Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Pink bats in batting practice?

On May 30 I bought a "game-used" ball from the Charlotte Knights' Team Store. In fact, I think the ball, which is a MLB ball, is not a Knights' g-u ball at all. I think it's a White Sox BP ball sent down for the Knights ( The White Sox AAA team) to use in BP. The Knights' GM has confirmed to me in the past that Sox send down some of their slightly-used BP balls for this purpose, where they may get mixed in with the true International League g-u balls at the store.

The ball has a pink stain over a torn spot, suggesting it may have been hit by a pink bat on Mothers' day on May 9. I don't think it was game-used by the Sox, since it doesn't seem to have the rub-on mud, and it has the lighter-blue markings I've tended to see on practice-only MLB balls ( The ones that didn't pass the strict tests for g-u balls at the factory, and are sold more cheaply for BP only, according to a TV show I saw.)

So does anyone know if pink bats were used in BP that day, or were they reserved strictly for game use?

Re: Pink bats in batting practice?

a couple years ago I saw Phillies players in the batting cages using pink bats the Sat before Mother's Day.
    k

That's a helpful response, Kellsox. Thanks.

Last year I saw Troy Tulowitski using a pink bat the week after Mother's Day during BP

Thanks, Kylehess. Troy must have managed to hang onto his to save his other bats in BP, although he couldn't have used it in games after Mother's Day.