Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Anybody ever purchase an item and have the seller refuse to sell?

Here is the situation. I purchased an item on eBay recently and the seller has basically refused to sell the item and it's starting to become a bit of an issue.

I paid for the item within a few hours, the seller tries to void the transaction, and refunded me the next day. I REPAID for the item again and contacted eBay.

Now ... does it not state CLEARLY on eBay and all listings within the user agreement that essentially sellers are responsible for their listings?

If true (and it is) is there any way I can avoid the cat and mouse game with this seller? I want the item. I realize by the price that there may have been an error on the pricing, but is that my fault? I don't think that it is.

I'm not trying to be difficult with this seller. I'm a pretty easy going and amicable guy. But the thing that bothered me was this guy no question is a big-time flipper for one thing and the seller did not even bother to contact me to explain the situation or apologize or anything. Despite my purchase and compliance with their "must be paid within 24 hours" policy the seller just assumed that they could send a void transaction notice and that I'd agree and walk away.

Not so fast on my end. The not offering an apology first was a major no-no in my book. I paid for the item and the contract should be honored, right?

So I ask ... has this happened to you as a buyer or seller and if you were the seller would you honor the error on your own listing?

Being that I am the buyer here, I don't think that I should be left in the cold here with nothing but a refund. I am basically being held liable as a buyer. Something with that just is not cool with me as a buyer or seller. We've all taken it in the shorts on an item as seller's on eBay. I have never, not once complained to a buyer because they got a deal on one of my listings. I guess I don't think that it's right or fair.

Any thoughts or comments on this one? Better yet, any advice in handling the seller and dealing with eBay which is going to have to mediate this I think. I'm expecting another refund soon .... and that ain't gonna fly!

Re: Anybody ever purchase an item and have the seller refuse to sell?

Can you give us an idea of the type of error? Like was it a BIN error, or it just went low? You seem to acknowledge that it was obviously an error, so I'm assuming it was a BIN.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    Can you give us an idea of the type of error? Like was it a BIN error, or it just went low? You seem to acknowledge that it was obviously an error, so I'm assuming it was a BIN.
    Yep, the Buy It Now was lower than expected (waaaay lower). Honestly, at first I thought the item may have been a knock-off, but figured, ah what the heck. To be very honest, I was at a kid's birthday party and quickly browsed my way through a few listings, saw it and it was a total impulse. I looked at this listing again later and figured that I had a REAL NICE DEAL. At that point I kinda knew with the seller had no clue what they had or it was a fake. I don't think that this one is a fake.

This seller has good stuff, but by searching his buying and selling, the seller is a flipper. I can't figure out the price for the life of me. This seller should have been more careful on the proofread. I don't list till I triple check and I don't use a third party to manage my listings either. If the company this guy uses made the error, he needs to take it up with them ... not me. If he goof'd, well, what can ya do? It's not my fault or responsibility.

I kinda feel for the guy, but geesh, this is not the first issue I have had with a transaction this week .... lol. Buyers don't wanna pay. Now sellers don't wanna sell. Why am I always making things right for all of eBay? Geesh! It's wearing me out. I'm getting this from both ends now. lol

Oh and BTW ... based on another negative left in his feedback, it's NOT the first time he's pulled this as an excuse. He has a few comments where items were sold out from bidders as well. Life for this guy is great as a flipper, as long as he wins each battle.

So, all I know is I purchase and paid for an item and I want it. Is that bad? Esp at this point?

PS: I'm a 4.9/5 star, 100% guy BTW! Just to be clear! ; )

Banned

Ebay sucks. When you sell if you list at BIN at market value noone buys unless you have an item that is super rare or hot. All everyone wants is to get it dirt cheap and flip it for a profit on here or on there, which often happens on the straight auction listings starting at .99 cents that Ebay encourages.

When you buy alot of times you get fake or low quality goods from unscruplous sellers or you have "power" sellers that Ebay lets do whatever they want. The rule should be if a seller does not complete a transaction they cannot sell anymore and ditto for a buyer.

You could take legal action but it probably is not worth the time and money unless it is a one of a knd item that you cant get elsewhere.

I would get the refund, leave negative feedback reflecting what happened, and move on. You aren't out anything at that point and if you force the deal through, goodness knows what condition the item will be in when you get it. Maybe it's just me, but I think pushing this too far is just going to cost time and aggravation.

Banned

Another magnificent thread.

We are supposed to give you advice when we:

A) Don't know what the item is;

B) Don't know what the value of it may be;

C) Don't know what you paid for it.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZzz zzzzzz.

Err..zzz..Um, oops, I'm sorry!

I would hire Gloria Allred, and go BALLS to the WALLS my man!!! Sue him into tomorrow, that filthy slouch!!!

honestly? just let it go

there's nothing that you or ebay can do to force this guy to take a huge hit on an item if he doesnt want to...and by you trying to push him to do so because he didnt offer an apology or proof read his listings up to your standards makes you come off as worse than him in my book.

take your refund, leave your feedback, and call it a day.

Your honest enough to say the guy made a mistake in the price, be honest enough to let him refund the money. Leave your feedback, move on. No-one can force the Guy to ship the Item, including Ebay!

The biggest Ebay issue I see people complaining about on this Forum about are when they EXPECTED to get a smoking deal & they didnt get their way. It`s all about Crying because they didn`t get to Flip something, this includes large scale Dealers.

Sean

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ferro39 View Post
    honestly? just let it go

there's nothing that you or ebay can do to force this guy to take a huge hit on an item if he doesnt want to...and by you trying to push him to do so because he didnt offer an apology or proof read his listings up to your standards makes you come off as worse than him in my book.

An Ebay transaction is a contract so you can sue for "specific performance" if the item meets certain criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by ferro39 View Post
    honestly? just let it go

very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMan
    Your honest enough to say the guy made a mistake in the price, be honest enough to let him refund the money. Leave your feedback, move on. No-one can force the Guy to ship the Item, including Ebay!

The biggest Ebay issue I see people complaining about on this Forum about are when they EXPECTED to get a smoking deal & they didnt get their way. It`s all about Crying because they didn`t get to Flip something, this includes large scale Dealers.

Sean
    again, well put...

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481
    An Ebay transaction is a contract so you can sue for "specific performance" if the item meets certain criteria.
    yeah, let me know how that turns out - good grief...

robert