Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Did I just get the PUJOLS steal of the century?

Just my .02 here...

I own Matt Holliday's 2007 GU WS Hat (Purple Brim - they wore the all black for one game) and Matt has verified it as his hat (has Rockies LOA) and signed and inscribed it for me. He also said he only wore the one Purple Brim hat for the three games they wore them and it shows LOTS of use... like Matt and Albert, I keep my head shaved and I can tell you that with just normal wear - not working up a sweat - my hats can get game used looking quickly as a shaved head sweat more inside the hat than when I grow out my hair.

As far as the 5, I have a GU Rookie hat of Pujols (signed and inscribed ROY '01) that I will post pictures of later for you to compare.

As far as the WS patch, I'm not sure what year they changed, but by 2006 (at least on AS Game hat), they had gone to the new style patches that appear 'built into the hat' rather than sewn on. I'll post pictures of examples of those later as well.

Best of luck on your acquisition!

- Chris

To echo Jeff’s sentiments, I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade, but there is reason to doubt that this cap was worn by Pujols in the 2006 World Series.

As Jeff noted, there have been two previously offered caps (both home caps) that were alleged to have been worn by Albert in the 2006 World Series. I own one of them.

I make no definitive claim regarding whether my (or any other cap) was or was not worn by Albert. The only thing I can state with certainty is that both of the previously offered caps feature the World Series patch and both were signed by Albert.

The cap I own includes a Letter of Provenance from Albert’s cousin Wilfredo Pujols stating it was worn by Albert during the 2006 World Series. An additional document shows Wil holding the Game 3 and 4 signed home caps (see below; mine is the cap on the left).

I was told Albert did not know which cap came from Game 3 and which from Game 4, but that he retained his cap from Game 5. I have reviewed the DVDs and the patch placement on the cap I own appears to match the cap worn in Game 4.

Over the years, numerous items have entered the hobby with claims of having been given by Albert to Wil. Some items were, but many more clearly were not. Based on the photograph of Wil and his signatures on the LOP and accompanying document (as corroborated by his signed instructional league card), I can state with certainty that the previously offered caps did, in fact, originate with Wilfredo Pujols.

Of course, this in and of itself does not prove the caps were worn by Albert. But having collected Albert Pujols game used items since 2001, I can tell you it is exceptionally rare for an item to come directly from Albert (as opposed to the Cardinals clubhouse for example) without having been signed first. Presumably he does this for the same reason as Mark McGwire -- to ensure the authenticity of items attributed to him. I would be stunned to see any game worn World Series item come from Albert without a signature.

Again, I offer this information not to deflate anyone’s hopes, but to add additional perspective. If I can answer any questions or provide more information please feel free to contact me directly. Regards.

Rick Lucas
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    To echo Jeff’s sentiments, I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade, but there is reason to doubt that this cap was worn by Pujols in the 2006 World Series.

As Jeff noted, there have been two previously offered caps (both home caps) that were alleged to have been worn by Albert in the 2006 World Series. I own one of them.

I make no definitive claim regarding whether my (or any other cap) was or was not worn by Albert. The only thing I can state with certainty is that both of the previously offered caps feature the World Series patch and both were signed by Albert.

The cap I own includes a Letter of Provenance from Albert’s cousin Wilfredo Pujols stating it was worn by Albert during the 2006 World Series. An additional document shows Wil holding the Game 3 and 4 signed home caps (see below; mine is the cap on the left).

I was told Albert did not know which cap came from Game 3 and which from Game 4, but that he retained his cap from Game 5. I have reviewed the DVDs and the patch placement on the cap I own appears to match the cap worn in Game 4.

Over the years, numerous items have entered the hobby with claims of having been given by Albert to Wil. Some items were, but many more clearly were not. Based on the photograph of Wil and his signatures on the LOP and accompanying document (as corroborated by his signed instructional league card), I can state with certainty that the previously offered caps did, in fact, originate with Wilfredo Pujols.

Of course, this in and of itself does not prove the caps were worn by Albert. But having collected Albert Pujols game used items since 2001, I can tell you it is exceptionally rare for an item to come directly from Albert (as opposed to the Cardinals clubhouse for example) without having been signed first. Presumably he does this for the same reason as Mark McGwire -- to ensure the authenticity of items attributed to him. I would be stunned to see any game worn World Series item come from Albert without a signature.

Again, I offer this information not to deflate anyone’s hopes, but to add additional perspective. If I can answer any questions or provide more information please feel free to contact me directly. Regards.

Rick Lucas
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Thanks for the post. That's very good info to have. I'd love to see some more pictures of the hat that you have; inside and under the bill just to see what it looks like. If you get a chance, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

As promised, here's the pics of my two hats for reference...

1st, the 2001 GU Pujols hat w/ ROY inscription... notice the staining inside the bill from use and the sweatband, but no running of the #5:

And here is the Holliday GU 2007 WS Hat - only used for 3 games, but shows lots of sweat 'equity' on the sweatband, etc:

Hope this helps...

- Chris

here's an example of Curtis Grandersons 2006 world series hat...photo of him wearing hat was taken in May of 2006...photos of just hat are his world series home hat...same hat!! So yes, players did have patch put on regular season hat if they wanted...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    here's an example of Curtis Grandersons 2006 world series hat...photo of him wearing hat was taken in May of 2006...photos of just hat are his world series home hat...same hat!! So yes, players did have patch put on regular season hat if they wanted...
    Another photo of that hat:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ontent.12.html

UPDATE: I got the hat earlier today and just took pictures. I will post a few very soon so you guys can take a peek. Thanks.