Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

What year did MLB change baseballs from AL and NL balls to the current Major League balls?

What year did MLB change baseballs from separate AL and NL balls to the current Major League baseballs?

Thanks in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Re: What year did MLB change baseballs from AL and NL balls to the current Major League balls?

Re: What year did MLB change baseballs from AL and NL balls to the current Major League balls?

However, I think some AL and NL balls intended solely for autograph signings of retired stars are still manufactured if specially ordered; though they're not used in games. I think the change in balls in 2000 coincided with the consolidation of league offices, and the elimination of the two league presidencies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    However, I think some AL and NL balls intended solely for autograph signings of retired stars are still manufactured if specially ordered; though they're not used in games. I think the change in balls in 2000 coincided with the consolidation of league offices, and the elimination of the two league presidencies.
    That premise is spot on. The only caveat that I would add is that a few NL and AL baseballs still snuck into play during the early weeks of the 2000 season...I had a Paul Konerko April 2000 homer that was a Budig ball, while one Ballhawk caught a Ricky Gutierrez (I think) blast on Waveland that was a Coleman ball.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    That premise is spot on. The only caveat that I would add is that a few NL and AL baseballs still snuck into play during the early weeks of the 2000 season...I had a Paul Konerko April 2000 homer that was a Budig ball, while one Ballhawk caught a Ricky Gutierrez (I think) blast on Waveland that was a Coleman ball.
    This is spot on as I did have the opportunity to view the "game used" ball (and other assorted memorabilia) collection from Cal Ripken's 3000th hit game (April 15th) @ the Metrodome and out of the 15 or so game balls that were saved, 2 or 3 were indeed Budig balls.