Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1989 Wade Boggs Autographed Game Used All-Star Bat~C235

This looks like an interesting bat. Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1989-Wade-Boggs-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Brad Ausmus is the Bossmus: www.thebossmus.com
    Tony Eusebio Game Used Collection: www.TonyEusebio.com
    Houston Astros Game Used Collection: www.AstrosGameUsed.com
    chris.josefy@gmail.com

Re: 1989 Wade Boggs Autographed Game Used All-Star Bat~C235

What color was the ink on the baseballs used in the 1989 All Star Game?

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I have known the seller for over 15 years and can attest to his solid relationship with Boggs (seller is a professional photographer who took a lot of pictures and traded them for autographs & GU equipment from Boggs & other Sox players from that era). As a matter of fact, I had a picture of Boggs & Ripken from one of those Pepsi All-Star Softball games that he took and had Boggs sign for me (and I have since added Ripken).

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury
    What color was the ink on the baseballs used in the 1989 All Star Game?

Reid
    The bat looks like an outstanding example of a Boggs gamer. I have answered my own question, though, as to the color of the ink of the 1989 All Star Game baseballs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Nice Bat.... Would have been GREAT if red ball marks covered the barrel. Can anyone explain the black ball marks? Thanks, John

Jim Caravello,

Any Ideas other than Spring Training use that would explain the black ball marks on the barrel?

Hi Game bats - most of the black marks you are seeing are from the Louisville smearing from use. I have spoken to the seller and he was a photographer for the Red Sox. Boggs gave him the bat at season end and the bat was used in the second half of the season. He didn't know if it was used in the All Star Game - but its definitely an AS bat - Boggs has the other bat issued to him. A nice piece for sure. Jim

Nice bat, and I like the way the price point is rising, especially since this appears to NOT be Boggs gamer from the actual All Star game (looks like Blue marks below Boggs auto instead of red/pink color from the 1989 All Star official game ball). As the owner of Bo's bat from the 1989 All Star game I wouldn't consider selling it for anything south of $5,000. The black smear marks on the reverse of the bat are from the smudging of the giant "LOUISVILLE" lettering. My only concern with the Boggs bat is that I was told that MLB banned these bats for having the huge "LOUISVILLE" on the reverse, so how could he have used the bat during the 2nd half of the season?

BTW--If I remember correctly Boggs homered right after Bo's monster 448 foot blast, so whomever owns Boggs actual 1989 All Star game bat also has a Boggs homerun bat!

Hi Jim,

I emailed the sellar and he confirmed black ball marks on the barrel. Do you think he is confusing the smearing with black ball marks? Did you speak with Boggs and confirm he has the other bat? Is there any chance more than two of this style bats were produced. Thanks in advance, I value your opinion.

I'm kind of bidding against myself here so to speak, as I am the high bidder on the bat...........

These bats were banned after the 1989 season, as they were also produced for the post season in addition to the All Star Game......

This bat could very well have been used in the All Star Game - it is quite possible that Boggs used this and hit a ball not on the colored lettering - very possible.......

Only two bats were provided to Boggs for the All Star Game...........

Jim