Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    According to the seller of this bat. Pete was selling items 25 years ago.
    I was talking about important awards; World Series rings; World Series and All-Star Game bats; bats, balls, and jerseys from significant games; etc.

However, it is true that Pete sold some of the items related to his 4191 and 4192 Hit games.

I have read that Pete sold to Greg Walker's father, Dennis, the S. Rae Hickok Award belt that he was given for being named the 1975 Professional Athlete of the Year by a panel of 250 national sports writers.

And he might have sold other significant items to Dennis Walker. I don't know. Greg may have a list.

In the late 1970's or early 1980's Pete also began selling his own uniforms, bats, and equipment. However, it might have been the case that friends of Pete, like Whitie Willenborg, were really driving the business in order to enrich themselves. I don't know.

Banned

My dad bought most of Pete Rose's stuff back in the mid-80s. He was master of ceremonies at the opening of my dad's sports museum in Medford, Oregon back in 1984 or 85. I'm gonna get the inventory list from my mom soon of what he had in there, but I know he had many of his bats, jerseys, rings, baseballs, etc. and of course the Hickock belt. I know my dad believed he had the record breaking mizuno bat too, but I'm not sure that he did. Maybe Pete just told him that. It talks about it in this SI magazine back in 1989. I think it says 2 or 3 different thought they had the record breaking bat. I don't think Pete was always honest about what he sold to people. Just my 2 cents. This is the SI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Now Zane Burns has one on ebay for 100k. The corked Mizunos are coming out of the woodwork now!

Heritage is auctioning the jersey Rose worn for his 4000th hit, and after reading this thread, I had to chuckle when I read this in the Heritage auction listing:

"All shenanigans aside, Pete Rose stands alone as the game's most prolific hitter, holder of what is arguably the most important record in the sport. That's an honest, incredible achievement, completely unsullied by any misdeeds."

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Heritage is auctioning the jersey Rose worn for his 4000th hit, and after reading this thread, I had to chuckle when I read this in the Heritage auction listing:

"All shenanigans aside, Pete Rose stands alone as the game's most prolific hitter, holder of what is arguably the most important record in the sport. That's an honest, incredible achievement, completely unsullied by any misdeeds."

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Ouch...

Obviously that description was written before Bill's post hit and became public.

I think this is kind of a good time to revisit a thread from last year, close to this time.... post 45 would be a fairly good starting point, and shed a bit of insight into some of the posts on this thread. Link below...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ose+corked+bat

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    Now Zane Burns has one on ebay for 100k. The corked Mizunos are coming out of the woodwork now!
    Didn't even bother to cover this one up it looks like....wonder what the story is behind it... Was it corked after the fact? Used in BP where it didn't matter? Or did he really just not care and used it in a game that way?

I saw a couple corked bats awhile ago that were claimed to be Sammy Sosa's. It had his number on the knob and appeared to be his writing...what was interesting was that it was a pro model bat only it did not have a name on it....There was just a blank area where the block letters or signature usually would be. Looks like he was cautious not to have his name associated with it but if I remember right the one that broke did have his name. Anyone remember for sure?

fyi, Earlier this afternoon I talked with Steve Wolter on the phone. He told me that he did not buy the Bill Schubert bat directly from Pete Rose in 1989 -- as was stated in the deadspin article. Rather he bought the bat in 1995 from a person who walked into his store. So there is no direct chain of custody from Rose to Wolter -- a key point in all of this. No one knows who handled the bat between 1985 and 1995, and whether they altered it in any way.

Shortly after the deadspin article appeared Steve asked Barry Petchesky to correct it. I just checked deadspin, and so far Barry has not issued an update. Great reporter!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyJohn View Post
    I think this is kind of a good time to revisit a thread from last year, close to this time.... post 45 would be a fairly good starting point, and shed a bit of insight into some of the posts on this thread. Link below...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ose+corked+bat
    I stand behind all my comments.

Banned

I just got off the phone with Bill.

Any of you in the Sacramento area should immediately tune in your local CBS and ABC new stations. He just completed two interviews from his home.

They will be aired on the 4:00 o'clock and 5:00 o'clock local news stations (I believe channel 10 and 13, respectively) TODAY.

The news medias led Bill to believe that this will also be aired in San Fran and Los Angeles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    fyi, Earlier this afternoon I talked with Steve Wolter on the phone. He told me that he did not buy the Bill Schubert bat directly from Pete Rose in 1989 -- as was stated in the deadspin article. Rather he bought the bat in 1995 from a person who walked into his store. So there is no direct chain of custody from Rose to Wolter -- a key point in all of this. No one knows who handled the bat between 1985 and 1995, and whether they altered it in any way.

Shortly after the deadspin article appeared Steve asked Barry Petchesky to correct it. I just checked deadspin, and so far Barry has not issued an update. Great reporter!
    I'm not going to argue chain of custody, beacuse this issue with every PR4192, especially anything from Pete and stated by Greg Walker

But I will say that I stand by the words of Steve Wolter himself as stated in my LOA from him and signed by him. "This is one of the finest 4192 game used bats we have ever handled or seen. We guarentee 100% the authenticity of game use."