Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

Awesome story photomatch . So are you keeping the bat or sending it to an auction? Great pickup either way
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dcrules01 View Post
    Awesome story photomatch . So are you keeping the bat or sending it to an auction? Great pickup either way
    I plan on keeping the bat. Cork or no cork, I think the PR4192 is a great model.

Re: Pete Rose PR4192 photomatch?

Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    Chuck,

The photo credit is on the inside cover. The pic was taken by Bob Bartosz. He told me he took the picture, but couldn't tell me what ballpark it was taken in.

Bill
    OK. Thx. Theoretically Bob should be able to find the photo negative and tell you when he took the picture.
    p.s. I met Bob once. I flew to Philadelphia for the first Sportsfest. Bob picked me up at the airport and drove me to his house. I bought a Rose bat from him. I think it was a model R3631, definitely not a PR4192.

Banned

Re: Pete Rose PR4192 photomatch?

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    OK. Thx. Theoretically Bob should be able to find the photo negative and tell you when he took the picture.
    p.s. I met Bob once. I flew to Philadelphia for the first Sportsfest. Bob picked me up at the airport and drove me to his house. I bought a Rose bat from him. I think it was a model R3631, definitely not a PR4192.
    I wrote Bob a couple of times and he recognized the photo he took, but said he took 1,000s of Rose pictures and he wouldn't be able to look at all of them. I told him the photo was in 1985 and asked if he could just tell me what park the photo was taken in. I never received a response.

My hunch is the pic was taken in Philly only because of his location and the other photos he has taken seem to be in Philly.

Steve / Cowboy John,

Please don't take offense, but I am wondering whether your PR4192 bat is a game model as opposed to a replica.

Your bat has a mushroom knob. Bill's doesn't. I also have photos of PR4192 bats from Greg Walker and Chris Smith, and their bats look like Bill's.

Does your bat have the letter "A" stamped into the knob?

Thanks.
    Chuck

Steve / Cowboy John,

Please ignore my last post.

I just got off the phone with Bill, and he pointed me to the American Memorabilia website where there is a slightly larger photo of your bat's knob.

I can fairly clearly see the A there.

Chuck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    Steve / Cowboy John,

Please ignore my last post.

I just got off the phone with Bill, and he pointed me to the American Memorabilia website where there is a slightly larger photo of your bat's knob.

I can fairly clearly see the A there.

Chuck

No problem Chuck. He used both style knobs in 1985. I did some fairly extensive research before I bid on the bat. I did even more than I normally would have because it was being auctioned off by AMI.

Shortly after I received the bat, I went to a signing to meet Rose, and had some pictures taken of him with the bat. I posted the stroy of the meeting here months back. He asked me how I got the bat, instantly recognizing it as one of his gamers. He was NOT happy about the fact Bobby Wine sold it and made money on a nice "gift" he (Rose) had given him. He turned to Rod Carew and told him it was a gamer of his he had given to his old coach, and Rod just shook his head. Tony Gwynn, who was sitting there too blurted out "I would have sold it to. You're WORTH a lot of money!" It was pretty funny, but Rose wasn't laughing.

Here he is holding the bat...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Steve, Thanks for the story and the pictures. Chuck

Banned

http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/01/13/red2qa.html

Q. The book has brought forth some of your accusers again. Your former friend, Tommy Gioiosa says you were using a corked bat when you were chasing Ty Cobb's hit record in 1985. He also said that 1985 is the year you financed a cocaine deal. He said he picked up $50,000 cash at your house, drove to Florida, and that seven days later he brought you $100,000 in a Gold Gym's bag. Everybody held you up on pedestal in '85 when you on the verge of breaking Cobb's all-time hit record. These sorts of accusations tarnish that pursuit, don't they?
    A. You know what I would tell you to do? Go up to (memorabilila seller) Steve Wolter (in Montgomery) and get that 4,192 bat and take it to an examiner and see if there's any cork in it. I guarantee you there won't be. ... If somebody has a corked bat that has my name on it, bring it on down.

Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/01/13/red2qa.html

Q. The book has brought forth some of your accusers again. Your former friend, Tommy Gioiosa says you were using a corked bat when you were chasing Ty Cobb's hit record in 1985. He also said that 1985 is the year you financed a cocaine deal. He said he picked up $50,000 cash at your house, drove to Florida, and that seven days later he brought you $100,000 in a Gold Gym's bag. Everybody held you up on pedestal in '85 when you on the verge of breaking Cobb's all-time hit record. These sorts of accusations tarnish that pursuit, don't they?
    A. You know what I would tell you to do? Go up to (memorabilila seller) Steve Wolter (in Montgomery) and get that 4,192 bat and take it to an examiner and see if there's any cork in it. I guarantee you there won't be. ... If somebody has a corked bat that has my name on it, bring it on down.
    Looks like some people need to take a road trip to Pete's and bring 'em down to him.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com