Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Al Kaline 1954 Jersey in REA

Legal- Funny story about Carew. He wont sign single signed bats either. SO a buddy of mine had a couple other guys sign a bat with dry erase marker and then had Carew sign it with sharpie. Once it dried, he just wiped off the dry erase signatures. Genius I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkb View Post
    Additional thoughts on Kaline. The negative behavior observed seems to occur when Al K is "jumped" unexpectedly for an autograph. I'm sure it gets tiring. There could be days when he is out in public where he is hit up continuously for autographs. A meal at a Detroit area restaurant probably impossible. Guess he just needs to use a stand pat no answer and walk away if he can. May 22? Where is this show? I'm GR a bit of a drive. I used to be a card dealer but just collect mostly Lions jerseys now.
    DC Sports, Lakeside Mall, Sterling HTS

As I wrote, he was not so nice at most show appearances with consistancy. For the earlier writer, that was great you were able to get him to sign all those inscriptions...he informed DC Sports he'll only do 3007 Hits or HOF 80.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Sadly, this is common knowledge about good ol' Mr. Tiger. He is very personable and nice at paid signings (I have attended two - one in the early-90's and one last year). But if you are unfortunate enough to meet up with him at spring training or out on the town, he can be a nightmare.

I'm not going to pretend to know what his deal is, but it probably has to do with being a public figure for over 50 years, not making near the money that today's players do (let's face it, he would have been a $20 million a year guy), and what he sees as people taking advantage of his kindness when giving his autograph in public.

I read an article a couple of years ago where Kaline stated that now that he is getting older, he can't remember names and faces as good, and it really upset him that people took advantage of his kindess by double-dipping (both IP and TTM).

Again, not defending the behavior, but I have only had good experiences with him, albeight they were paid appearances...

Banned

The interesting thing with somebody like that is if he hates the attention so much just move out of Detriot. He could walk around most areas without anyone recognizing him. And he may not have made 20 million but when he played he made well more than the average person and those salary amounts look tiny now but in the 50's-70's that was a mint. Did anyone here make near the $100,000 in the early 70's like Al did? And I don't get guys who are not nice at paid signings or fans who tolerate it. If noone shows up see how their attitude will change when you pay for a signing you are a customer as well as a fan. If you go to eat someplace and people are rude or not nice would you go back there? Celebrities and athletes should get the same treatment. And the inscription thing I defintely do not get if you are willing to pay for it he should write anything you ask unless it is something outrageous and controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    The interesting thing with somebody like that is if he hates the attention so much just move out of Detriot. He could walk around most areas without anyone recognizing him. And he may not have made 20 million but when he played he made well more than the average person and those salary amounts look tiny now but in the 50's-70's that was a mint. Did anyone here make near the $100,000 in the early 70's like Al did? And I don't get guys who are not nice at paid signings or fans who tolerate it. If noone shows up see how their attitude will change when you pay for a signing you are a customer as well as a fan. If you go to eat someplace and people are rude or not nice would you go back there? Celebrities and athletes should get the same treatment. And the inscription thing I defintely do not get if you are willing to pay for it he should write anything you ask unless it is something outrageous and controversial.
    Very well said.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com