Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verbal Agreements

Anybody else here ever have issues with verbal agreements?

Example: just had one with a guy on a Mauer signed 06 bat. Guy says he could pay with a down in 48 hours of $500, and then when it is time for the down says he can't do it all....

Now, most that know me know I'll work with anyone. You do the down and then we'll go from there. I guess my biggest issue was waiting 48 hours to tell me. I've had guys take 6 months to pay, and then is better than the above.

Just my 2 cents.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Re: Verbal Agreements

I'm sure the guy needed the 48 hours to try and come up with the money. If he couldn't, there weren't any bad intentions on his part.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Bob,

I also think that verbal agreements carry different weight for different people, unfortunately.

BTW, you are selling a Mauer bat? I thought that you had been putting out the word you are a looking to buy one?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Bob,

I also think that verbal agreements carry different weight for different people, unfortunately.

BTW, you are selling a Mauer bat? I thought that you had been putting out the word you are a looking to buy one?

Ben
    Hey Ben - yes, I'm always looking for Mauer bats. Sometimes I sell them. Have one available. If I sell it great, if not...no big deal.

Verbal agreements carry alot of weight for me as I take it as one's word. If I had a financial issue, I would not commit from the START; or, I'd let the seller know a helluva lot sooner than 48 hours.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Banned

imo if you dont have the cash dont tell the seller you will buy or place a dp. if your trying to scrouge cash up tell the seller this at the time. when you sell stuff alot of people's interest in items is short because they have x amount of money and are looking to pick something up and if you respond to them that the item is pending sale alot of times they will just buy something else and if you write them back even a couple of days later telling them the item is not available they won't be interested anymore because they bought another item so by not telling the seller that you might have a payment issue and giving him the option to shop it to asomeone else you very well may cost him a sale.

One thing I've learned in life is to follow through with your commitments. If can can't do it or are aren't sure or don't want to, you don't have to commit. But once you commit you have to do it.

I've had more than one person on GUU tell me that they were interested in something I have, make an offer, we agree to a price and then NEVER follow through.

The excuses are many.

My favorite line is when I see in the Item wanted section, "Willing to pay top dollar for...XXXX" Too often these are just words.

Banned

I am guilty of making a verbal agreement to buy a Bartolo Colon BP jersey. I ended up backing out as I was buying it for a friend and he as it turns out was not interested in BP jersey's just jersey's worn in a game.

Still I do hate to break verbal agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    imo if you dont have the cash dont tell the seller you will buy or place a dp. if your trying to scrouge cash up tell the seller this at the time. when you sell stuff alot of people's interest in items is short because they have x amount of money and are looking to pick something up and if you respond to them that the item is pending sale alot of times they will just buy something else and if you write them back even a couple of days later telling them the item is not available they won't be interested anymore because they bought another item so by not telling the seller that you might have a payment issue and giving him the option to shop it to asomeone else you very well may cost him a sale.
    Well said. Something Ted forgets. No loss to him, he's not the guy out.
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Quote Originally Posted by Lokee View Post
    I am guilty of making a verbal agreement to buy a Bartolo Colon BP jersey. I ended up backing out as I was buying it for a friend and he as it turns out was not interested in BP jersey's just jersey's worn in a game.

Still I do hate to break verbal agreements.
    Lokee, just so you know....no worries on the Colon BP Jersey. I realize that things happen and try to give people the benefit of the doubt that if they back out of something they have a good reason. I agree it is important to do everything you can to keep your word but at the end of the day life is too short for grudges.