Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever Try Asking A Player To Inscribe "Game Used"?

Has anybody on here ever had luck in asking a player to add an inscription to something game used (Like "game used 2005,gamer,etc.)?

Re: Ever Try Asking A Player To Inscribe "Game Used"?

I had an Eric Dickerson SMU game used jersey and I sent it to Tristar and paid extra for him to inscribe it "gamer". No dice. He wouldn't do it. I've since sold it and I got my $ back. Some do and some don't. Guess on who it is.

Banned

Yeah I usually have good success!!!

On items we have autographed by athletes we all ask them to inscribe the item with "Game Used and the year it is from"
    Most players if given the right place to autograph will add Game Used to the items.
    But when you go to an autograph signing you have to kind of do it quick. Becuz I have seen agents tell there players to not sign "Game Used". As far as the gentlman with tristar im not surprised way too much time for the player and other people to talk him out of it.

The only time I've ever been turned down was when I asked Chipper Jones to sign his rookie helmet with "my rookie helmet." (It has #16 on the back.) He asked where it came from, then he actually tried it on - and it fit - but he wouldn't inscribe it. He did add a nice signature across the brim though.

The first time I can recall hearing stories about a player refusing to sign "gamer," or at least making some sort of judgment on whether or not the item was actually used by him was Wade Boggs. I believe he used to write "not used" or "Not worn" or something like that on jerseys, etc. On the other hand, you have guys like Andruw Jones who'll pretty much write anything you ask them to.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Banned

Forum readers-

Players will usually add a year or "GAME USED" when asked. I've only had a handful of players refuse including........

Steve Carlton-Refused to sign his 1986 green St. Pat's hat AT ALL! I was forced to get the show promoter to force Carlton to sign it. I then saked him to add "game worn 1986" and he about blew a fuse! He did add "1986", however, and I then asked him to hold the hat while I snapped a photo for authenticity. Not a pretty picture!

Dave Hollins-he was always a tough autograph for game used equipment. When he was traded from the Phillies to California, I asked him to sign his very rare 1991 Phillies helmet with the Desert Storm sticker on back. He signed the bill, however, did not add "GAMER 1991" as I asked. When I handed the helmet back to him and asked to add the additional notation, he became quite pissed and yelled, "DON'T PUSH IT".

Rick Wise-I have his 1971 Phillies game worn road jersey and hat from his no-hitten against the Reds. He is the pitching coach in our Independant League, and I have asked him for the last 3 years to sign the hat, each time his team plays our Somerset Patriots. He has to be the most bitter ex-player I have ever met. Not only will he not sign my equipment, he refuses to even say hello to the fans or EVER sign an autograph-PERIOD. I have offered to pay him $25. per autograph, buy him a hot dog or pay whatever price he desires, however, he will not even acknowledge me anymore. I'm aware that he does a few autograph shows in Boston, and may have to make the drive to get this done.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Last weekend we did an autograph signing with Willie Harris and he did sign a game used 2004 White Sox jersey "Game Used" and one of his bats from The White Sox Garage Sale he signed "Game Used".

He did take all three bats that people had him autograph and take practice swings with them. I know two of them came from the White Sox Garage Sale, I do not remember where the third came from.

I wonder if Dan D. can get the Ripken St. Patrick's Day Signed As "Game Used"- maybe it'll be worth something.
    Sorry- couldn't resist

Eric, that's not nice getting Dan's hopes up. Cal is doing an upcoming signing with MAB and they clearly state that he will not sign any game used items

CSA Shows did a huge show outside of Washington DC last weekend which many Forum members were at. They had several Nationals players and Frank Robinson there so I brought several game used items.

Every player signed my items "game used" or "gamer". Nick Johnson signed several Yankees bats that we bought from Yankees-Steiner and he inscribed them with the appropriate year on their too.

I was in line with the Huggins & Scott Auctions people as they got their Frank Robinson Nationals jersey signed and inscribed "2006 Gamer" by Frank. I think that will be going into their next auction catalog.

Hello Bulbus:

Just curious, I was looking at the info. on the upcoming MAB signing for Cal in Jan 07 and I did not see anything about him not signing game used. It does say on the site that any player has the right to refuse to sign any item but I was wondering where you saw that. Perhaps I am going blind lol.

Thanks
    Brett