Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CampWest
    • May 2008

Who are you most pleased by so far in the 2010 MLB season

Its a holiday weekend and unofficial start of summer, so I'm countering this other thread with something more positive...

Who are you most pleased with?
    sigpic
    Wes Campbell
  • CampWest
    • May 2008

Re: Who are you most pleased by so far in the 2010 MLB season

I'm staying home, so I'll start with Mike Aviles.

Aviles had a great spring hitting about .400 with lots of XBH. Apparently that was not enough to win a job, because the Royals had traded Teahen to the White Sox for Getz and Fields. Fields hit the DL in spring and is out for the season. So the Royals needed Getz to succeed in order to salvage the trade. Aviles was benched. Hillman gave Aviles (the hottest spring hitter) just 1 at bats in one start over the first week and half of the season. Mercifully and stupidly, Aviles was sent to AAA. About three-four weeks later Aviles was recalled. In the next 21 games he's hit .345 avg/.360 obp/.476 slug with at least one hit in 18 of the 21 games.

Its typical of the Royals, Aviles hit .325 his rookie year 2008 over 102 games, was out nearly all of 2009 with an elbow injury. And he's given no shot until a guy (Getz) with a career .254/.314/.324 goes on the 15day - even then it took 2 more weeks before Aviles was called up (when Gordon was sent down).
    sigpic
    Wes Campbell

Comment

• BradleyERyon
      • Feb 2010

As an O's fan I must say there are lots of disappointments this season, or hell, this decade.... but I've been plesantly surprised with the performance of Ty Winnington so far this season..... .575 SLG, 13 HR, 32 RBI (hard to get when nobody's on base)

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
        • Sep 2009

I'll go with my favorite NL team the Cardinals with rookie 3B David Freese. David has been clutch so far this season wih runners in scoring position. The concern with him was defense coming into the season and he has really done well even making rolen-like barehanded plays.

For my AL team the Rangers, I'd have to say Vlad Guerrero.... .339 batting average, 12 Hrs and 42 RBI's....the numbers speak for themselves. Glad to see him injury-free again.

Comment

• vballGuy
          • Dec 2009

I'm a Jays fan, so very much biased here.

Jose Bautista -- 14 HRs leads the majors, and since last September, he's hit more HRs than anyone else in the majors.

Very nice surprise and a big reason why the Jays have hit the most HRs in all of baseball this season.
          ------------------------------------
          My Blue Jays Collection

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Carlos Silva of the Cubs...6-0 in 2010 after being a bust with Seattle previously. The Milton Bradley trade looks better all the time...

Dave M.
            Chicago area

Comment

• justinbittner220
              • Apr 2010

I think Guerrero gets my vote...

and Mike Leake.

Comment

• geoff
                • Nov 2005

Jose Batista from The Jays.He came out of nowhere And is Hitting Bombs like crazy.

Comment

• Manram
                  • Nov 2008

Although many predicted it, i would say miguel cabrera. He is just raw hitter

Comment

• gorilla777
                    • Aug 2009

Big Daddy Vladdy

And pretty surprising, as he looked like Gramps running around the bases last year. He is one of the most enjoyable guys to watch at the plate with his see ball, hit ball attitude.

Ben

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                      • May 2009

No question, Austin Kearns.

Comment

• skyking26
                        • Dec 2005

Austin Jackson and Miguel Cabrera are leading the Tigers in offensive categories....looking great!
                        ROBERT KOPPEL
                        Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                        and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2009

I think again it is too early to tell. I think Vlad is more a product of playing 1/2 his games in the Rangers' ballpark than anything else. If you notice alot of Rangers hot better with the Rangers than with other teams even those who appeared done. Last year it was Andruw Jones this year its Vlad and in 2008 it was Josh Hamilton.

Comment

• jbsportstuff
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
                            No question, Austin Kearns.
                            I've always been an Austin Kearns fan. Gritty player who gets it done.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2009

As a mets fan though I must say I am thrilled with Mike Pelfrey so far as well as the asian player they just inserted into their rotation who has pitched lights out although I cannot spell his name lol. Rod Barajas also has done well and Ike Davis is looking good.

Comment

Working...