Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Michael Jordan Game Used Shoes..HELP

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    Save your money...No authenticator can guarantee you anything it is just their opinion. They have no way of knowing whether Jordan wore them or not. The only way to know for sure is if Jordan wore than them and you saw him physically remove them and hand them to you. You are much better off asking knowledgeable Jordan collectors (ones who have years of experience and well respected in the hobby for their expertise) who can identify them as being made for Jordan to use in a game, then by evaluating use and characteristics it can be concluded it has a good chance Jordan actually wore them.

About the year, Jordan would not have worn these in the Finals against the Sonics, that was the 96 year and he wore the famous patent leather shoes. In the Finals, the team went to all black shoes as well. If I remember correctly this model was used for part of the 97-98 season.
    Authentication based on a definitive photomatch would provide certainty.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Authentication based on a definitive photomatch would provide certainty.

A photomatch is a great way to authenticate an item obviously. That does not require paying money for an authenticator to evaluate the shoe though. It's not part of the service that they go out and seek every photo from every game to attempt to match the shoe. It's a task that would take hours and hours of research and even at that may not be possible.

Shoes are tough to photomatch, easy to style match but to find an exact match of these shoes to a particular game is one hell of a stretch and if it would be possible to do, its not the job of the authenticator. My point was that why pay someone to "authenticate" the shoe when a knowledgeable collector can take a look at see if its model issued for game use to MJ....

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    A photomatch is a great way to authenticate an item obviously. That does not require paying money for an authenticator to evaluate the shoe though. It's not part of the service that they go out and seek every photo from every game to attempt to match the shoe. It's a task that would take hours and hours of research and even at that may not be possible.

Shoes are tough to photomatch, easy to style match but to find an exact match of these shoes to a particular game is one hell of a stretch and if it would be possible to do, its not the job of the authenticator. My point was that why pay someone to "authenticate" the shoe when a knowledgeable collector can take a look at see if its model issued for game use to MJ....
    MeiGray does photomatch authentications. I have owned basketball shoes that have been photomatch-authenticated by MeiGray. Shoes are tougher than jerseys to photomatch, I agree, but when you are working with high resolution photos, such as MeiGray has access to through their contract with Getty, it can be done in many cases. The vast majority of collectors do not have access to the high resolution images owned by Getty.

I agree with your general point that authentications are often a waste of money, but true photomatch authentication is an undeniable exception. Once you start photomatching with high resolution images, it irreversibly changes your perspective on and approach to collecting. Other than getting the jersey or shoes directly from the player as he walks off the hardwood, there is nothing that compares to it. Of course, there are many, many good items that cannot be photomatched, so this type of authentication is far from the "be all end all" of collecting. As for these Jordan shoes, I do not know whether such an authentication service would be useful, but wanted to point it out as a possible option.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

-

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    MeiGray does photomatch authentications. I have owned basketball shoes that have been photomatch-authenticated by MeiGray. Shoes are tougher than jerseys to photomatch, I agree, but when you are working with high resolution photos, such as MeiGray has access to through their contract with Getty, it can be done in many cases. The vast majority of collectors do not have access to the high resolution images owned by Getty.

I agree with your general point that authentications are often a waste of money, but true photomatch authentication is an undeniable exception. Once you start photomatching with high resolution images, it irreversibly changes your perspective on and approach to collecting. Other than getting the jersey or shoes directly from the player as he walks off the hardwood, there is nothing that compares to it. Of course, there are many, many good items that cannot be photomatched, so this type of authentication is far from the "be all end all" of collecting. As for these Jordan shoes, I do not know whether such an authentication service would be useful, but wanted to point it out as a possible option.
    Things have definately changed in that way, photomatches are possible even on items that are tough when you have high res photos and videos. Most of the items I have seen with the photomatches are documented for a certain game and the research isn't too extensive to find photos from a particular game. When you have no idea of what game or general area of a game and its from 13 years ago....the chances are slim to none that a photomatch is possible.

I agree with you as well on the way photomatching has changed things...I have subscribed to mlb.tv for the sole purpose of matching some of the bats I have. Another reason I suppose someone would want something authenticated would be for selling it....alot of beginning collectors put alot of stock into the COA's and paperwork that is for sure. After joining this site and seeing all of the items "authenticated" that really aren't legit its changed my viewpoint on it....I'd rather work with someone who specializes in a particular player and his characteristics. There are some very very knowledgeable player collectors on this site alone!

Hey Guys-

Wanted to followup with you and let you know that thanks to everyone's expertise and input, I decided to go ahead and purchase the pair of game worn Jordan shoes. I believe I found a style match from a game back in 1997 where the Bulls are playing the Clippers. I posted some new pictures of the shoes and would love feedback. Let me know what you think, good or bad

Thanks again for everyone's patience and help. This site is the absolute best!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Congrats on your MJ gamer! It may be all down hill now. Look great and like I said sig is 100% legit now you can see a nice shot of the sig with the bigger pictures, I knew right from jump it was fine! Congrats again.

Thanks so much! I already have them in a display case and hanging on my wall. Now my biggest challenge will be to photo match them. I found a style match which I have posted but I cannot zoom in without losing clarity. I am pretty sure I paid way below their value which makes this find even better. Thanks again for all your help in educating me about these!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Guys. I appreciate everyone's help with taking a look at the shoes. They have been proudly showcased in my collection since acquiring them. I am a several months away from purchasing my very first home and am looking to part with the majority of my collection, including these shoes. I have no idea as to how I should go about selling them. Auction house? Ebay? Craigslist? I am not too familiar with Jordan gamers so I have no clue as to what I should be asking. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwill82 View Post
    Hey Guys. I appreciate everyone's help with taking a look at the shoes. They have been proudly showcased in my collection since acquiring them. I am a several months away from purchasing my very first home and am looking to part with the majority of my collection, including these shoes. I have no idea as to how I should go about selling them. Auction house? Ebay? Craigslist? I am not too familiar with Jordan gamers so I have no clue as to what I should be asking. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
    Whats the Provence? That depends on the value I believe. Have you got them authenticated? How about the autograph? I think if you dont have any of these it loses value for the lack of each. So I would assume what you should be asking is the value, which is right around what you paid for them.