Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation This MEARS LOA really bothers me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chipper-Jones-Ga...ht_2217wt_1167

A pair of batting gloves attributed by MEARS to Chipper Jones: they're generic Franklin gloves, they're not customized, no provenance, without even his number written on them, etc.

NOTHING designates these as used by Chipper Jones except the LOA which deems them "authentic"...

Banned

Re: This MEARS LOA really bothers me...

Thank you for posting. I was going to do this last night but was too tired. How could Troy write an LOA when there is no photographic evidence that I could find of Chipper ever using Franklin batting gloves. All I can find is Mizuno. I'm shocked how these could be attributed to Chipper. I'd love to know more.

Aaron

Guys,

Thanks for writing about these gloves. While doing our research, we noted that Chipper Jones wore many different styles of batting gloves. We have examples in our database of Mizuno, Wilson, TPX, etc.

We did note that there was no photo match for these gloves and that fact was included in our LOO.

My reason for issuing the letter was due to the fact the gloves were sourced directly from a Major League batboy that worked for the White Sox during the era of interleague play.

The batting gloves were purchased by our company. Some had numbers embroidered, some have numbered written in black marker, some were blank, with no number written on it.

Now, this might be a problem for some with identifier. I have personally seen Mark McGwire give batting gloves away that had no uniform number added. Just plain white Franklin gloves.

With regards to the collection of gloves that we purchased, all of them were in plastic bags with athletic tape indicating who the player was. The bat boy would put them away at night and mark who they were.

The collection consisted of embroidered, numbered, and plain non-marked gloves of stars, superstars, and common players. Based on the source of the gloves and the collection in it entirety, I issued the letter.

With that being said, and no exact photo match and questions being raised, I have purchased the gloves off ebay and will add them to our collection of Policy Samples.

Regards,

Troy Kinunen/MEARS

Banned

Troy,

I appreciate your response and how you handled this. I have a problem in general with these "batboy" sourses. Not picking on you in particular but just in general, I see these "batboy" or "came from an MLB sourse" things all the time on ebay or from other GUU members. But that really means bullox to me. Thats why we all need to do homework. Example...I could be a batboy and come up with fake gloves and other items and most people will believe me because I say I work for a team. There are tons of crooks and phonies out there that will take advantage at any turn they can.

I know you said you have images of Chipper wearing different gloves but I've just never seen it. I checked throught the 90's. There are lots of scammers out there and they will stop at nothing to doop whoever they can. I hope no one ever gets bad items but the reality is there are lots of crap floating around and always will be. I hope MEARS never becomes the victim of crap in the future. I understand who respected they are and what effort goes into the business. Thanks again for responding to this.

Aaron

Troy-

Thanks for responding to the thread. Comments below...

Quote Originally Posted by mears View Post
    My reason for issuing the letter was due to the fact the gloves were sourced directly from a Major League batboy that worked for the White Sox during the era of interleague play.

The batting gloves were purchased by our company. Some had numbers embroidered, some have numbered written in black marker, some were blank, with no number written on it.

Now, this might be a problem for some with identifier. I have personally seen Mark McGwire give batting gloves away that had no uniform number added. Just plain white Franklin gloves.

With regards to the collection of gloves that we purchased, all of them were in plastic bags with athletic tape indicating who the player was. The bat boy would put them away at night and mark who they were.

The collection consisted of embroidered, numbered, and plain non-marked gloves of stars, superstars, and common players. Based on the source of the gloves and the collection in it entirety, I issued the letter.

I'm surprised you didn't decide to add this information to each LOA from that lot. Since that provenance would certainly add credibility and value to any items from a batch purchase such as this. The story of a batboy labeling and collection gloves in individual bags builds more collector confidence than a random set of gloves anybody could purchase and wear (personally, I would have liked to see them still in the original bag).

Without that story, it would be the equivalent of selling a generic pro stock LVS bats with #25 written on the bottom and saying it was used by Mark McGwire. It might have been, but most collectors would stay far, far away...

That said, I think buying the gloves back was an honorable thing for MEARS to do.

Banned

props to mears for their action in this matter if only other authentication companies did the same.

I dont get why people put so much belief in LOAs, COA, LOO, LXX, CXX...whatever OPINION is put out there. The ONLY COAs that are legit in my mind are MLB, and the individual players COA such as the GTSM LaDainain Tomlinson COAs.

Banned

Those look like Franklins to me just not blue.

Banned

I mean all you have to do is a little research before calling people out.

It's like if you can take the time to post a message on here take the time to look at photos and do the research.

Totally agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokee View Post
    I mean all you have to do is a little research before calling people out.

It's like if you can take the time to post a message on here take the time to look at photos and do the research.