Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manram
    • Nov 2008

Almost another perfect game

Armando Galaragga had it and lost it because of the ump. The man should be fired and lose his job
  • yanks12025
    • Jan 2006

Almost another perfect game

But ump blew it on the final play. I know others will be mad but i think its best that it was not a perfect game. Because with 3 in one month kills the whole event of a perfect game.

Comment

• Rboitano
      • Nov 2005

Re: Almost another perfect game

Wow thats horrible, I would have gave him a smack in the mouth for that call.

Comment

• spartakid
        • Oct 2008

No way! I was at Braden's and I was still rooting for Armando, especially following Jackson's catch. I don't even know what you say, the last play and the runner was out by a step at least, WOW, just WOW.
        Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• cigarman44
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by yanks12025
          But ump blew it on the final play. I know others will be mad but i think its best that it was not a perfect game. Because with 3 in one month kills the whole event of a perfect game.

Dumbest thing Ive seen in writing today...dude got hosed

Comment

• yanks12025
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cigarman44
            Dumbest thing Ive seen in writing today...dude got hosed
            Sorry its the dumbest thing but it's the way i feel. A perfect game is something that should only come around acouple times and not three times in a month.

Also what if the base runner was called out but on replay he was safe, that would be worse than what happened.

Comment

• dcgreg25
              • Jan 2008

Just finished watching the game....even as an Indians fan I am disappointed in the call. Even Jason Donald was upset about being called out...you could see him put his hands on his head after being called safe. Really too bad.

Comment

• jjkraner
                • Feb 2009

Worst call I have seen in years.

Comment

• cigarman44
                  • Aug 2007

Sorry its the dumbest thing but it's the way i feel. A perfect game is something that should only come around acouple times and not three times in a month.

Also what if the base runner was called out but on replay he was safe, that would be worse than what happened.
                  We have time limits on history now? And they should only happen when you say so? Got it...

He wasn't safe and wasn't called out so why even try to make an argument out of it?

Since we are playing what if's, I guess you would be ok with it if it would have just happened to Phil Hughes as well...

Comment

• cjclong
                    • Feb 2006

I heard Galarraga was one out from a perfect game and switched over in time to see the play where the runner was called safe on what would have been the last out. He appeared to be so clearly out that the announcers and I wondered if Galarraga missed the bag. The replay appears to show he touched it and it was a good half step ahead of the runner. If the pithcer touched the bag, and again it sure appeared he did the batter was CLEARLY out. On the last out of the game on a ball hit to first where the pitcher is covering there is no reason for the umpire not to be in perfect position to make the call. You never want to accuse someone of doing something intentionally, but on a play that important where most umpires would have given the benefit of the doubt to the perfect game you have to wonder if the umpire just didn't want him to have the perfect game for some reason. I know its unfair to say something like that but I can't imagine how the umpire "missed" it otherwise. What kind of rep does he have as an umpire?

Comment

• yanks12025
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cigarman44
                      We have time limits on history now? And they should only happen when you say so? Got it...

He wasn't safe and wasn't called out so why even try to make an argument out of it?

Since we are playing what if's, I guess you would be ok with it if it would have just happened to Phil Hughes as well...

I'm not going to agrue about my opinion. Sorry my opinion about a play is different than yours. I just feel it would be bad for baseball with so many perfect games. And i would feel the same way if it was a yankee player.

Comment

• yanks12025
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cjclong
                        I heard Galarraga was one out from a perfect game and switched over in time to see the play where the runner was called safe on what would have been the last out. He appeared to be so clearly out that the announcers and I wondered if Galarraga missed the bag. The replay appears to show he touched it and it was a good half step ahead of the runner. If the pithcer touched the bag, and again it sure appeared he did the batter was CLEARLY out. On the last out of the game on a ball hit to first where the pitcher is covering there is no reason for the umpire not to be in perfect position to make the call. You never want to accuse someone of doing something intentionally, but on a play that important where most umpires would have given the benefit of the doubt to the perfect game you have to wonder if the umpire just didn't want him to have the perfect game for some reason. I know its unfair to say something like that but I can't imagine how the umpire "missed" it otherwise. What kind of rep does he have as an umpire?
                        But do you think the umpire would want to go down in history for that type of call.

Comment

• CampWest
                          • May 2008

He wasn't so that doesn't really matter in this discussion.

The fact is, the runner was out. The bad call cost the guy a shot at immortality. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't feel this way if it was a Yankee pitcher.

There are bad calls in baseball. Its part of the game. A ball-call on a should be strike 3 gets followed by a single that breaks it up, etc. But they say a fielder never wants to break up a no hitter and an umpire shouldn't either.

Oh wait, the umpire was Jim Joyce... Yeah, I think he was looking for a reason to break it up. The guy always seems to call games like the game is all about him. He is horrible.

The rules are a little wacky sometimes too, I think there's been a couple guys that had no hitters through 9 or 10 innings, but didn't get credit because it was a tie game - only counts if its a complete game.
                          sigpic
                          Wes Campbell

Comment

• cigarman44
                            • Aug 2007

I'm not going to agrue about my opinion. Sorry my opinion about a play is different than yours. I just feel it would be bad for baseball with so many perfect games. And i would feel the same way if it was a yankee player.
                            No Camp,

He said he would feel the same. My ass...

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by CampWest
                              He wasn't so that doesn't really matter in this discussion.

The fact is, the runner was out. The bad call cost the guy a shot at immortality. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't feel this way if it was a Yankee pitcher.

There are bad calls in baseball. Its part of the game. A ball-call on a should be strike 3 gets followed by a single that breaks it up, etc. But they say a fielder never wants to break up a no hitter and an umpire shouldn't either.

Oh wait, the umpire was Jim Joyce... Yeah, I think he was looking for a reason to break it up. The guy always seems to call games like the game is all about him. He is horrible.

The rules are a little wacky sometimes too, I think there's been a couple guys that had no hitters through 9 or 10 innings, but didn't get credit because it was a tie game - only counts if its a complete game.
                              i think there has been 6-7 times where a pitcher had a perfect game thru the 9th but the team could not score a run for him. perfect games are as much a combination of skill and luck.

read this book 27 Men Out for details on an umpire role in a perfect game.
                              http://www.amazon.com/27-Men-Out-Bas...5529252&sr=1-6
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com
                              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

Working...