Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ellis View Post
    This story is gaining legs.

Deadspin, Yahoo, Cincy's paper, Sporting News and USA TODAY. And
    I was just interviewed by WCCO TV and Radio Sports Personality Mike Max on my expert opinion on the photo match and what my thoughts were on the bat. We did a TV spot at the WCCO studios and also did a spot for radio. The radio portion may air today before the Twins game. I don't know when the TV spot will air.

I have been on Maxy's show before over the years and he really likes to talk about sports memorabilia and its always a lot of fun.

I spoke to Bill yesterday for about an hour and it was a pleasure speaking to Bill.

Here is what I told Maxy in my interview, that I believed the photo of Rose holding the bat is in fact the same bat Bill owns. Which I explained to Bill over the phone yesterday.
    Was also on ESPN PTI show today.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyJohn View Post
    Chuck,

Where are you going with all of this?

Do you really think these guys at DEADSPIN would just make this stuff UP as they go? Do you really question whether they did their due diligence and made some calls to Mizuno, checked out what info they got, and then went with it WITHOUT making their list, and checking it twice?

This is, believe it or not, a professional news media who has a responsibility to report facts. They are open to lawsuits if what they print is not reflective of what they were told. And they check out what they are told, otherwise they would be spending all of their time in court instead of posting breaking news in the sports world.

Please...what is your agenda here?
    Who the heck is Barry Petchesky? You can see his work experience here:
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/barry-petchesky/5/452/551
    He's had five jobs in the past three years. Hmmm.

And you can read all his brilliant deadspin posts and stories here:
    http://deadspin.com/people/barryap/posts/

Here are the titles of his two most recent posts:
    College Wrester Condom Bombs Officer With Puke-Filled Rubbers;
    Survival Of The Fastest At Citi Field, As Man Robs Kid Of Foul Ball.

So, YES, I would question whether this guy has properly researched this story and presented the facts. For example, I really doubt that he talked with the Mizuno bat factory in Japan and got their 1985 shipping records for Pete Rose. I guess it's possible that The Sporting News or some other reputable source stated that Mizuno sent Pete 30 new bats at the start of the 1985 season, but I have never seen such an article.

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    Who the heck is Barry Petchesky? You can see his work experience here:
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/barry-petchesky/5/452/551
    He's had five jobs in the past three years. Hmmm.

And you can read all his brilliant deadspin posts and stories here:
    http://deadspin.com/people/barryap/posts/

Here are the titles of his two most recent posts:
    College Wrester Condom Bombs Officer With Puke-Filled Rubbers;
    Survival Of The Fastest At Citi Field, As Man Robs Kid Of Foul Ball.

So, YES, I would question whether this guy has properly researched this story and presented the facts. For example, I really doubt that he talked with the Mizuno bat factory in Japan and got their 1985 shipping records for Pete Rose. I guess it's possible that The Sporting News or some other reputable source stated that Mizuno sent Pete 30 new bats at the start of the 1985 season, but I have never seen such an article.
    What is your theory then, this bat and Steve's bat, and the bat from Leland's that was notated with Home run # were all BP bats and that Pete used corked BP bats and uncorked bats during the games? or that someone added cork to thse bats after they were used? I'm not understanding your point? Do you not believe the evidence to be overwhelming that Pete corked his bats ?

Dave

Pete probably did use a corked bat at times in 1985, but reputable news sources shouldn't just sling mud. They need to nail down their facts and provide quotes and footnotes.

It's possible that Pete had a few corked bats for training purposes or just for fun (e.g., during batting practice).

Why did deadspin run the story without a quote from Rose? I heard from a friend that Pete told Barry Petchesky that he would be available for comment tomorrow (Wednesday) so why didn't he wait a day?

Pete probably did use a corked bat at times in 1985, but reputable news sources shouldn't just sling mud. They need to nail down their facts and provide quotes and footnotes.

It's possible that Pete had a few corked bats for training purposes or just for fun (e.g., during batting practice).

Why did deadspin run the story without a quote from Rose? I heard from a friend that Pete told Barry Petchesky that he would be available for comment tomorrow (Wednesday) so why didn't he wait a day?
    I think the whole idea is having two independent sources to publish the story.
    In this case two sources: Bill Schubert and Steve Mears.

Example of Journalist standard.

Reporting rumours

Reuters aims to report the facts, not rumours. Clients rely on us to differentiate between fact and rumour and our reputation rests partly on that. There are, however, times when rumours affect financial markets and we have a duty to tell readers why a market is moving and to try to track down the rumour - to verify it or knock it down. If we hear about a market rumour and it is clearly affecting the market our normal procedure is to:

* Make sure from at least two sources that we are clear what the rumour is without spreading it ourselves.
    * Attempt to determine whether it is true or not.
    * Write a report, if necessary saying that a spokesman or spokeswoman was unavailable for comment, or that no comment was available and that we are continuing to check. In that report also write why the rumour is moving the market.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I think the whole idea is having two independent sources to publish the story.
    In this case two sources: Bill Schubert and Steve Mears.
    The existence of Pete Rose corked bats is not the story. Two different ones have been sold by big-name auction houses.

The photo id of the bat in Rose's hands is the new item here. So you would think that if deadspin was able to tie down the bat to a specific Reds game in 1985, then it would have quoted Bob Bartosz in the article and had additional pictures of Pete from that game or series.

The existence of Pete Rose corked bats is not the story. Two different ones have been sold by big-name auction houses.
    Two different PR4192 bats were sold by big name auction houses? Was there evidence of cork?

http://lelands.com/Auction.aspx/Auct...ed/26961/page1
    no mention of cork here.

BTW, the man with the greatest bat collection, Richard Angrest, is selling his Pete Rose bat. Weird timing.

http://lelands.com/Auction.aspx/Auct...d-of-4256-GU10
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

The photo id of the bat in Rose's hands is the new item here. So you would think that if deadspin was able to tie down the bat to a specific Reds game in 1985, then it would have quoted Bob Bartosz in the article and had additional pictures of Pete from that game or series.

It is my understanding that the photographer, Bob Bartosz is not willing to sell or allow access to any of these July 4th weekend photos.

You figure it out on your own.

Politics?

Pay-off?

A die-hard Rose fan wanting to protect him?.....or something more.

Or.....something way less, like he's older now (which he is) and doesn't want to be bothered going through a trunk full of old negatives in an attic he can't climb into anymore.

I emailed him a very nice letter, and have received no response, which was disappointing. But I have to respect the man's privacy.

In regards to Pete giving a response to DEADSPIN prior to the article coming out, it is my understanding that, if comment in hand, DEADSPIN would be obligated to print Pete Rose's response.

And just what do you think his comment would have been? "Yeah, you got me"?

Somehow I don't think it would fall along those lines. I think (as any rational person understanding the magnitude of this finding may) that it would be a spin of the truth, damage control, and would have been designed by his people to negate, dilute, and discredit the whole story....pretty much like Chuck here has been attempting to do this entire post.

We'll wait and see what Pete has to say as I'm sure he will be interviewed by a media outlet soon. Unfortunately for the baseball community, he will probably be interviewed by a sympathetic media, and the whole "response" with be something found from the rear-end of a 4-legged thoroughbred.

I hope for Pete's sake (no pun intended) that he just for ONCE says it the way it is, and is honest. If it were up to me, and I had the deciding vote, I'd still vote you into the Hall, Pete, even after this news. Do the right thing, getting caught up in another lie would crush ANY gains you have made towards reinstatement!! Fans want you in, so be humble God bless it and shuck off your people's B.S. damage control story certain to surface, and tell us the freakin TRUTH! It would show the world you are a changed man, and being so would maybe sway the geek Bud Selig to actually do something in the direction of reinstaing you.

Here is your chance....show us. Be less of the man you have been, and more of the man everyone wants you be. Honesty, Pete. That's the ticket to the promised land!!!

Banned

Tacprc are you Pete Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    Tacprc are you Pete Rose?
    I think he's a Pete Rose collector.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...832#post197832

who owns this PR4192 bat?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com