Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Question Re: 1969 spring trainig flannels

2000, I think you're on to something here. Brand is of the dimensions, height and weight wise, that would reasonably be accommodated in that era by a size 40, and the lack of year tagging (which also existed in both Pilots spring styles) is a possible sign as well. I'm looking to check some more photos, and will post when I do. The only possible sticking point is the lack of a front number, as the home whites (such as in the Jaster card) have one.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Re: 1969 spring trainig flannels

It looks as if there might have been other established teams than the Indians also wearing the 1969 MLB 100th Anniversary patch in '69 spring training. Check out the 1970 Topps card of Grant Jackson below:

The background certainly appears to be a spring training site, and this card was in the first series of the set that year, meaning that there is no way the photo could be a 1970 spring camp image. Any input pro or con would be appreciated.

Dave Miedema

I think the Grant Jackson photo was taken in Shea Stadium

Banned

Question Re: 1969 spring trainig flannels

This background is pretty cloudy. I've seen Shea's outfield background on other cards...if this is, indeed, it, it's hard for me to tell.

I guess I'll try to access some more 1969 photo of Phils players and see if I can find more evidence, or a lack thereof.

Dave Miedema

Found 3 photos of 1969 Phillies uniforms with the 100th Anniversary patch.

The first one is of Terry Harmon. This looks like Spring Training.

The second two are of John Penn and Bob Boone. However both players played 1969 with the Raleigh-Durham Phillies in the Carolina League, so I'm not sure whether the photos were taken during Spring Training or during the regular season.

Banned

Smile Re: 1969 spring trainig flannels

Nice work. I'm still looking for a chance to do my own research, but it looks like you may have answered my question already. Thanks, Bob.

Dave Miedema

Here are some photos of the 1969 Astros in Spring Training w/ the patch

Scipio Spinks and Bob Watson

Cesar Geronimo and Jack Billingham

Banned

Talking Re: 1969 spring trainig flannels

Bob, you're finding some choice photos there...many thanks. Does anyone else (or Bob) have more '69 spring traing photos with the patch visible on jerseys? I'd love to see 'em.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    Found 3 photos of 1969 Phillies uniforms with the 100th Anniversary patch.

The first one is of Terry Harmon. This looks like Spring Training.

The second two are of John Penn and Bob Boone. However both players played 1969 with the Raleigh-Durham Phillies in the Carolina League, so I'm not sure whether the photos were taken during Spring Training or during the regular season.
    Good work although I'm curious what makes you think these photos are from the spring of 1969 as opposed to the spring of 1970? Are they dated or were these players in different organizations then?

You may be right about wearing them in Spring Training in 1970. Here are 2 picture of Joe Sparma in an Expos jersey with the Anniversary Patch. He was traded to the Expos in December of 1969 so these pictures must be from 1970.