Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Did I just get the PUJOLS steal of the century?

Greetings everybody. I’m new here, but hardly a new collector of game used items. I found the site while trying to find examples to photo match this Pujols item on eBay that I just won. Since I discovered the site, I figured that I would join, and I plan on doing the full subscription here very soon.

Anyway, back to this Pujols thing. The listing just ended and IF this is real … I JUST LANDED THE PUJOLS STEAL OF THE CENTURY I think.

The only reason I placed a bid is because I was able to find examples of Pujols game used hat with the 5 written in the same place and same way under the bill. Based on that, this was worth the shot.

If there are any Pujols collectors out there, please let me know what you think. I’m going to continue to do my homework on this and authenticate this. For the price, it’s well worth the shot that this is legit. My fingers are crossed that it is. I’m more of a hockey jersey collector, so I am not up to snuff on New Era models and years of manufacturing and things, but I figured that this was a once in a lifetime kinda shot … so I went for it. For less that $60 delivered this may be as close as I’ll ever get to winning the lottery.

If this is real, I can’t even calculate a price on this thing … FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Anyway, here is the listing ….

2006 Albert Pujols Cardinals Game Used Worn WS Hat! NR! – ITEM # 260604573763

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_500wt_928

Now, somebody please confirm this and tell me that I just added an incredible piece to my personal collection. If this is legit … I will freak out! Literally. Lol

PS: For the purpose of other members, I am a HUGE Pittsburgh Penguins & Pirates collector. If there are any other Yinzers or WVU folks on here, please say hello! Thanks.

Re: Did I just get the PUJOLS steal of the century?

Seems pretty dirty on the inside for only 3 Cardinal home games during the world series but I dont know anything about hats and I guess they could have put patches on regular season hats but I wouldnt think so.

Quote Originally Posted by randyjbeck View Post
    Seems pretty dirty on the inside for only 3 Cardinal home games during the world series but I dont know anything about hats and I guess they could have put patches on regular season hats but I wouldnt think so.
    I know ... I agree (as does the seller). But, I have seen during the World Series in years past that they did indeed add the patch on the side of the hats for the guys that are "attached" to their gamer hats from the season. Those dirty gamers stick out during the World Series and I have heard them talk about the patches and how they add them for the players during WS games before. So, who knows?

Based on that, one would think that it would be an easy photo match, BUT it's hard to find a photo from the 2006 World Series that does not have Albert batting. I've Google'd it every possible way that I can think of and I have yet to find a large enough detailed photo that shows Pujols fielding.

If anybody has a photo or knows of one, please add the link or contact me, as I will be happy to give you my email address. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by randyjbeck View Post
    I don't think they would take a regular season hat and sew a patch on it for the World Series, since they get gross quickly and hats are so cheap and a dime a dozen to the players, so all players get new hats for the WS, unless you're Joba Chamberlain. That's all I can say on hats. Steelpenguin, Good luck on the hat but remember in this hobby, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    I don't think they would take a regular season hat and sew a patch on it for the World Series, since they get gross quickly and hats are so cheap and a dime a dozen to the players, so all players get new hats for the WS, unless you're Joba Chamberlain. That's all I can say on hats. Steelpenguin, Good luck on the hat but remember in this hobby, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
    Oh ya ... I know. But, this was that one time that it was worth the shot. We'll soon find out if it is. Till this thing lands in my hands, the best that I can do is compare and research as I am. The next step will be driving to St. Louis when it gets here I think (and thank goodness that I have a contact with the Cardinals).

But, anyway you are right. I know the "too good to be true rule" ... as the seconds ticked down on that auction and it was still reasonable, I took a chance. Columbus took a chance once, look what he found (and please don't turn that quote into a civics debate anybody ... lol).

I'm by no means a hat expert, but the smearing of ink appears (at least to me) that someone may have removed one number and then added Pujols' #5. Like I said, not an expert, but this is probably why the hat stayed so low. Just a red flag for me, as well as some of the other things that have been mentioned.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Well, I just figured out another way to match this ... I just got the 2006 World Series highlight DVD for less that $5 on eBay. Video match is always good, right?

Ugh ... I can't wait to examine this thing. I can't wait for it to get here.

Here's your best evidence as of now

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    Here's your best evidence as of now
    Thanks ... I've seen that on eBay and Google. It's just not detailed enough with the DPI reduction. Thanks though. I appreciate the help. BTW - I love your handle. LET'S GO BUCS!

Hey fellas, I sold the hat and now know what the other side of a bargain feels like.Usually I am the one searching for the deals, but the being on the other end isn't the best feeling. Although I think it is a stretch to think it is the World Series hat he wore in the games, it sold for very cheap and have some seller remorse. Ebay lately has been a bargain bin of sorts from some of the deals I've seen.

The main concern that I had was the amount of use. It looks like he has seen more wear than a couple of games so I did not think it was consistent from what I have seen from other WS gamers. I have owned a couple of Pujols game hats and this one matched up well with everyone I had seen or owned. Hats are extremely difficult to authenticate and without knowing the history of the hat it makes it almost impossible but the characteristics all looked right to me. The WS patch is a bit of a mystery to me .As far as I know the players are usually issued World Series hats, I wonder how many and if players put the patches on other hats as well. I couldn't find a photo that gave a real good view of the one he wore in the home games but there is quite a bit of use on the hat which certainly gave me doubt to the possibilty of it being one used on the field for the WS.

To address Sparta's concern, I don't think anyone messed with the ink and changed the number. It looks like the ink has just bled and is lined up with the 5.

Good luck with the match attempts, I will send out the hat so you can examine it. I think its a small chance but if it turns out to be the one actually worn for the World Series I will throw up first and then want see it for myself! Go Cards!