Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Alex Gordon experts?

I bought a Alex Gordon bat from the Royals team store. The model is a black Louisville Slugger G174. The bat doesn't have a number on the knob of the bat. The bat also has a crack in it. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if this bat may actually be game used or if it is most likely a batting practice bat?

Re: Any Alex Gordon experts?

I forgot to post that the bat has 11/13/2009 and 34/31 oz on the knob, but there it Gordon's number isn't on the knob. Any information that could help me is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TJB1409 View Post
    I forgot to post that the bat has 11/13/2009 and 34/31 oz on the knob, but there it Gordon's number isn't on the knob. Any information that could help me is appreciated.
    it strikes me as odd that the bat has an order date after the Royals are no longer playing as it is postseason time. so it was either carried over into spring training or this season.

you might try emailing Rich (altman@hollywoodcollectibles.com) as he is the dealer for Alex Gordon.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I bought a Alex Gordon bat from the Royals team store. The model is a black Louisville Slugger G174. The bat doesn't have a number on the knob of the bat. The bat also has a crack in it. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if this bat may actually be game used or if it is most likely a batting practice bat?

Maple or Ash?

I've collected a few Gordon's and seen many more. I cannot recall seeing any G174 to date - though I can't say he never ordered any. I have seen primarily H238 (on Ash), C243 (on Maple & Ash), C329 (on Maple). Maybe could get verification on the Shipping Records forum. He uses primarily natural finish bats, he used black finish in the minors and a bit his rookie year. Since then nearly all natural bats, but still mixes in a black bat here and there. I saw him using a black LVS at the batting cages at Surprise in late March while he was rehabbing from a thumb injury.

I cannot recall seeing any Gordon game used bat (except for very early minor leagues & AZ Fall League) that did not have a # on the knob.

Is Alex's name engraved in the barrel? Is there any inscriptions? Pine tar?

A few pictures can tell a lot, if you can post them.

This is from April 2010, looks like his number is in the cupped end and on knob.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any further help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

I'm pretty upset because I bought the bat from the Royals team store at the stadium. They call their bats game used in the store and I am brand new to the website. I see that Alex Gordon has used a black bat this year in games, but I can't find a good picture to see what model he uses. I knew the bat didn't show much use, but it is cracked. Sorry for all pictures I couldn't get a good picture of the whole bat. If you want to see another part of it let me know. I really appreciate all the help guys I just started collecting game used bats. I have a Mark Teahen and a Jose Guillen.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

TJB1409,

Do they have any Ankiel items in the team store?

All I saw in the team store was Yuneski Betancourt, Mitch Maier, Mike Aviles, Willie Bloomquist, and a Coco Crisp.

I forgot to show a picture of the crack in the bat. Here is a picture of the crack in the bat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks,

Ive looked at a few sites (uspresswire.com, iconsportsmedia.com, photoshelter.com) and they dont have many close ups either.

Hmm, based on the pics that's a tough call. I'm guessing its a legit bat ordered by Alex and probably used by Alex. In my experience the Royals have been very liberal with the terms "GAME USED", it is understandably tough to keep track of the hundreds of bats they see throughout the year and tough to know which ones were broken or used where. Nonetheless, I take their "Game Used" label with a grain of doubt (I saw them claiming a Negro Leagues used jersey/hat were worn by Butler "it has his #16 on it", but the style was worn Billy rookie season when he wore #21).

Its possible this was used by Gordon in a game, but I'd be hesitant to say it definitely was because the use isn't quite characteristic. But that doesn't mean its not game used by Alex.

It looks like in a couple of the pictures that there was possibly tape on the bat that has been removed, you might be able to tell better in person. If it is tape residue its possibly a sign that the bat was used primarily for BP as many players tape the center or barrel of their BP bats.

I'm pretty upset because I bought the bat from the Royals team store at the stadium. They call their bats game used in the store and I am brand new to the website. I see that Alex Gordon has used a black bat this year in games, but I can't find a good picture to see what model he uses. I knew the bat didn't show much use, but it is cracked. Sorry for all pictures I couldn't get a good picture of the whole bat. If you want to see another part of it let me know. I really appreciate all the help guys I just started collecting game used bats. I have a Mark Teahen and a Jose Guillen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell