I got an awesome invite from Tim Johnson, the ex-manager of the Blue Jays (pls no Vietnam cracks, he is a very nice guy) to attend the Hall of Fame Game in Cooperstown. Jays vs. cal Ripken and the O's. Toured the Hall, and made my way into the offices to pick up my tickets for the game. Sitting in a waiting room in the Hall, and older gent sits down net to me and we start chatting. Turns out it's Warren Spahn!

Excellent guy, very pleasant. We talk about Canada and hockey and he gets caled into antoher room, so we say goodbye. I couldn't ask for an autograph as I was sitting there...didn't want to embarrass Tim, incase it was inappropriate to bother the HOF'ers in the inner offices of the Hall.

I picked up my tix and made my way out of the offices only to get lost. I found myself in front of a huge wooden door, so I pushed it open and it stuck a little, so I pushed a liitel more...right into Mr. Spahn, as he was in mid-interview, on camera with a ESPN! I bumped so hard that he tilted off the step he was standing on and almost tumbled into a bush. The interviewer wanted to kill me, the camera man almost tried to, but Warren took it in stride...he even said "It's my buddy from Canada...you gave my a great hockey body check" ! Class act, but I was mortified.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca